The Student Room Group

I dont like drinking but my flat mates are meeting up to drink

I dont like drinking but my flat mates are meeting up to drink and go bars. I feel like it'll be awkward if i join them but not drink but i want to make friends with them. I'm Muslim but my family drinks on special days like new years. But we dont usually drink so i dont prefer to. Should i lie and just tell them that im a strict muslim. I dont wanna be a party pooper. What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I dont like drinking but my flat mates are meeting up to drink and go bars. I feel like it'll be awkward if i join them but not drink but i want to make friends with them. I'm Muslim but my family drinks on special days like new years. But we dont usually drink so i dont prefer to. Should i lie and just tell them that im a strict muslim. I dont wanna be a party pooper. What should I do?

what lol
just say you dont drink
Reply 3
Original post by clin.edpsych
what lol

Whats confusing. Im alevi
I honestly don't think they'd mind. Just tell them the truth. Personally I know I wouldn't mind if I was getting drinks and someone wasn't drinking. It's their choice and as long as they don't judge others and they're not a party pooper (which I'm sure you're not) I wouldn't mind. If it does bother them then you've found out early on that they're not some good people and you can focus your efforts on making friends with better people.
Whats confusing. Im alevi

are you guys practicing muslims?
Reply 6
are you guys practicing muslims?

We have a different fast than sunni muslims and different beliefs but yes we fast and pray. Its a branch of islam. We dont have to wear head scafs etc. Theres loads of alevis in london. I guess it depends on where you live 🤷🏻*♀️
We have a different fast than sunni muslims and different beliefs but yes we fast and pray. Its a branch of islam. We dont have to wear head scafs etc. Theres loads of alevis in london. I guess it depends on where you live 🤷🏻*♀️

ok man thats straight up bid'ah. you're changing the religion of Islam to fit your pleasures. Seek forgiveness asap.

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
ok man thats straight up bid'ah. you're changing the religion of Islam to fit your pleasures. Seek forgiveness asap.

Wtf im an alevi kurd. It exists google it. Youre being disrespectful. Alevi kurds are shia muslims.
Do whatever you would like to and feel comfortable with. If you don't fancy going out with them as they'll be drinking, that's fine and I'm sure they'll understand. But at uni people in my experience genuinely don't mind if one of you isn't drinking. I certainly wouldn't mind.

Spoiler

Wtf im an alevi kurd. It exists google it. Youre being disrespectful. Alevi kurds are shia muslims.

Oh wait i thought you told me to seek forgiveness for being alevi. Most alevi kurds dont wear headscafs

if you're a girl and you're a muslim it's said to wear the hijab. also drinking is completely forbidden.

Spoiler

agreed, that is shirk and not even Islam. Its like the ahmadiyyah community
Oh wait i thought you told me to seek forgiveness for being alevi. Most alevi kurds dont wear headscafs

the prophet s.a.w strictly prohibited alcohol. If you think you can legalise it and call it a sect of Islam please dont. Go start your own monotheistic religion! Dont try to change ours! We are happy with Islam!!

Spoiler

It's literally none of your business what he/she does with their religion. Stop pushing your beliefs onto other people what is wrong with you? They didn't come here asking whether or not they are right in their beliefs. Stop being such a fascist.
if you're a girl and you're a muslim it's said to wear the hijab. also drinking is completely forbidden.

It's literally none of your business what he/she does with their religion. Stop pushing your beliefs onto other people what is wrong with you? They didn't come here asking whether or not they are right in their beliefs. Stop being such a fascist.

Thank you.
Original post by bored_user:)
the prophet s.a.w strictly prohibited alcohol. If you think you can legalise it and call it a sect of Islam please dont. Go start your own monotheistic religion! Dont try to change ours! We are happy with Islam!!

"there will come a time where alcohol, musical instruments and illegal sexual intercourse is halal"

? i asked you a question. if you're gonna follow a religion please follow it properly. may allah swt guide us all!
Original post by bored_user:)

Attachment not found

Hey there,

why should you lie? Just tell them the truth: The truth is that you don't want to drink alcohol because you prefer not to be potentially intoxicated. So it is your preference to not drink alcohol. It has nothing to do with your religion.
@bored_user [s]smile[/s] @clin.edpsych You guys are doing exactly what Turkey is doing to kurdish turks. Opressing them for their religion and beliefs. Kurds have suffered many genocides coz of this. Its disgusting.

Quick Reply