Would a hybrid be OK for a first car?

Watch
DarthCookie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So,

I'm 35. Looking to start driving. I feel it would be economically better and more flexible then spending £300 per month on the train.

I'm not really much of a "petrol head" so would be looking for something that looks OK and can get me from A to B but has the tech in.

Im also thinking of having an automatic, as I do have anxiety and have found that I get a bit flustered with the gears during lessons.

I live about 40 miles from uni so it would mainly be travelling to and from uni, work falls within that mileage too. I would be looking to travel up north to see some friends on the odd occasion for the weekend. I think i would be looking to get something on finance too.
Last edited by DarthCookie; 1 month ago
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
usual caveats of if you can pass in a manual then do so , nothing stopping you from driving automatics with a full licence rather than the restricted licence you get for passing cat B in an auto
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes it would be a reasonable first car.

Most if not all hybrid cars are automatic transmission.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DarthCookie)
I live about 40 miles from uni so it would mainly be travelling to and from uni, work falls within that mileage too. I would be looking to travel up north to see some friends on the odd occasion for the weekend. I think i would be looking to get something on finance too.
Have you checked up on parking restrictions around your Uni? An hour long drive followed by a struggle to find a space within walking distance will not be fun.

The initial outlay for a hybrid will be higher than a comparable petrol engine, but you'll hopefully save in the long term with lower running costs.
DarthCookie
Rep:
?
(Original post by InArduisFouette)
usual caveats of if you can pass in a manual then do so , nothing stopping you from driving automatics with a full licence rather than the restricted licence you get for passing cat B in an auto
I've a had few lessons in a manual but couldn't really get the hang of it so my instructor felt an automatic would be more suitable.
DarthCookie
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes it would be a reasonable first car.

Most if not all hybrid cars are automatic transmission.
Thats what I thought.

I'm leaning towards the Toyota Yaris.
DarthCookie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Have you checked up on parking restrictions around your Uni? An hour long drive followed by a struggle to find a space within walking distance will not be fun.

The initial outlay for a hybrid will be higher than a comparable petrol engine, but you'll hopefully save in the long term with lower running costs.
I've had a wee look.

From what ive seen they have permits there for people who live more than 10 miles away which I do. Taking public transport takes me around 2hours compared to driving but with strikes and everything recently, it has been a pain getting into uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
16.04%
I'm not sure (8)
2.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.13%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.37%
I'm not a current university student (134)
45.73%

Watched Threads