The Student Room Group

Getting into uni without a-levels?

u guys i am 17 turning 18 in feb 2021 and i will be doing my gcses in may 2021. after tht i dont want to go through 2 years of alevels. i just dont see the point of it. can i do a foundation course in uni in sep 2021. plz is it a good idea. some please help me.
thank youuuu

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You need a level 3 qualification before progressing to university. I highly doubt you can skip that and just move straight to a foundation year with no merits to show. What's the rush even?
Why do you want to attend university? :smile:
Original post by jenkokie
u guys i am 17 turning 18 in feb 2021 and i will be doing my gcses in may 2021. after tht i dont want to go through 2 years of alevels. i just dont see the point of it. can i do a foundation course in uni in sep 2021. plz is it a good idea. some please help me.
thank youuuu

You need a level 3 qualifications to get onto foundation degree. You can do a Btec or access to HE or degree apprenticeship.
Reply 4
Original post by Xarao
You need a level 3 qualification before progressing to university. I highly doubt you can skip that and just move straight to a foundation year with no merits to show. What's the rush even?

i dont want to spend 2 years doing alevels jsut like everybody else and at the age of 18 till 20.
i want to go to uni and do a foundation course in a subject.
i am sure i can do tht
Reply 5
Original post by 04MR17
Why do you want to attend university? :smile:

because i dont want to be behind whislt everyone else my year group is progressing. i wanna go to uni instead of wasting time on alevels
Reply 6
because i dont want to be behind whislt everyone else my year group is progressing. i wanna go to uni instead of wasting time on alevels

What are your GCSE grades/predicted?

That doesn't really answer the question. It's not about why you want to go to university at the end of year 11, my question is why do you want to attend university at all?

What courses would you be applying for?
What careers are you interested in?

I'm trying to work out why you feel university is the right step for you if you don't see any value in A Level qualifications.
If you don't want to spend 2 years on A-Levels, why do you want to spend 3 years or more at university?

That is completely the wrong attitude. You do not ‘waste time on A-Levels’. There is a point to them and it is to get you prepared for university study.

Mostly everyone else in your year group will be doing A-Levels and if not, they will be doing another course so they can get access to university e.g. BTECs

I really don’t understand what your problem is...
Reply 10
Original post by 04MR17
That doesn't really answer the question. It's not about why you want to go to university at the end of year 11, my question is why do you want to attend university at all?

What courses would you be applying for?
What careers are you interested in?

I'm trying to work out why you feel university is the right step for you if you don't see any value in A Level qualifications.

i dont want to do alevels because it feel suffocating . my friends say theres no point and i want to go to uni at the same time as my yeargroup. for the courses i will decide after gcses
Reply 11
Original post by 5hyl33n
That is completely the wrong attitude. You do not ‘waste time on A-Levels’. There is a point to them and it is to get you prepared for university study.

Mostly everyone else in your year group will be doing A-Levels and if not, they will be doing another course so they can get access to university e.g. BTECs

I really don’t understand what your problem is...

then dont ****ing answer. i dont need ur negative attitude. i am looking for alternatives other than alevels. not all of us are on the same path. alevels are not the only qualifications u need to go to uni.
Reply 12
Original post by Mr T 999
You need a level 3 qualifications to get onto foundation degree. You can do a Btec or access to HE or degree apprenticeship.

i want to do a HE
i dont want to do alevels because it feel suffocating . my friends say theres no point and i want to go to uni at the same time as my yeargroup. for the courses i will decide after gcses

Again, that's stuff you've already said.

For what purpose do you want to do a degree?

This question is about you, not your friends. In the nicest possible way, they aren't important in this discussion.
Reply 14
Original post by wastedcuriosity
If you don't want to spend 2 years on A-Levels, why do you want to spend 3 years or more at university?

because i want to get staright into what i am doing rather than doing alvels. u have to understand i feel the pressures due to my age. covid has really ruined everhting
Reply 15
Original post by 04MR17
Again, that's stuff you've already said.

For what purpose do you want to do a degree?

This question is about you, not your friends. In the nicest possible way, they aren't important in this discussion.

i want to do audiology and sonography.
Reply 16
Original post by wastedcuriosity

goign to uni makes me feel like i am ahead rather than be set back and doing 2 years of alevels. i could get my degree in those years or maybe 3. at alevels i have to dread uni. i want to go to uni and straight after gratuate and do my work. plz undertand my point.

Well that's not possible I'm afraid. You'll have to do some level 3 qualifications which I listed above. Do you have a particular career in mind or subject you wish to do?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Mr T 999
Well that's not possible I'm afraid. You'll have to do some level 3 qualifications which I listed above. Do you have a particular career in mind or subject you wish to do?

it is possible. i could do a HE in uni
because i want to get staright into what i am doing rather than doing alvels. u have to understand i feel the pressures due to my age. covid has really ruined everhting

i do think you have a bad attitude about going to uni. its not whether youre behind or not but you do need to work really hard on your a levels. an access is possibly even harder than a levels and you only have one shot at doing an access course with 100% attendence and spending at least 15-20 hours a week on studying outside of the college. i get that you feel like youre being left behind everyone but if you dont have the work ethic for a levels or your access you're gonna be shocked because university is much harder and youll probably end up dropping out of university. and you're gonna be shocked that even a levels or access courses are much harder than gcse's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending