The Student Room Group

Universal credit / financial support help?

I have been told i'm not eligible for UC mostly because i'm about to start my postgrad. I only have tuition fees covered, but am studying remotely from my parents' cause i no longer have had work for the past several months nor could get any. I don't know what other financial support i can get now? I struggle with depression, anxiety and ADHD and have seen you can apply for Disabled Students Allowance but unsure if that includes my problems yet and i'm wondering if there is support i can get where i won't be in even more debt.
I'm still looking for work here and there but don't have the time anymore due to studying and most interviewers are put off by my study commitment and low availability
any advice appreciated thanks
Original post by Anonymous
I have been told i'm not eligible for UC mostly because i'm about to start my postgrad. I only have tuition fees covered, but am studying remotely from my parents' cause i no longer have had work for the past several months nor could get any. I don't know what other financial support i can get now? I struggle with depression, anxiety and ADHD and have seen you can apply for Disabled Students Allowance but unsure if that includes my problems yet and i'm wondering if there is support i can get where i won't be in even more debt.
I'm still looking for work here and there but don't have the time anymore due to studying and most interviewers are put off by my study commitment and low availability
any advice appreciated thanks

yes you can apply for DSA but it's a grant that goes direct to suppliers, you won't see the money yourself. have you tried seeing if you can apply for ESA and PIP?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
yes you can apply for DSA but it's a grant that goes direct to suppliers, you won't see the money yourself. have you tried seeing if you can apply for ESA and PIP?

It says on the DSA page 'paying back your loan' rather than it being a grant :/ unless i misunderstand
Thanks I haven't heard of ESA or PIP and will look into them
Original post by Anonymous
It says on the DSA page 'paying back your loan' rather than it being a grant :/ unless i misunderstand
Thanks I haven't heard of ESA or PIP and will look into them

i'm afraid DSA isn't a loan.
Reply 4
Definitely look into PIP, it was always recommend to myself by my doctor for my BPD. I’m unsure if it will apply to your circumstances though but worth a look. Might be worth getting in contact with Mind charity as they do a lot of support for PIP claims and can tell you what you’re entitled to.
Best of luck with it all x

Quick Reply

Latest