beachpanda
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is anyone able to help with the below question? It's out of my workbook but working isn't shown and I'm a bit stuck:

The line segment CD has midpoint (1,2), gradient 3/4 and length 5. Find the coordinates of the end points C and D.

I'm ok with finding the midpoint from two co-ordinates but struggling in reverse?
Last edited by beachpanda; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by beachpanda)
Is anyone able to help with the below question? It's out of my workbook but working isn't shown and I'm a bit stuck:

The line segment CD has midpoint (1,2), gradient 3/4 and length 5. Find the coordinates of the end points C and D.

I'm ok with finding the midpoint from two co-ordinates but struggling in reverse?
Can you sketch it? It sounds like a right angled triangle where you know the hypotenuse(5) and the tan of the angle (3/4). Just find the opp and adj. The answer is related to a well known Pythagorean triple.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
beachpanda
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Can you sketch it? It sounds like a right angled triangle where you know the hypothesis (5) and the tan of the angle (3/4). Just find the opp and adj. The answer is related to a well known Pythagorean triple.
Yep that's helped see things a lot clearer, managed to get to the right answer. Thankyou v much!
beachpanda
Rep:
?
There was also this question in the same section - guessing it's applying the same principles but struggling to see it as we're not given the length / I can't see how we know how far away A & B are from the midpoint?

The line segment between the points A(2a, a) and B(b, b+3) has a gradient of 2 and a midpoint of (4,5). Find the exact distance between A and B.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What equations in terms of a and b can you write down for the gradient and midpoint?
beachpanda
Rep:
?
What equations in terms of a and b can you write down for the gradient and midpoint?
I used the midpoint formula to get try and solve point A like this, where I'd split the rise/run of the gradient into two. I'm a bit unsure about how to bring in gradient when we don't know the length of the line though?

Point A = (2a+0.5 , a+1) = (4,5)

2a + 0.5 = 4
a + 1 = 5

But these equations gave me different values for a
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bakeshenanigans)
Xxx

I hope your answer matches mine
Can you pls delete? The aim is to provide hints not full working.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used the midpoint formula to get try and solve point A like this, where I'd split the rise/run of the gradient into two. I'm a bit unsure about how to bring in gradient when we don't know the length of the line though?

Point A = (2a+0.5 , a+1) = (4,5)

2a + 0.5 = 4
a + 1 = 5

But these equations gave me different values for a
Just use the midpoint and get a and b? What are the equations.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
beachpanda
Rep:
?
Just use the midpoint and get a and b? What are the equations.
Used the midpoint formula, substituted for the coordinates and solved simultaneously - managed to get to the right answer.

Thankyou so so much for your help!!
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Used the midpoint formula, substituted for the coordinates and solved simultaneously - managed to get to the right answer.

Thankyou so so much for your help!!
No problem, remember the midpoint is just the average, so add and divide by 2.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.77%
I'm not sure (16)
3.58%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (151)
33.78%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.79%
I'm not a current university student (206)
46.09%

Watched Threads