The Student Room Group

How do people sell a gaming pc for so cheap on Ebay?

Where do they get the video card, processor for so cheap? Unless some are fake.

I tried looking for suppliers however I cannot find one.
Original post by Anonymous
Where do they get the video card, processor for so cheap? Unless some are fake.

I tried looking for suppliers however I cannot find one.

Gaming PC can mean many things. Components are not inherently expensive, it's the expensive components that are expensive. You can build a gaming PC for less than a last gen console, with used parts that are multiple generations old for example. You can also buy individual components that are more expensive than an entire next gen console. There's a huge price range here.

General rule of thumb, you get what you pay for. If you're looking at super cheap gaming PCs on eBay, odds are they're cheap for a reason. If you've got any links, it'll be easy to explain why something is priced the way it is.
The super cheap gaming PCs are often loaded with really old gen components that they can describe ambiguously, or simply list low end components with a sensationalist "ultra fast" title, in both cases to draw in and hopefully dupe less knowledgeable buyers. For example this computer might seem like a bargain to people who don't know what they're looking at- it's got a quad core i5 and 8GB of RAM like a lot £500+ towers from Currys, and a GT graphics card! A lot of people will be suckered in off the title alone, without ever even knowing to check that the processor is almost a decade old and the graphics card was barely better than integrated graphics even when it was released, and the whole system will likely be outperformed by a cheaply thrown together APU system.
(edited 3 years ago)
I bought a PC from Curry's in something like 2005 for £350. It was Windows XP and I bought it because the CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo I think) was a high GHz (3.2 I think). I didn't even know what the GPU was... in fact I don't think it had one, I was probably impressed by its "integrated graphics" which actually means it uses the motherboard's, which will be quite crap. The PSU (or more likely a capacitor in the PSU) popped and died some years later from seemingly a surge, but didn't actually take anything with it or go up in flames.

The running theme seems to be the PSU is some crap quality and it isn't even named, because buyers aren't looking at the PSU. The CPU's some non-overclockable Intel with a good-looking speed because buyers don't know about overclocking or cores, and with a noisy cooler too because they don't know it actually has to be cooled and just assume PCs have an aircraft hum to them because they're beasts.

But back then I wouldn't have been able to build one (I didn't even know you could). I did an IT course at Oxford's college and the walls were made with asbestos and had holes in them, and the tutor told us the CPU can't be changed in a PC, so that's what I had to work with... Nowadays people can ask easily on forums or Google it, on their phone, and get a rough if not perfect idea on what to get.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending