The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Official University of Portsmouth 2021 applicant thread

:hello:

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to the University of Portsmouth for 2021!

Meet and chat to other people applying here. Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I'm thinking of applying for Portsmouth Uni to do Adult Nursing :smile: I'm 24 (soon to be 25) and super excited and equally as nervous. I'm currently doing my Nursing Associate in Devon. Any suggestions on halls and if i should apply for shared ones or a studio one? :biggrin:
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Original post by therealscript96
Hey! I'm thinking of applying for Portsmouth Uni to do Adult Nursing :smile: I'm 24 (soon to be 25) and super excited and equally as nervous. I'm currently doing my Nursing Associate in Devon. Any suggestions on halls and if i should apply for shared ones or a studio one? :biggrin:

Hey @therealscript96!

I would say it’s up to you whether you want to be living in halls with other students around 18/19 years old who will probably go out quite a lot! (Unless you want to join in which would also be fine!)
I think the nursing course has a lot of placement hours so you may need to be up early for those but you could always email in to find out how many hours are roughly spent on placement :smile:

There’s nice studios in Catherine house - but these can be a bit more pricey around £8000 for the academic year I believe!
And there’s also studios in Rosalind Franklin, trafalgar and Margaret rule :smile:
The best thing you could do would be to email the student housing team on [email protected] and ask them the individual prices of each so you can work out which would be best for you!

The downside to living in a studio is that it’s more expensive than living in shared halls but you do get the benefit of it being slightly more quiet!

I hope this helps your decision :smile:
Eloise - official student rep
hey, I'm looking at Portsmouth to do para science :smile: i don't have any health care related work experience as we didn't do it in year 10 and it got cancelled for us this year also :frown:
Hey,

I'm looking for some advice, I am applying for psychology in the 2021 series, but I feel my qualifications may be a huge problem, as I only do two A-Levels and a UAL extended diploma (equivalent to 3 A-Levels/ BTEC extended diploma), in which I am predicted a Merit.
In my two A-Levels, I am predicted an A and B.
(I am also eligible for a contextual offer)
I really wanted to apply to Portsmouth, but I know how many people apply here, so do you think it is likely I will not be accepted, given I don't have 3 A-Levels?

I would be really grateful if somebody could give me guidance on this or recommend places I could apply to.
Reply 5
I am Tom, 35

I have applied for Mental Health Nursing and I am currently studying an 'access course' (Science).

I sent the application off yesterday and I am overjoyed to have gotten that out of the way!

Would love to hear from other mental health nursing applicants or anyone else for that matter!

be good to yourselves everyone.. and have fun.
I've applied for computer games enterprise :smile:
I'm currently doing computer science, further maths and physics A-Levels.
Hi ,
I am planning to apply for the BA in Media and communications.
I just have a few questions about the uni and campus.
Is Portsmouth more of a campus uni or city uni?
What is the best accommodation ? ( distance/ selfcatered/catered/ensuite rooms)
What type of restaurants/cafes are around the uni?
Reply 8
Applying for interior arch and design! I just wondered if anyone knew if you can request to live with someone you know in the halls?
Got an offer from Portsmouth!
Original post by Sihaam267
hey, I'm looking at Portsmouth to do para science :smile: i don't have any health care related work experience as we didn't do it in year 10 and it got cancelled for us this year also :frown:

Hi!

I would email our admissions team to see if they can give you any advice. [email protected]
Or contact the faculty of science and health [email protected]

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Got an offer from Portsmouth!

Congratulations!

I hope you look forward to your studies and good luck if you have any exams!

Original post by RAH1000
Applying for interior arch and design! I just wondered if anyone knew if you can request to live with someone you know in the halls?

Hi!

Im afraid you cannot request who you would like to live with in halls, unless there is a specific reason.
In my experience, you'll get to meet more people if you live separately. Plus you can always choose to live with each other in the second year when you move into private accommodation (own house). also, you can always join societies together etc, but you definitely get to see each other.

I hope this helps!
Original post by TheCardyMan
I've applied for computer games enterprise :smile:
I'm currently doing computer science, further maths and physics A-Levels.

Hi!

Good luck with your application!

Original post by Adstudent12345
Hi ,
I am planning to apply for the BA in Media and communications.
I just have a few questions about the uni and campus.
Is Portsmouth more of a campus uni or city uni?
What is the best accommodation ? ( distance/ selfcatered/catered/ensuite rooms)
What type of restaurants/cafes are around the uni?

Hi!

Portsmouth is a city campus. However, pretty much all the uni buildings are a 10-minute walk from halls. From my experience your subject is based next to Trafalgar Halls, so very close! I've attached a link to a map for the uni for you :smile: https://www.port.ac.uk/about-us/contact-us/maps-and-directions
I lived in Rosalind Franklin Halls in my first year. I fit my budget and very close to everything. It was an ensuite, self-catered and I shared a kitchen with 5 other people.
There are your main chain restaurants and cafes most of which are in Gunwharf (10-minute walk from halls) and Costa, Greggs, Subway and Starbucks are a minute walk from most halls. Albert Road (20-minute walk from halls or 5-minute free uni bus service) is where many of the independent cafes and bars are located, and there's loads to visit. there is also quite a few in Southsea shopping area (15-minute walk from halls, can also get uni bus) where independent restaurants and bars are located, they also have their own little quirky themes that people like to post on their Instagram.

I would personally research Gunwharf and Portsmouth bars, restaurants, and cafes in Portsmouth and checking how close they are to halls for more detail.

I hope this helps!
Original post by tfpm80
I am Tom, 35

I have applied for Mental Health Nursing and I am currently studying an 'access course' (Science).

I sent the application off yesterday and I am overjoyed to have gotten that out of the way!

Would love to hear from other mental health nursing applicants or anyone else for that matter!

be good to yourselves everyone.. and have fun.

Hi!

Good luck with your application!
Have you tried reaching out to other students on a Facebook page for your course and the halls that you might be staying in if you plan to live here studying? It's a great way to met other students. If you can't find one then create one.

Hey,

I'm looking for some advice, I am applying for psychology in the 2021 series, but I feel my qualifications may be a huge problem, as I only do two A-Levels and a UAL extended diploma (equivalent to 3 A-Levels/ BTEC extended diploma), in which I am predicted a Merit.
I really wanted to apply to Portsmouth, but I know how many people apply here, so do you think it is likely I will not be accepted, given I don't have 3 A-Levels?

I would be really grateful if somebody could give me guidance on this or recommend places I could apply to.

Hi!

I would contact our admissions team for more advice if you have not done so yet.
[email protected]
+44 (0)23 9284 5566

I hope this helps!
Hey,

Hi, I am currently a second year student doing psychology at Portsmouth and I got in with 1 A level, and a btec extended diploma in health and social care, I am sure they would give an offer and I am pretty sure if you put them first they turn your conditional offer into a unconditional offer.
Original post by Dolphingirl161
Hi, I am currently a second year student doing psychology at Portsmouth and I got in with 1 A level, and a btec extended diploma in health and social care, I am sure they would give an offer and I am pretty sure if you put them first they turn your conditional offer into a unconditional offer.

Hey!
Thank you so much for this :smile:
Hi! I'm Cristina and I recently applied to Portsmouth(and got an offer) for Psychology (4 years) starting in September!
I am currently doing biology,psychology and spanish A Level :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending