Madman11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, just wanted to know if anyone has a sheet with all the formulas we need for shapes in A level Maths - e.g. Volume/SA of a Cylinder etc. There was a question last year that required you to know them to answer it. I feel like teachers just always assumed you knew them and never really went over it.
Plücker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Madman11)
Hi, just wanted to know if anyone has a sheet with all the formulas we need for shapes in A level Maths - e.g. Volume/SA of a Cylinder etc. There was a question last year that required you to know them to answer it. I feel like teachers just always assumed you knew them and never really went over it.
To work out the surface area of a cylinder you can use the following formulae:

Area of a circle = pi r^2
Circumference = pi d
Area of a rectangle = length x width.
There's no need to memorise a formula for the surface area of a cylinder.

The volume of anything with a constant cross section = area of cross section x length

I think that if you know all of the relevant GCSE area and volume formulae you should be able to work out anything the require of you.

This should cover what you need: http://burymathstutor.co.uk/GCSE_formulae_H.pdf
Madman11
Rep:
?
Thank you.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Plücker)
To work out the surface area of a cylinder you can use the following formulae:

Area of a circle = pi r^2
Circumference = pi d
Area of a rectangle = length x width.
There's no need to memorise a formula for the surface area of a cylinder.

The volume of anything with a constant cross section = area of cross section x length

I think that if you know all of the relevant GCSE area and volume formulae you should be able to work out anything the require of you.

This should cover what you need: http://burymathstutor.co.uk/GCSE_formulae_H.pdf
I know at A-level we had the area of a sector and area of a segment as well. Might well have changed now though.
Madman11
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
I know at A-level we had the area of a sector and area of a segment as well. Might well have changed now though.
Yeah that’s still there. Those aren’t too bad though, as the book has them for you to learn. These shape ones are horrible though, nowhere to be found in both the book and formula booklet
Plücker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
Still there, but it gets taught in the A level course. I think Madman11 was after the bits that aren't taught at A level but should still be remembered from GCSE.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Plücker)
Still there, but it gets taught in the A level course. I think Madman11 was after the bits that aren't taught at A level but should still be remembered from GCSE.
That was not at all obvious to me, but it's obvious from his most recent post that you're correct! PRSOM...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (146)
14.46%
I'm not sure (43)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
30%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.71%

Watched Threads