The Student Room Group

The Current Year 10 Chat Thread (2020-2021)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Ra_Ar
well, this is awkward. How is year 10 so far for everyone? I mean apart from the new rules with social distancing, etc

XD yr10 okay, but I’ve only been at school for two days so....and I know you didn’t mean the new rules part but does anyone have to put hand sanitiser every time you leave and enter a class?? We do and my hands are soOooo dry now now
Original post by ApplePi55
XD yr10 okay, but I’ve only been at school for two days so....and I know you didn’t mean the new rules part but does anyone have to put hand sanitiser every time you leave and enter a class?? We do and my hands are soOooo dry now now

are u excited to go back to school tomorrow?
i didnt believe that there would ever be a second lockdown but now im starting to think it may be true
Reply 82
Hi! My name is Eghosa! 🙂

What subjects are you studying? (Don't forget the Exam Board!)
Edexcel Maths (Higher)
AQA English Lit
AQA English Lang
AQA Combined Science (Higher)(I'm hoping that by Year 11, I'll get to do Triple/Separate Science)
Edexcel Religious Studies
Edexcel French
OCR Computer Science
Edexcel Design Technology

What is/are your favourite and least favourite subject(s)?Favourites:
Maths (idk why lmao), French (I chose my options in Year 9 and I switched between doing this subject a lot.), Computer Science, DT
Least favourites: ENGLISH!! (i just don't understand it but somehow I'm in top set 😬)

What grades do you want?
All 7s, 8s and 9s

What's your dream future occupation?
I want to study engineering at a Russell Group uni. I'm thinking about Electrical Engineering atm

What are your hobbies/ interests?
I love running! I'm thinking about joining a local athletics club this year.

What are your thoughts about year 9 and leaving it?
I'm kinda upset that I didn't get to finish Year 9. It was such a chill year 😔

How are you feeling about starting year 10?
In all honesty, I'm actually pretty excited about Year 10. I'm most excited about work experience because I'll be more aware about what I want to do in the future.
That pretty much sums up my feeling for Year 10. Good luck everyone!!
~Eghosa :ciao:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by owlknightdragon
are u excited to go back to school tomorrow?
i didnt believe that there would ever be a second lockdown but now im starting to think it may be true

Kinda but kinda worried there’d be much much more work because we barely started school last week, and yea I think there would be a second lockdown which would be a shame :frown: I work terribly at home and we might miss some important stuff working from home (like physical coursework, is that the word?? Dunno how to explain it).
Reply 84
Original post by eomo12
Hi! My name is Eghosa! 🙂

Edexcel Maths (Higher)
AQA English Lit
AQA English Lang
AQA Combined Science (Higher)(I'm hoping that by Year 11, I'll get to do Triple/Separate Science)
Edexcel French
OCR Computer Science

Maths (idk why lmao), French (I chose my options in Year 9 and I switched between doing this subject a lot.), Computer Science, DT
Least favourites: ENGLISH!! (i just don't understand it but somehow I'm in top set 😬)

What grades do you want?
All 7s, 8s and 9s

I want to study engineering at a Russell Group uni. I'm thinking about Electrical Engineering atm

In all honesty, I'm actually pretty excited about Year 10. I'm most excited about work experience because I'll be more aware about what I want to do in the future.

Spoiler

Hiii and I feel exactly the same about yr9 and 10, year9 is like the forgotten year, it doesn’t really matter lol (In my opinion, for most schools) I feel so sorry for the current year 11s who were just in yr10 :frown: they barely got any attention or to do any work
Original post by VilasL06
Hey summerberry19 - sorry for the late reply,
Basically what I did was trying out lots of different ways of active recall (testing yourself on something) and finding what works best for you. So for example I tried Quizlet (a flashcard app which a lot of people already use) as it is good at testing and spacing out that testing. I also found another flashcard app called Anki which was just as good, so I searched on YT during the summer hols to find out which flashcard app was better - there were mixed views. But I preferred Quizlet only because the interface looked nice and motivated me to study, even though Anki had a more clear spaced repetition system.

Another method that I have heard from Ali Abdaal and others is Notion (a note-taking app) - don't mistake me, I know that note-taking is not the most efficient method of learning, but you can adapt this note-taking app to your own way of testing yourself. Just use the toggles as flashcards. For example a question could be "Which three structures are only found in plant cells?" which would go in the toggle and the answer would be hidden under the toggle - all you need to do is click the toggle and the answer will appear. For me, this method didn't work out best so I found a slightly better routine (but this toggle flashcard method is totally fine too) - the Google Sheets method.

So this method involves you using the Google Sheets app (a spreadsheet app) and you can use it like flashcards. You just put the question in the A-column and the answer in the B-question. And the best thing about this is that you can turn the text colour of the second column white so you can't see the answers, prompting you to actively use your brain to find the answer! This is active recall in action. Also, if you want to add a question involving labelling something (e.g. the Earth), you would add a picture and move it to the A-column, then in the B-column you can put "From top to bottom: blah blah blah". A great thing about this app is that you can use it on your phone so you can test yourself on the go!

Overall, I have decided that I'm going to use Quizlet for shorter facts and keyword definitions and the Google Sheets method for longer, more complex questions because of space.
So as I'm now in Year 10, I started trying these methods out for real. For Geography, our teacher told us to write summary notes after each lesson on a pink sheet (e.g. Erosion, Transportation, Deposition if you've done that topic yet) as there would be a mini-test the next week. If there were main keywords/facts on the summary notes I would quickly put it into Quizlet (I am only going to do Science and RS questions on Google Sheets). Furthermore I have implemented a new study routine and in my Geog study sessions I do this routine of making summary notes and putting them into flashcards the next session.

So yeah, there are different ways but find what best works for you - I have listed some of my ideas above if you need help working it out. I hope I have helped you in some way. If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'm here to help!

Sorry to bother, but why is note taking ineffective? It’s the method I use, and I actually can’t stand flash cards or apps like Quizlet, I guess to me it’s more like rote learning which actually doesn’t really improve critical thinking skills if that makes sense? Not coming for anyone’s revision techniques, just trying to see if I’m doing anything drastically wrong!
Hiii and I feel exactly the same about yr9 and 10, year9 is like the forgotten year, it doesn’t really matter lol (In my opinion, for most schools) I feel so sorry for the current year 11s who were just in yr10 :frown: they barely got any attention or to do any work

Are you by any chance an anime fan? And by that I specifically mean Haikyuu!! but I mean... 🧐
Original post by summerberry19
Hey dudes,
Sorry I’m kinda late ( got a bit caught up with school and stuff) but anyway...

I hope everyone’s finding school ok! Everything’s changed so much but I guess a fresh start is good :smile:

So for GCSE I’m taking (drumroll please, haha jk)...

WJEC EDUQAS English Lit & Lang (doing Ozymandias at the moment)
Edexcel Maths
OCR Gateway Sciences (higher)
OCR Food Prep and Nutrition (really fun actually)
Edexcel Geography B (Haven’t has a lesson yet!)
AQA German ( we got a new teacher and she’s really nice)
AQA Art Textiles (so fun!!)

And we have to do PE, Philosophy (basically RE) and PSHE compulsorily.

My strengths are defo English and Biology but I’m terrible at Maths and Chemistry (oh no)

My hobbies are baking, writing and reading, I guess?! :smile: I’m also a massive fan of Illenium...

Anyway, that’s it I think! I hope we can help each other out this year! Bye!!

Aaaah you have so many talents! I tried embroidery during lockdown and it went ok - you need to give me some tips and ideas! :biggrin: We haven’t got any predicted grades or anything yet so yeah!

Hello! That’s so AWESOME! What’s your favourite subject?

Aaaah me too, I think! Both my parents are psychiatrists actually! I have no idea what I want to be though!

Nice to meet youu. My fave is definitely chemistry and biology, and i also enjoy cooking as well!!
Original post by sakura_23
Sorry to bother, but why is note taking ineffective? It’s the method I use, and I actually can’t stand flash cards or apps like Quizlet, I guess to me it’s more like rote learning which actually doesn’t really improve critical thinking skills if that makes sense? Not coming for anyone’s revision techniques, just trying to see if I’m doing anything drastically wrong!

Ye, for me I prefer note taking as well - apart from like one or two subjects as I find it easier - I think it’s more based on how you as an individual learn like audio and visual and stuff?
Original post by VilasL06
Hey summerberry19 - sorry for the late reply,
Basically what I did was trying out lots of different ways of active recall (testing yourself on something) and finding what works best for you. So for example I tried Quizlet (a flashcard app which a lot of people already use) as it is good at testing and spacing out that testing. I also found another flashcard app called Anki which was just as good, so I searched on YT during the summer hols to find out which flashcard app was better - there were mixed views. But I preferred Quizlet only because the interface looked nice and motivated me to study, even though Anki had a more clear spaced repetition system.

Another method that I have heard from Ali Abdaal and others is Notion (a note-taking app) - don't mistake me, I know that note-taking is not the most efficient method of learning, but you can adapt this note-taking app to your own way of testing yourself. Just use the toggles as flashcards. For example a question could be "Which three structures are only found in plant cells?" which would go in the toggle and the answer would be hidden under the toggle - all you need to do is click the toggle and the answer will appear. For me, this method didn't work out best so I found a slightly better routine (but this toggle flashcard method is totally fine too) - the Google Sheets method.

So this method involves you using the Google Sheets app (a spreadsheet app) and you can use it like flashcards. You just put the question in the A-column and the answer in the B-question. And the best thing about this is that you can turn the text colour of the second column white so you can't see the answers, prompting you to actively use your brain to find the answer! This is active recall in action. Also, if you want to add a question involving labelling something (e.g. the Earth), you would add a picture and move it to the A-column, then in the B-column you can put "From top to bottom: blah blah blah". A great thing about this app is that you can use it on your phone so you can test yourself on the go!

Overall, I have decided that I'm going to use Quizlet for shorter facts and keyword definitions and the Google Sheets method for longer, more complex questions because of space.
So as I'm now in Year 10, I started trying these methods out for real. For Geography, our teacher told us to write summary notes after each lesson on a pink sheet (e.g. Erosion, Transportation, Deposition if you've done that topic yet) as there would be a mini-test the next week. If there were main keywords/facts on the summary notes I would quickly put it into Quizlet (I am only going to do Science and RS questions on Google Sheets). Furthermore I have implemented a new study routine and in my Geog study sessions I do this routine of making summary notes and putting them into flashcards the next session.

So yeah, there are different ways but find what best works for you - I have listed some of my ideas above if you need help working it out. I hope I have helped you in some way. If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'm here to help!

Oh my stars @VilasL06!!

Thank you so so much for your help - you are a legend. We’ve been using Quizlet for our language vocab since Year 8 - I’ll use it for Geography too! Our Geography department also gives us these huge A3 revision mindmaps but it’s nice to have more than one source of revision :smile:. (We actually started with Human Geography first so we’re doing development :biggrin:)

I’ll try the Google Sheets method once again - it’s nice that you can do it on your phone really. I think after every lesson, I’ll write myself questions and do them after some time...

Anyway, thank you so much for your AMAZING advice - I can’t be more grateful!! :smile::smile:
Original post by eomo12
Hi! My name is Eghosa! 🙂

Edexcel Maths (Higher)
AQA English Lit
AQA English Lang
Edexcel French
OCR Computer Science

What grades do you want?
All 7s, 8s and 9s

Spoiler

Hey Eghosa! I’m Silly Summerberry! I went running with my mum in lockdown :biggrin:
Lol - I actually LOVE English but I’m terrible at Maths and ICT. I feel the same about year 9 tbh. It will never be the same :frown:

Anyway, catch you later! :smile:

Original post by Boopsandbops
Nice to meet youu. My fave is definitely chemistry and biology, and i also enjoy cooking as well!!

Aaa hello! :smile:
Sammmme to be honest I've tried studying but I have no where to do it have siblings that get in the way and so do my friends but then again we cant go to the library due to corona and we cant facetime because my siblings will start shouting and trying to spoil it any ideas anyone would really appreciate it ?
Hi I'm Abby! I'm more of an artsy and essay-based student in terms of strength and enjoyment, but I'm more or less an all-rounder. My hobbies and interests include playing violin, guitar and piano, drawing, Webtoon, composing and singing, binging YouTube, writing stories, pestering my best mates with memes, being a therapist to a load of people and more. :smile:
I'm not sure entirely for exam boards, but I know I'm doing AQA for sciences, Edexcel for Music, OCR for Geography and I'm not really sure about the rest. I think everyone in my school does higher and we don't get to choose (I go to a selective grammar school).
My subjects:
English Lit
English Lang
RPE (religion, philosophy, ethics)
Maths
Further Maths
(maybe) Free standing qualification
Triple science
Geography
History
Music
Mandarin

My favourite subject is English, but when I chose my options, I chose all the subjects that I find interesting. I wasn't that keen on science in general in KS3 but I seem to have better teachers this year so I'm finding it more tolerable.
As for predicted grades, I've been getting 8s and 9s in everything, so I hope I'll eventually be able to get all 9s for everything hehe.
My favourite way to revise is to teach someone how to do the question or just explain concepts and things to my family, mostly because I find the topic genuinely interesting and I just like helping people and sharing knowledge and stuff.
If money didn't matter, I'd like to be an author, but now, I'm considering law because I really enjoy debates, analysing and english in general.
I was extremely glad for year 9 to end and I'm looking forward to concentrating on subjects I actually like and chose for GCSE.
Sorry if this message was really long. It's been a long day XD
(edited 3 years ago)
hiii !
my name's allie <3
-
my hobbies/interests consist of art and science i guess?
-
im studying all the required subjects, obviously, and i chose triple science and i'm doing higher? further? maths along with computer science, german and geography - really want to drop geography already.
-
my most favourite subject would probably be computer science but i also love english lit and biology, my least would be religious studies
-
we haven't been given our predicted grades yet, but if we were to carry on upgrading a grade or a bit more from the previous year, i would expect predicted 6s and some 7s by the end of year 10
-
i hope to see 7s/8s in my gcse with an average of somewhere above 7 hopefully
-
my favourite way to revise is just copying essential information off of a book and trying to ingrain it into my head AND study cards of course
-
my dream future occupation would most certainly be science/english related.. but i'm not sure which area of science or whether i should pursue my english dreams instead
-
i am REALLY glad about leaving year 9, though i did expect to move schools this year and ended up... not moving
-
i'm actually quite excited about year 10 and leaving the boring, non essential subjects behind, like french and music, though at the same time really anxious because the year group got split into x and y, me being the only one out of my entire friend group put into x ;( it's also a bit of a struggle to make friends as it always has been
-
that's about it ! <3
(edited 3 years ago)
uhm hey! im a bit late bc i've been so busy getting ready for school and other stuff that i've totally forgotten about tsr (whoops)

Introduce yourself
so hi I'm taz :colondollar:
I really like kpop, specfically bts. I'm also trying to get into anime and journalling. As for hobbies, I enjoy reading and sometimes writing as well (but I'm not very good at it).
-Maths
-English lit and lang
-Triple Science
-French
-Art
-Food Tech
-RS
-Further Maths but I'm still unsure as to whether I'll actually take the exam at the end of the course or not
My exam board for most of my subjects is AQA with the exception of english and maths (I think)
What is/are your favourite and least favourite subject(s)?
I absolutely hate english with a passion. I know it seems harsh but I just don't get it which is why im really worried that I won't get a 6 or above :s-smilie: On the other hand, I love maths and french. I just really like the satisfaction the subjects give me and they're quite fun most of the time.
What are your predicted grades?
All 9s (yikes)
What grades do you want?
It's a bit too much pressure to get all 9s for me so realistically I want to get an even mixture of 8s and 9s with maybe a 7?
What's your favourite way to revise?
Rewriting and going over notes along with practice questions. I do incorporate mindmaps and flashcards from time to time as well certain resources such as quizlet and corbett maths which help me a lot when it comes to exams
A paediatrician! I love working with children and I like science as well. I also might want to become a psychologist or a paediatric psychologist. My back up plan is to go to Korea and teach English there :excited:
It's a bit sad that I didn't get to finish what I've heard is the best year of secondary however I'm glad that I missed half of year 9 rather than half of year 10 or 11 where I'd be doing my gcses. Year 9 was super fun while it lasted however year 10 will hopefully be just as enjoyable

Very excited! Our school just opened their new sixth form and it has a bunch of new classrooms and they all look so cool. I have a couple of classes in those new classrooms. I'm also looking forward to finally getting into depths with the subjects I like and have chosen. Other than year 9, people have said year 10 is also really fun so yeah :crossedf: It also feels very weird. I still feel like I'm a year 9 lololol

So you've reached the end of my very lengthy post! I hope everyone is staying safe during these times. The one way system at my school is driving me crazy as well as all the other new routines but its cool. It's all for our safety anyway

:tsr:

The Current Year 10 Chat Thread (2020-2021)

:party:

Babies born from 2005 to 2006!! Woohooo :ciao:Hey, and welcome to the current year 10 thread! For some, this is when you start your GCSEs and for others, it's your second year! You can use this thread to share what you're feeling, thoughts on starting year 10, how the pandemic may affect your studies, your GCSEs and anything else :u: Feel free to share any useful study material/threads, vent, ask questions, complain, moan or even share success! We're all in this together! So hopefully, we'll all make friends (no enemies) and by the end of it, be ready to take on year 11!

Let's get to know each other :biggrin:

:fleurdelis:

Introduce yourself

What is/are your favourite and least favourite subject(s)?

What are your predicted grades?

What grades do you want?

What's your favourite way to revise?

WE’RE FINISHING SCHOOL IN JUNE 2022!!
GOOD LUCK YEAR 10 AND HAVE FUN BUT DON'T FORGET TO CRACK DOWN

Heyyy :smile:
I loove drama (but I unfortunately didn't get it 4 my GCSEs!!) and Geo!
I am doing Edexcel Geography and AQA Psychology for my chosen GCSEs
(and RE, English, maths e.t.c for my compulsory GCSEs)
Last year, I loved Geo and maths, right now, I love geo (since the pandemic is making my struggle with my subject! :frown:!
My predicted grades are 5-6
But I want to surprise my family and teachers and get a HIGHER grade!
Revising is my weakest spot, I am still not sure whether I am a Visual, auditory or a kinesthetic learner - what about y'all?
I'd looove to work in a COLLEGE, or UNI
And year 10 is beginning to be a whole 'nother story!
Original post by DaydreamingTeen
Heyyy :smile:
I loove drama (but I unfortunately didn't get it 4 my GCSEs!!) and Geo!
I am doing Edexcel Geography and AQA Psychology for my chosen GCSEs
(and RE, English, maths e.t.c for my compulsory GCSEs)
Last year, I loved Geo and maths, right now, I love geo (since the pandemic is making my struggle with my subject! :frown:!
My predicted grades are 5-6
But I want to surprise my family and teachers and get a HIGHER grade!
Revising is my weakest spot, I am still not sure whether I am a Visual, auditory or a kinesthetic learner - what about y'all?
I'd looove to work in a COLLEGE, or UNI
And year 10 is beginning to be a whole 'nother story!

i feel like a mix of all the types of learners? so i have to use so many revison techniques to learn stuff :frown: However i think i'm more of a visual and read and write learner rather than the other two :smile:
Original post by TazmeenX
i feel like a mix of all the types of learners? so i have to use so many revison techniques to learn stuff :frown: However i think i'm more of a visual and read and write learner rather than the other two :smile:

Same here! I feel like I am a mix!
Original post by sakura_23

No no, note-taking is not wrong at all - it is perfectly fine! Some people learn through different ways to others - for some people note-taking can aesthetically motivate them and can help them to understand concepts much better than flashcards, which are usually designed to compress information and are not meant to be written in context. The purpose of flashcards are not to help you learn and understand something for the first time - they are meant to help you memorise distinct important facts such as formulas and equations, in the short-run.
In a video by Ali Abdaal, he explained that creating your own notes can be a waste of time (I know, controversial) because often there are already the exact same notes made for you such as from a textbook/revision guide, so in that time of practically duplicating notes from a textbook, you could be starting memorising the important facts.

I actually preferred note-taking at the start, and it made me feel more productive. But then I came this video (https://youtu.be/ukLnPbIffxE) and felt disappointed when hearing that note-taking can be inefficient at most times except when understanding concepts. But as I started trying the methods out, I decided to change my method and now it is working fine - looking back, I felt satisfied that I changed my method from note-taking to flashcards.

What I was trying to say was that note-taking can be extremely beneficial to your use when it comes to understanding the information first, but my point was that when it comes to revision season, reading your notes again and again can be tedious for SOME people, so I was suggesting to those who are looking for other methods to take up flashcards or the Google Sheets method. For some people however note-taking works for them best, so please go ahead and carry on with that - I really don't want to affect those who were already going successfully. I was just trying to help those who wanted to try other ways out as note-taking was just not working for them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Random11_206
Ye, for me I prefer note taking as well - apart from like one or two subjects as I find it easier - I think it’s more based on how you as an individual learn like audio and visual and stuff?

Yes I agree - it really depends on your style of learning e.g. if you are an auditory learner, then writing stuff may not work best.

Quick Reply

Latest