The Student Room Group

Tight budget Finance

Does anyone else Have a tight budget this year? My finance doesn’t cover my food shop as it just covers halls, I only have £500 from my savings for semester 1, anyone else with this issue? Trying to get a job.
Original post by davidosullivan
Does anyone else Have a tight budget this year? My finance doesn’t cover my food shop as it just covers halls, I only have £500 from my savings for semester 1, anyone else with this issue? Trying to get a job.

Is it too late to swap to cheaper Halls? Can you sell anything you don't need?
Original post by claireestelle
Is it too late to swap to cheaper Halls? Can you sell anything you don't

I’m in the cheaper halls, it’s still expensive £89 is the lowest, at this rate if I don’t get a job I’ll have to go back home. I’m hoping I get a job just to eat
I’m in the cheaper halls, it’s still expensive £89 is the lowest, at this rate if I don’t get a job I’ll have to go back home. I’m hoping I get a job just to eat

have you checked if a student overdraft is possible until you get a job? and then go through everything you own and see what you could sell.
have you checked if a student overdraft is possible until you get a job? and then go through everything you own and see what you could sell.

How can I check? My dad gave me money which is the £500 sadly I didn’t have savings due to losing my job due to Covid. I’m with Santander atm but didn’t get a student account so I don’t think I could get an overdraft.
How can I check? My dad gave me money which is the £500 sadly I didn’t have savings due to losing my job due to Covid. I’m with Santander atm but didn’t get a student account so I don’t think I could get an overdraft.

you can apply for a student account with Santander now, unless you've done something to damage your credit history you should have good odds you'd get one.
you can apply for a student account with Santander now, unless you've done something to damage your credit history you should have good odds you'd get one.

Sadly I can due to currently having a visa debit account with them and I don’t want to remove that. Is there an alternative better bank to Santander?
£500 is probably ok for first semester if no unexpected expenses, but won't last much longer...

Not sure what they're doing with student overdrafts these days but worth looking into.

Money from parents? If you're on minimum loan it's because the government expects them to help out. Appreciate it might not be that easy but worth making sure they understand you're getting less money because they have lots of income...

I suspect you're going to need to learn to live very cheaply no matter the outcome.
Sadly I can due to currently having a visa debit account with them and I don’t want to remove that. Is there an alternative better bank to Santander?

there's nothing stopping you having a standard current account with them and then opening a separate current account but check out the offers at other banks.
there's nothing stopping you having a standard current account with them and then opening a separate current account but check out the offers at other banks.

I asked in the summer and that’s what they said, but gonna ring!
I thought this was too much compared to some students but In reality it’s not
Is anyone else on a tight budget?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending