The Student Room Group

Freshers week ruined. Pls help

Hi im worried about missing out on the social aspect of freshers week.

All the online social student led events have been booked up fully so i wont be able to go to those. The only social online events are some 'common room drop ins'. The description is that you get to chat to other first years like the booked up ones. What I'm confused about is why there are still like 220 places for the common room ones? (why is it so much less popular? I can't even see the difference). I bet if i book the common room events, hardly anyone will be there.

Thats why I'm worried about my freshers experience. Its quite literally be ruined. I dont think I will be able to talk to or meet anyone before uni starts. By that time, everyone must have met each other and it will make it harder for me to make friends (since I havent gone to the icebreaker sessions).

It's quite dumb how the best part of freshers week isnt even accessible to everyone and some are left out.
If you join Facebook groups for your university and find your flatmates (joining flat gcs) you should be fine. I think that freshers will just be postponed till quarantine relaxes and places like clubs reopen.
Reply 2
I would join my flat group chat but the problem is that I have to make a facebook account which is a pain. I already tried to make one and it got disabled for no reason whatsoever. I cant even use the tsr to find the group since 'posting links to external group chats is not allowed'.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I would join my flat group chat but the problem is that I have to make a facebook account which is a pain. I already tried to make one and it got disabled for no reason whatsoever. I cant even use the tsr to find the group since 'posting links to external group chats is not allowed'.

Oh yeah and facebook needs another account confirmation through text. As if it wasn't enough to do that when they sent verification code to my email.
Freshers week is the most overhyped thing ever. My flatmates last year literally went out to the club twice and that was it for the year. Plus, most of my friends are from my course or societies, not from freshers week. So overhyped honestly
Freshers week is just a hype. I never went to any clubs or parties during Freshers, only went and joined a team sports club and met lots of lovely people. Plus, most of the people you meet during Freshers probably won't be the ones you'll stay friends for long. You'll meet people with common interests later downt the line, trust me! Don't worry and enjoy the feeling of this moment i.e. being a newbie in uni. Think positive!
Reply 6
Original post by MikeOksmall
If you join Facebook groups for your university and find your flatmates (joining flat gcs) you should be fine. I think that freshers will just be postponed till quarantine relaxes and places like clubs reopen.

I'd be VERY surprised if clubs re-opened this year the way things are going.

tbh I doubt they will re-open at all before a vaccine, and it's 1 year till it's predicted to be rolled out.

It's been 6 months now since lockdown and loosening of lockdown and the government still has not deemed it safe enough to reopen clubs. coronavirus numbers are now rising again and are significantly above july's numbers. Clubs are not going to reopen for a long long time mate......
To pile on the only difference between freshers and any other week at university is that you don't know anyone (and there's a few more events) so it's not a huge deal. I forgot the names of half the people i met anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest