The Student Room Group

Am i skinny?

Am i skinny for my age. I’m 15 years old and everyone in my family and even friends say i’m skinny. I weight around 45kg but i have no muscle and my bones could possibly be seen. Is there anything i could do to improve this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What exactly are you looking to 'improve'?
How tall are you?
Reply 2
i want to gain some weight on my body i guess? Add a bit of muscle
Reply 3
Original post by LovelyMrFox
What exactly are you looking to 'improve'?
How tall are you?

5’5
Reply 4
and grow a bit of height i guess, i’m not really tall for my age
yeh you are underweight. i'm 5'4 and 58kg
Reply 6
Start working out if you want muscle I suppose.
Your a healthy weight, theres nothing wrong with being a bit skinny ( also you cant make yourself grow taller. thats all genetic )

I’ve never worked out the proper way, it’s always been a gym session with friends trying out new machines and seeing who can lift the highest. Do you think you could guide me in any way on how to start or any change in diet?
Reply 7
Original post by Vanessa Chuah
yeh you are underweight. i'm 5'4 and 58kg

oh dear that’s worrying for me
Original post by Gagann
oh dear that’s worrying for me

it's fine. maybe speak to a doctor about it.
Reply 9
Im not the person to go to for diets and fitness but there are plenty of users on here that are.
Also, correct what I said earlier I messed up. Your bmi is underweight.

how much do i need to be weighing?
Reply 10
Original post by Vanessa Chuah
it's fine. maybe speak to a doctor about it.

i want to keep it personal don’t want to embarrass myself unfortunately
I wouldn't worry too much about the graph as it is aimed at adults. As you grow in the next few years you'll probably out on more weight but it's good that you want to be a healthy weight. I'm not sure what to suggest to gain weight. Are you a boy or girl btw?
Reply 12
Original post by L'anatra.M
I wouldn't worry too much about the graph as it is aimed at adults. As you grow in the next few years you'll probably out on more weight but it's good that you want to be a healthy weight. I'm not sure what to suggest to gain weight. Are you a boy or girl btw?

boy :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Gagann
how much do i need to be weighing?

provided a chart if you take a look at that or you can find a bmi calculator. Your bmi is 16.5, thats quite low. It should be somewhere between 18.5 to 24.9. If you're healthy though its not too big a deal but thats obviously something we cant determine through the internet ( like the above user said it also is a bit different with children/teens ). It'd be a good idea to speak to your GP about it.
Reply 14
any opinions on how i can gain weight, i feel like i should gain the weight first then work on the muscle?
@ecolier provided a chart if you take a look at that or you can find a bmi calculator. Your bmi is 16.5, thats quite low. It should be somewhere between 18.5 to 24.9. If you're healthy though its not too big a deal but thats obviously something we cant determine through the internet ( like the above user said it also is a bit different with children/teens ). It'd be a good idea to speak to your GP about it.

I mean they are a child and so bmi is not actually used the nhs uses a centile chart for children

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/?tabname=weight-loss-support
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by DGeorge13
I mean they are a child and so bmi is not actually used the nhs uses a centile chart for children

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/?tabname=weight-loss-support

I mentioned that.
I mentioned that.

Fair enough I just skim read
Original post by Gagann
boy :smile:

Ah ok. You'll likely gain some muscle in the next few years but you are on the skinny side. Maybe just try eating more, especially protein and lifting weights but hopefully someone else has more advice. But if you're happy with how you look and are healthy then there's no need to change that 😊
Reply 19
yes i’m not too happy with how i look at the moment. Hopefully a bit of weight and muscle could change that. I’m not too concerned about the height as i just increased during the period of lockdown

Quick Reply

Latest