The Student Room Group

AS Midpoint Problem

Is anyone able to help with the below question? It's out of my workbook but working isn't shown and I'm a bit stuck:

The line segment CD has midpoint (1,2), gradient 3/4 and length 5. Find the coordinates of the end points C and D.

I'm ok with finding the midpoint from two co-ordinates but struggling in reverse?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by beachpanda
Is anyone able to help with the below question? It's out of my workbook but working isn't shown and I'm a bit stuck:

The line segment CD has midpoint (1,2), gradient 3/4 and length 5. Find the coordinates of the end points C and D.

I'm ok with finding the midpoint from two co-ordinates but struggling in reverse?

Can you sketch it? It sounds like a right angled triangle where you know the hypotenuse(5) and the tan of the angle (3/4). Just find the opp and adj. The answer is related to a well known Pythagorean triple.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Can you sketch it? It sounds like a right angled triangle where you know the hypothesis (5) and the tan of the angle (3/4). Just find the opp and adj. The answer is related to a well known Pythagorean triple.

Yep that's helped see things a lot clearer, managed to get to the right answer. Thankyou v much!
Reply 3
There was also this question in the same section - guessing it's applying the same principles but struggling to see it as we're not given the length / I can't see how we know how far away A & B are from the midpoint?

The line segment between the points A(2a, a) and B(b, b+3) has a gradient of 2 and a midpoint of (4,5). Find the exact distance between A and B.
Reply 4
What equations in terms of a and b can you write down for the gradient and midpoint?
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
What equations in terms of a and b can you write down for the gradient and midpoint?

I used the midpoint formula to get try and solve point A like this, where I'd split the rise/run of the gradient into two. I'm a bit unsure about how to bring in gradient when we don't know the length of the line though?

Point A = (2a+0.5 , a+1) = (4,5)

2a + 0.5 = 4
a + 1 = 5

But these equations gave me different values for a
Reply 6
Original post by bakeshenanigans
Xxx

I hope your answer matches mine :smile:

Can you pls delete? The aim is to provide hints not full working.
Reply 7
I used the midpoint formula to get try and solve point A like this, where I'd split the rise/run of the gradient into two. I'm a bit unsure about how to bring in gradient when we don't know the length of the line though?

Point A = (2a+0.5 , a+1) = (4,5)

2a + 0.5 = 4
a + 1 = 5

But these equations gave me different values for a

Just use the midpoint and get a and b? What are the equations.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
Just use the midpoint and get a and b? What are the equations.

Used the midpoint formula, substituted for the coordinates and solved simultaneously - managed to get to the right answer.

Thankyou so so much for your help!!
Reply 9
Used the midpoint formula, substituted for the coordinates and solved simultaneously - managed to get to the right answer.

Thankyou so so much for your help!!

No problem, remember the midpoint is just the average, so add and divide by 2.

Quick Reply

Latest