The Student Room Group

Your thoughts on Britain's biggest families?

On tv I have seen programnes about various families with like 10+ kids and Britain's largest family has 22 kids. What are your thoughts on these families? A lot of them seemed to live in very cramped housing.
hey. I've moved your thread to a more relevant section!
Original post by Anonymous1502
On tv I have seen programnes about various families with like 10+ kids and Britain's largest family has 22 kids. What are your thoughts on these families? A lot of them seemed to live in very cramped housing.

To each their own. As long as they can manage it, not my place to pass on judgement.
A personal preference that is quite unusual in the UK.
Okay as long as the children are well cared for and financially supported by those with parental responsibility, not the welfare system.
My friend wants to have least 8 children and is fascinated by the Radford family.
Original post by londonmyst
A personal preference that is quite unusual in the UK.
Okay as long as the children are well cared for and financially supported by those with parental responsibility, not the welfare system.
My friend wants to have least 8 children and is fascinated by the Radford family.

How did your friend arrive at the number 8?
How did your friend arrive at the number 8?

Six was her starting point from the time of primary school.
She started watching shows about the Radford family in her late teens and began talking about wanting at least 8 in her early 20s.
Her family are fundamentalist christians and their church is staunchly committed to quiverfull.

Having 10+ kids in modern Britain is just plain crazy. No way could you adequately provide enough time to look after each and every one of them.
Original post by Gundabad(good)
Having 10+ kids in modern Britain is just plain crazy. No way could you adequately provide enough time to look after each and every one of them.

Do you think the same issue is applicable to families with 10+ children that are based overseas?
The Radford family have had 22 children (one deceased), six grandchildren and also run their own bakery business.
Original post by londonmyst
Do you think the same issue is applicable to families with 10+ children that are based overseas?
The Radford family have had 22 children (one deceased), six grandchildren and also run their own bakery business.

Yes. Having 6 children is the hard limit everywhere in the world. After that its just excessive, even for third world countries.
Does one of the episodes feature Boris Johnson and his extensive brood?
Reply 10
I dont really have an opinion on people who like to pop out an inordinate amount of kids, if they want to and can support them go for it.
However, given this is a tv show and i'd bet my left ******* that they're simply bilking the tax payer then i have an exceptionally dim view on them. It might be a 'right' to have a family but it shouldnt be a right to expect others to pay for it, in such a manner.
Original post by Kitten in boots
Does one of the episodes feature Boris Johnson and his extensive brood?

I don't think so, Jacob Rees Mog has 6 kids.
Original post by Napp
I dont really have an opinion on people who like to pop out an inordinate amount of kids, if they want to and can support them go for it.
However, given this is a tv show and i'd bet my left ******* that they're simply bilking the tax payer then i have an exceptionally dim view on them. It might be a 'right' to have a family but it shouldnt be a right to expect others to pay for it, in such a manner.

You'll only know for sure whether they bilked the taxpayer when the children reach retirement age. This idea that parents have to fund their own children or otherwise they're milking the system is a short term view that fails to take into consideration that in the long run each individual is either going to be a net contributor or net cost to the state from womb to tomb in their own right. Often this view of moochers is espoused by the childless who presumably believe that magic elves are going to generate the income for their pension, work in the hospitals and social care sector and pay the taxes when they themselves reach retirement age.

The reality is that bringing up children is hard work and it's also unpaid but you're rendering a service to the state by providing the next generation of labour and tax revenue. Whether someone bilks the system really depends solely on the individual, not the family unit. If someone has 12 children they're potentially bringing up 12 future taxpayers and it's a full time job to do that, so they're not bilking the system in the same way as a childless person with a 30 year record of unemployment benefits would.
Reply 13
Original post by AW_1983
You'll only know for sure whether they bilked the taxpayer when the children reach retirement age. This idea that parents have to fund their own children or otherwise they're milking the system is a short term view that fails to take into consideration that in the long run each individual is either going to be a net contributor or net cost to the state from womb to tomb in their own right. Often this view of moochers is espoused by the childless who presumably believe that magic elves are going to generate the income for their pension, work in the hospitals and social care sector and pay the taxes when they themselves reach retirement age.

The reality is that bringing up children is hard work and it's also unpaid but you're rendering a service to the state by providing the next generation of labour and tax revenue. Whether someone bilks the system really depends solely on the individual, not the family unit. If someone has 12 children they're potentially bringing up 12 future taxpayers and it's a full time job to do that, so they're not bilking the system in the same way as a childless person with a 30 year record of unemployment benefits would.

Err I’m not entirely sure what you’re going off on about ‘childless elves’ or some claptrap but it seems you’re unaware of what large welfare trap families are given they are specifically whom I’m referring to and not just those with large numbers of children... as I stated clearly 🙄
Original post by Napp
Err I’m not entirely sure what you’re going off on about ‘childless elves’ or some claptrap but it seems you’re unaware of what large welfare trap families are given they are specifically whom I’m referring to and not just those with large numbers of children... as I stated clearly 🙄

That doesn't address the problem that you can't determine if someone will present a net cost or benefit until they retire, irrespective of what technical terms you want to dress your prejudice up in. You can't say for certain that a large family is in a welfare trap unless you can prove ahead of time that children won't work or pay tax.
Reply 15
Original post by AW_1983
That doesn't address the problem that you can't determine if someone will present a net cost or benefit until they retire, irrespective of what technical terms you want to dress your prejudice up in. You can't say for certain that a large family is in a welfare trap unless you can prove ahead of time that children won't work or pay tax.

Yes, we cannot tell the future. On the other hand a generational family of welfare claimants does not have the odds on their side.
Original post by Napp
Yes, we cannot tell the future. On the other hand a generational family of welfare claimants does not have the odds on their side.

Again, you have no proof for that and no crystal ball. You're simply stuck in this mindset that the children belong to the parents who should pay which is short termist and does not take into account whether or not the child themselves over a whole life will pay for themselves or not. Nor am I convinced that you have fully analysed the root causes. For example, a family living in a region with high levels of unemployment might only unwillingly represent themselves as a cost to the state.
Reply 17
Original post by AW_1983
Again, you have no proof for that and no crystal ball. You're simply stuck in this mindset that the children belong to the parents who should pay which is short termist and does not take into account whether or not the child themselves over a whole life will pay for themselves or not. Nor am I convinced that you have fully analysed the root causes. For example, a family living in a region with high levels of unemployment might only unwillingly represent themselves as a cost to the state.

Err long term multi generational welfare dependency is a well studied phenomena, it would appear to be you who has no 'proof'.

Not a huge fan of it at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending