The Student Room Group

Help! GCSEs as a mature student

So I’m nearly 26 years old and I’m not happy where I am in my life. I’d really love to be to do GCSE maths, English & science again then hopefully a levels. Can it be done? Where do I start? Unfortunately due to personal reasons I didn’t do well in my GCSE’s and now I’m kicking myself for it. Can anyone let me know if they’ve done this. Thanks
It can certainly be done. I think there are colleges where you can study and do both GCSEs and A levels. Depends what you want to you. If you want to self teach you can do that too. Just look online for exam centres near you and you can sit the exams there
Where do you live?
Why do you want to do GCSEs and A levels what would you like to progress to?
Yes definitely do it
Reply 4
Original post by themagics1992
Where do you live?
Why do you want to do GCSEs and A levels what would you like to progress to?

I wanted to be a vet haha. Let’s all laugh together lol. That would be the dream but honestly I’m living in a dream world with that so anything in that field really or similar like Marie biology etc
Reply 5
Original post by Lucyharlow
I wanted to be a vet haha. Let’s all laugh together lol. That would be the dream but honestly I’m living in a dream world with that so anything in that field really or similar like Marie biology etc

*marine biology even🤣

If veterinary medicine is what you want to do then that's good you have a goal, I say go for it.
Mines normal medicine and I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, I'm 28 & I did apply for full time GCSE courses however due to this pandemic and alot of school kids missed out on grades and there wasn't many places for me so I'm doing 3 evening classes in Biology, Maths & English language this year but next year I'll do chemistry, physics, psychology, statistics day classes and the following year ill do 2 years of A levels - Biology, Chemistry , Psychology. after that depending on grades - apply medicine, fail to get in > medical science, neuroscience or biomedical science then 3 years undergraduate and apply for graduate entry medicine.
I'm doing 4 years of college (lengthy and expensive I know however at the age of 28 why not I'm sitting at home rotting away.
without researching much you will need pretty much the same basic grades as me which would be around 5 GCSEs Grade 6+ and 3 A levels to include biology/and or chemistry at Grade A.
If you tell me which area you live in I can help find a suitable college to get you on the road!
I suggest you spend time looking at all veterinary schools what their requirements are, look on UCAS search veterinary medicine look at every single school offering it, grades, do proper and thorough research.
I would strongly advise you to study GCSE maths and english this year at a minimum, find an evening class it shouldn't be too late to enrol as it's only just started this will give you options the following year.
Reply 7
Original post by themagics1992
If veterinary medicine is what you want to do then that's good you have a goal, I say go for it.
Mines normal medicine and I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, I'm 28 & I did apply for full time GCSE courses however due to this pandemic and alot of school kids missed out on grades and there wasn't many places for me so I'm doing 3 evening classes in Biology, Maths & English language this year but next year I'll do chemistry, physics, psychology, statistics day classes and the following year ill do 2 years of A levels - Biology, Chemistry , Psychology. after that depending on grades - apply medicine, fail to get in > medical science, neuroscience or biomedical science then 3 years undergraduate and apply for graduate entry medicine.
I'm doing 4 years of college (lengthy and expensive I know however at the age of 28 why not I'm sitting at home rotting away.
without researching much you will need pretty much the same basic grades as me which would be around 5 GCSEs Grade 6+ and 3 A levels to include biology/and or chemistry at Grade A.
If you tell me which area you live in I can help find a suitable college to get you on the road!
I suggest you spend time looking at all veterinary schools what their requirements are, look on UCAS search veterinary medicine look at every single school offering it, grades, do proper and thorough research.
I would strongly advise you to study GCSE maths and english this year at a minimum, find an evening class it shouldn't be too late to enrol as it's only just started this will give you options the following year.

I live near pontefract, West Yorkshire. Wow that sounds great, good luck! I am a little worried about the financial side of it but I know it’s what I want to do. We spend so much of our life’s working that I’d rather have something I enjoy than something I hate
I live near pontefract, West Yorkshire. Wow that sounds great, good luck! I am a little worried about the financial side of it but I know it’s what I want to do. We spend so much of our life’s working that I’d rather have something I enjoy than something I hate

If you have transport or able to catch a bus if there is a route from you to the college, try looking at wakefield college.
They have part time GCSE biology, maths and english language I suggest you ring today you maybe able to join as its only just started!

https://courses.wakefield.ac.uk/PSWebEnrolment/webenrolment.aspx?page=~/webcontrols/coursedisplay.ascx&CourseInformationID=3468
https://courses.wakefield.ac.uk/PSWebEnrolment/webenrolment.aspx?page=~/webcontrols/coursedisplay.ascx&CourseInformationID=3287
https://courses.wakefield.ac.uk/PSWebEnrolment/webenrolment.aspx?page=~/webcontrols/coursedisplay.ascx&CourseInformationID=3288

if you don't hold C/4 In maths and or english then it's free, nothing to pay the biology is £362. I don't know your life if you work full time, have children or what but if you are doing nothing and literally at home 24/7 then do it! because you have a long road ahead of you in terms of length of study where you want to be you don't want to waste another year of your life.
So I’m nearly 26 years old and I’m not happy where I am in my life. I’d really love to be to do GCSE maths, English & science again then hopefully a levels. Can it be done? Where do I start? Unfortunately due to personal reasons I didn’t do well in my GCSE’s and now I’m kicking myself for it. Can anyone let me know if they’ve done this. Thanks

I'd suggest looking at New College in Pontefract and avoiding Wakefield College like the plague. I went back there as an adult learner 2 years ago and the experience was dire, and I really regret it.

I'm in the same situation am 18 though, as your over 19 its government-funded to do GCSEs if you don't have any c or above look on the gov website and google things like college for adults in ( where you live ). Let me know how you've got o.

Quick Reply

Latest