The Student Room Group

Is my answer correct?

The graph is below but my answer is

Yes, Lines A and B are perpendicular this is because they both intercept causing a right angle and they are opposite reciprocals of each other

Scroll to see replies

ae.PNG
Did you calculate the gradient of each line?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Kakakaty
The graph is below but my answer is

Yes, Lines A and B are perpendicular this is because they both intercept causing a right angle and they are opposite reciprocals of each other

I haven't checked, but if you are sure that the lines are perpendicular then you need to say something about their gradients.
Original post by medicalsupernova
Did you calculate the gradient of each line?

Oh no I didnt, I just did and I get different answers does that mean they're not?
Anyone know?
Reply 6
Oh no I didnt, I just did and I get different answers does that mean they're not?

What are your values for the gradients of each line?

What do you know about the gradients of perpendicular lines?
Original post by davros
What are your values for the gradients of each line?

What do you know about the gradients of perpendicular lines?

for A i got 3 and for B i got 2.5
I know that their gradients will multiply together to give -1 but from the gradient I got they don't equal -1 so does that mean theyre not perpendicular or did i do my calculations wrong?

their gradients need to be negative recipricles of each other to be perpendicular.
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
their gradients need to be negative recipricles of each other to be perpendicular.

I think you mean reciprocals for anyone trying to google this :smile:
Anyone know?

hint: the Tan theta1 and Tan theta 2 has a relationship for perpendicular lines
slope1.jpg
Original post by Melvin Guna
hint: the Tan theta1 and Tan theta 2 has a relationship for perpendicular lines
slope1.jpg

I'm not too sure what this means, could you explain some more?
I'm not too sure what this means, could you explain some more?

So the slope of one line is Tan theta 1 and the other is Tan theta 2. The product of the values of these slopes has to equal -1 for the lines to be perpendicular. You can calculate both Tan theta values by counting the boxes since they are the same size
(edited 3 years ago)
for A i got 3 and for B i got 2.5
I know that their gradients will multiply together to give -1 but from the gradient I got they don't equal -1 so does that mean theyre not perpendicular or did i do my calculations wrong?

You must realise line B has a negative gradient as it goes down.
Also the gradient of line A is < 1.
Original post by mqb2766
You must realise line B has a negative gradient as it goes down.
Also the gradient of line A is < 1.

I'm not sure what else to do, I keep getting the same answer of A = 3 and for B = 2.5
Hello! For each line, work out the equation of the line in the form y = mx + c, where m is your gradient, c is your y intercept.
For A: You can see in the graph your y intercept is 4. Pick a point on the line that is clear i.e (6,6) and sub these numbers in for y and x. Rearrange to calculate m(a).
For B: Your Y intercept is 10. Do the same for a point that lies on B. (2,5) for example. Rearrange to calculate m(b)

Does m(a) x m(b) = -1?
If yes, they are perpendicular
If no, they're not
Original post by Always_Confused
Hello! For each line, work out the equation of the line in the form y = mx + c, where m is your gradient, c is your y intercept.
For A: You can see in the graph your y intercept is 4. Pick a point on the line that is clear i.e (6,6) and sub these numbers in for y and x. Rearrange to calculate m(a).
For B: Your Y intercept is 10. Do the same for a point that lies on B. (2,5) for example. Rearrange to calculate m(b)

Does m(a) x m(b) = -1?
If yes, they are perpendicular
If no, they're not

This tricks works well too :smile:

Good one, especially this part
tan_theta.jpg
Original post by Melvin Guna
Good one, especially this part
tan_theta.jpg

Not sure what you mean?

Quick Reply

Latest