The Student Room Group

Shoplifted and will apply for visa again

Please do not lecture me. After I have grown up I have tried my best to make up. I work and donate my salary to charities, do voluntary work to help the poor not trying to explain since what I did was so wrong.

I am a foreign student.
So in 2012 when I was under 16 as a minor on a school trip to U.K I shoplifted three or four stores, cant remember the exact stores but the total stuff I toke was about 35 pounds. All of them are small independent businesses that's why I feel extremely bad now and I am always trying to find a way to make up.
At that time I was suffering from severe mental issues, peer pressure, family troubles and my wallet was stolen during that trip. I suppose that's why I acted totally out of character. I was not caught once and no police contact at least till I left.
My mental state is normal now and I have got over all these issues. I am planning to apply for uni in London, however, i am terribly afraid that my visa will be rejected because the home office will find out that I have shoplifted and got away. If this happens all my efforts will be in vain.
Basically I am afraid that MAYBE one of the store owners had my CCTV footage and passed it to the police. Its just because I left the country so quickly that they couldnt catch me. Any advice or suggestions please, thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thank u for ur response. Definitely will never do it. Just not sure how my stupid past will affect my future.
Reply 2
Don’t panic nothing will happen, but just don’t do it again.
It was 8 years ago and frankly your face could be very different from before too.
If you weren't convicted or even cautioned, there won't be any record and you won't have to declare it on your visa app.

Don't be a numpty again.
Reply 4
Original post by macy_m
Don’t panic nothing will happen, but just don’t do it again.
It was 8 years ago and frankly your face could be very different from before too.

Actually all my friends think I look like the same only taller LOL but THANKS for comforting me.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
If you weren't convicted or even cautioned, there won't be any record and you won't have to declare it on your visa app.

Don't be a numpty again.

I suppose being cautioned means the police at least have to let me hand over the stuff I took. I still keep the stuff just to remind me how stupid I was. Also I think being cautioned means I will receive a record of caution letter, which I've never received. Thank u:smile:
Reply 6
Just ask how to make sure that I have never been cautioned, received a warning or reprimand from the police?
Original post by Anonymous
Just ask how to make sure that I have never been cautioned, received a warning or reprimand from the police?

Have the police spoken to you with regards to these offences at all? (Given that you kept the goods involved, I'm guessing no.) If not, you haven't received any of the above.
Please do not lecture me. After I have grown up I have tried my best to make up. I work and donate my salary to charities, do voluntary work to help the poor not trying to explain since what I did was so wrong.

I am a foreign student.
So in 2012 when I was under 16 as a minor on a school trip to U.K I shoplifted three or four stores, cant remember the exact stores but the total stuff I toke was about 35 pounds. All of them are small independent businesses that's why I feel extremely bad now and I am always trying to find a way to make up.
At that time I was suffering from severe mental issues, peer pressure, family troubles and my wallet was stolen during that trip. I suppose that's why I acted totally out of character. I was not caught once and no police contact at least till I left.
My mental state is normal now and I have got over all these issues. I am planning to apply for uni in London, however, i am terribly afraid that my visa will be rejected because the home office will find out that I have shoplifted and got away. If this happens all my efforts will be in vain.
Basically I am afraid that MAYBE one of the store owners had my CCTV footage and passed it to the police. Its just because I left the country so quickly that they couldnt catch me. Any advice or suggestions please, thanks

Worst case is that you will be arrested next time you enter the UK, either at the border, or after entering.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
I do have a pretty vague memory about the school trip now. But I think I shall recall a talk with the police. Each time I shoplifted I just got away and took the bus with others to go back. Since I was a minor I think if the police want to issue me anything (warning or reprimand or caution) they need to inform my teacher because my teacher was my guardian at the time? (Not sure about this)

So if none of these happened, does it mean my police record is clean and I can pass the good character part of the visa application?
I think if I was that bad I cant even make it to the border. I will receive a 10-year ban for visa application since the UK wont want me to come back.
You're on the UK most wanted list, I just checked.
I would suggest that you simply apply and stop panicking. You said you had no police contact and were not caught? Then there is nothing to this incident that would see you denied a visa.

You won't have a record as you were not spoken to, detained or charged by the Police following the activities.

I am a foreign student.

Be thankful that you never got caught but accept that you never should have done it.
Are you from the UK? You can request police records of yourself takes about A month to come and it’s free
Original post by TallyBridget19
Are you from the UK? You can request police records of yourself takes about A month to come and it’s free

Nah I am a foreign student but thanks anyway
Original post by Grim_Squeaker
I would suggest that you simply apply and stop panicking. You said you had no police contact and were not caught? Then there is nothing to this incident that would see you denied a visa.

You won't have a record as you were not spoken to, detained or charged by the Police following the activities.

Thank u for comforting me.
Original post by Gundabad(good)
Be thankful that you never got caught but accept that you never should have done it.

Definitely
Original post by Admit-One
Have the police spoken to you with regards to these offences at all? (Given that you kept the goods involved, I'm guessing no.) If not, you haven't received any of the above.

I cant remember whether I have talked about any of these with a police officer.
Honestly speaking I cant recall where I have shoplifted (the exact location) and what I have shoplifted (just a rough number).

But if a police officer gave me a warning/caution/reprimand, would the whole procedure be done for at least 10m and I have to give the police my address and my fingerprints?

I am only pretty sure that I never gave the address though.
Reply 19
I cant remember whether I have talked about any of these with a police officer.
Honestly speaking I cant recall where I have shoplifted (the exact location) and what I have shoplifted (just a rough number).

You cant remember if a police officer spoke to you about it or not? Forgive me but i find that more than slightly unbelievable. Being lectured by a plod on a crime is not something you forget in a hurry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending