The Student Room Group

How are you feeling about your future job prospects post pandemic?

Poll

How are you feeling about your future job prospects post pandemic?

With the future of employment looking uncertain for so many people at the moment during the pandemic, it can feel difficult to those who are just entering the job market or thinking about future careers prospects at the moment.

However, how are you feeling about the job market post pandemic? Are you concerned about how it may look in the next year, or in a few years time? What are your worries if you are now just starting your degree, A-levels, or GCSE's?

What are your concerns, if you have any?

Let us know your thoughts!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by StrawberryDreams
With the future of employment looking uncertain for so many people at the moment during the pandemic, it can feel difficult to those who are just entering the job market or thinking about future careers prospects at the moment.

However, how are you feeling about the job market post pandemic? Are you concerned about how it may look in the next year, or in a few years time? What are your worries if you are now just starting your degree, A-levels, or GCSE's?

What are your concerns or worries, if you have any?

Let us know your thoughts!

This may sound terrible, but it honestly influenced my decision to begin Nursing. I was considering doing nursing anyway and it definitely cant be your sole reason for going into it... BUT, it just made me realise how much control the government has over us, and how much things can shift in such a short space of time. Out of nowhere, suddenly all work and school was shut and businesses are closing down. I fear for the future job opportunities because there are more people looking for jobs due to being laid off and simultaneously less jobs to go to as businesses have been closed down. If it got any worse, I could honestly have imagined another punk/depression era. However, in Nursing you are pretty much always guaranteed a job. They always want nurses :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm in a similar situation to the person above- I want to go into a healthcare career (diagnostic radiography), so if anything covid will increase the demand for healthcare workers, and healthcare degree holders are pretty much guaranteed a job in their chosen field thanks to the NHS.
Never been more glad to be studying medicine.
Original post by Ramipril
Never been more glad to be studying medicine.

same w/ Nursing :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by FerretPun
I'm in a similar situation to the person above- I want to go into a healthcare career (diagnostic radiography), so if anything covid will increase the demand for healthcare workers, and healthcare degree holders are pretty much guaranteed a job in their chosen field thanks to the NHS.

gotta get that job securiteeee
Graduated from my masters, and left the country. That's a pretty good reflection of how I feel about the UK's job market right about now..

I mean, that's not quite the whole story. I've worked abroad for the past 5 years, but me and my wife were planning on coming back for good this year. The pandemic quickly changed that, and we left again in the summer. The job market in the UK was pretty dire before the pandemic, and its looking especially bleak now. Wages are low compared with what you can earn elsewhere, and living costs are really high, so no wonder people are struggling. Sure there are a handful of sectors that still pay pretty well, but for the majority of normal people, its not great, its a lot of work for a very un-inspiring quality of life.

The job market isn't the only reason we left, it was also just the general mess of how this pandemic was handled here, and the fact that there is no clear end in sight for countries like the UK, except for keeping our fingers crossed for a vaccine.

That's my advice for graduates in the UK. We as a people are far more reluctant to move abroad to work than most peoples (aside from Americans, who make us look very international by comparison), but there is a wide world out there with plenty of options. If your struggling in the UK, check your options abroad. You might find that you can get more money elsewhere, or that the type of work you want but can't get in the UK, suddenly becomes an option somewhere else. etc. In difficult times, try not to limit yourself.

Obviously some people can't, with family/relationship reasons, but if you can.. take a look at what is out there. because its going to be a tough tough few years back in the UK.
So I chose that I still feel confident about pursuing my chosen career as I want to go into Cyber Security and I'm pretty sure that jobs in computer science have mostly been secure as the people I know who are adults and are in the general area of computer science have been especially busy due to the pandemic and it is a lot easier for people in tech to work from home which gives me a sense of security about my chosen career path (just started A-Leves)
So glad to see a thread on this :biggrin: understandably a lot of attention since lockdown has been on the year 11s and year 13s but as a graduate i have felt a bit invisible by the government :ashamed2:.
I didnt do a placement year so already i was a year 'ahead' of a lot of my course friends and a lot of my friends from outside of uni are continuing with uni so it did feel quite daunting to graduate straight into the job market when everyone around me was mostly still in education.
I didnt want to do a masters just for security in having another year to sort of ride out the pandemic (not saying people who are doing a masters are doing that just if i had done one it would have been for that reason) because you only get masters funding once and im fed up of studying right now to be honest. I plan to do a masters a few years down the line either in illustration or military history. My masters will be self indulgent and purely for enjoyment rather than what is employable which is something i had to weigh up when choosing my undergraduate.
I did enjoy my subject but my lifelong passion has always been art, i chose product design because the industrial elements are very employable and it has a lot of cross over with stuff like business, marketing and graphics so it left leeway into those sectors.
I'm glad i made that decision now as with corona a lot of companies are manufacturing PPE and these sectors are classed as keyworkers.
I start my job tomorrow in a factory that produces PPE amongst other key equipment. Originally i applied for the PPE role but was given a different role due to my university degree being more suited to a slightly more challenging position.
I'm nervous but hopeful :smile: my advice to anyone who has just graduated would be to seek help from a jobcentre. There is a stigma towards the JCs and people on benefits in general but imo the resources, emails and links were equally as valuable as the universal credit payments.
The job i am starting on monday started off as an email to me by the DWP :smile:
Just started Alevels this Monday n gosh I am soooo tired. I also getting a bit irratated by the constant use of masks during school n how we need to sanitise before n after a lesson but it’s calm. And of course I had to leave everything to 10 o clock today(Sunday) both notes n hw. I stupidly decided to do all my notes on the weekend, but I forgot I get easily distracted oops. Anyone else? Ughhh I wanna go back a month into quarantine where it was chill n my friends could do park meet ups in the sun. My cousin is still in quarantine abroad.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
extremely depressed considering i spent the equivalent of £80,000
GBP that i actually have to pay back starting 6 months from now, to invest my life in the UK and now the economy has collapsed and my last 4 years of investment has financially ruined me.
feel like im stuck with my job until the economy picks up whenever that might be
I'm quite lucky in that the COVID pandemic has actually created more jobs for me... I've got a BSc and MSc in molecular genetics and diagnostics. I start my first post-Uni job tomorrow working in a COVID testing laboratory, planning to do this for a year to build up my lab experience and then return to Uni to work with my MSc project supervisor to do a PhD potentially on COVID but most likely N. meningitidis and gonorhoeae :smile:

The job only exists because the company I'll be working for is massively increasing their testing and diagnostic capabilities to assist the NHS with COVID samples.
Original post by CoolCavy
I start my job tomorrow in a factory that produces PPE amongst other key equipment. Originally i applied for the PPE role but was given a different role due to my university degree being more suited to a slightly more challenging position.
I'm nervous but hopeful :smile:

Best of luck @CoolCavy! Do you know what exactly you'll be doing the role? :smile: I'm also starting my corona-related job tomorrow, although I'm working in the laboratory doing the diagnostic tests on the swab samples. Seems like for some COVID has actually created more job opportunities, although quite niche ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending