The Student Room Group

A level psychology or sociology

i really need help fast because i just started my a levels and im unsure whether to change psychology to sociology. I know i've only had 2 lessons of psych (we did some multi store model of memory) and im not sure if i want to stay. I do bio and chem as my other subjects and at gcse i was really good at writing essays in english, history and rs
Reply 1
Well it depends on what you want to do at uni really.What do you want to do? I do psychology , maths and computer science. However for psychology (i'm also in Y1) my college starts with research methods and is less complex.
Reply 2

Original post by sumsumz1
i really need help fast because i just started my a levels and im unsure whether to change psychology to sociology. I know i've only had 2 lessons of psych (we did some multi store model of memory) and im not sure if i want to stay. I do bio and chem as my other subjects and at gcse i was really good at writing essays in english, history and rs

Well it depends on what you want to do at uni really.What do you want to do? I do psychology , maths and computer science. However for psychology (i'm also in Y1) my college starts with research methods and is less complex.
Why don't you read the textbook/syllabus for psychology and see if the rest of the course interests you? Do the same with sociology maybe.
Then go with the one that interests you more :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lopetea

At uni im thinking maybe medicine or something healthcare. The main subjects i need for uni are bio and chem but the 3rd one idk if psychology is going to be too factual going along with bio, and im not sure if i should do a slightly relaxed a level such as sociology. What do you think of the psychology content?
Hi! I’m in year 13 and do both psychology and sociology. I love them both and they are both difficult in their own ways.

Firstly, contemplate what you want to do post-sixth form. This will come in handy. Bio and Chem both go into science work, so you don’t directly need a third (psychology), but if you want a more open playing field and possibly want to go into a more essay-based or humanities subject sociology is good.

Secondly, consider your own personal interests. It goes without saying (but let’s say it anyway) that you’ll find subject easier if you enjoy them. If you’re quite political or interested in societal change, then sociology will help in your everyday life and subject life. If you are interested in explanations for theories for why people act a certain way or how we might influence people, psychology is good.

Thirdly, I’d ask if it was possible to sit in on a sociology lesson if possible. Most heads of sixth-forms are really understanding and know that A-Levels are hard commitments if you don’t enjoy them. If you are interested after this, then change.

Consider that sociology and psychology have some things in common. For example, you’ll need to learn dates, theorists and theories and be about to evaluate both of them, as well as a significant amount of research methods. Sociology will have more essay-based questions (30 mark questions in 2nd/ A-Level year) whilst psychology will have some 16-markers (also in 2nd year) and shorter ones.

In addition, it’s generally accepted by most students that memory is the worst part of psychology. It’s tricky to get and annoying to remember, but if you consider it for a career then do it! It’ll help you along your way.

Generally, you seem smart and like you’ll succeed in either subjects. Just think about your future and weigh the pros and cons of both subjects. Hope it works out for the best! 😊
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by 1312ACAB
Hi! I’m in year 13 and do both psychology and sociology. I love them both and they are both difficult in their own ways.

Firstly, contemplate what you want to do post-sixth form. This will come in handy. Bio and Chem both go into science work, so you don’t directly need a third (psychology), but if you want a more open playing field and possibly want to go into a more essay-based or humanities subject sociology is good.

Secondly, consider your own personal interests. It goes without saying (but let’s say it anyway) that you’ll find subject easier if you enjoy them. If you’re quite political or interested in societal change, then sociology will help in your everyday life and subject life. If you are interested in explanations for theories for why people act a certain way or how we might influence people, psychology is good.

Thirdly, I’d ask if it was possible to sit in on a sociology lesson if possible. Most heads of sixth-forms are really understanding and know that A-Levels are hard commitments if you don’t enjoy them. If you are interested after this, then change.

Consider that sociology and psychology have some things in common. For example, you’ll need to learn dates, theorists and theories and be about to evaluate both of them, as well as a significant amount of research methods. Sociology will have more essay-based questions (30 mark questions in 2nd/ A-Level year) whilst psychology will have some 16-markers (also in 2nd year) and shorter ones.

In addition, it’s generally accepted by most students that memory is the worst part of psychology. It’s tricky to get and annoying to remember, but if you consider it for a career then do it! It’ll help you along your way.

Generally, you seem smart and like you’ll succeed in either subjects. Just think about your future and weigh the pros and cons of both subjects. Hope it works out for the best! 😊

Thank you so so much for replying :smile:
It was very helpful how you've explained it and even the exam questions structure which i clearly wasn't informed about
I'm going to ask to sit in a sociology lesson if they allow me to
And i shall weigh up the pros and cons and consider what i like its just i cant tell if i want to do a subject if i haven't got a taster of it
I just think that if i pick psychology am i pressurising myself with 3 very sciency topics? But then again i like science aahhefhbhdjfvj
Thank youuuu so much and i wish the best for you as well : )
Reply 7
At uni im thinking maybe medicine or something healthcare. The main subjects i need for uni are bio and chem but the 3rd one idk if psychology is going to be too factual going along with bio, and im not sure if i should do a slightly relaxed a level such as sociology. What do you think of the psychology content?

Hmm tbh out of everything the one that scares me the most is bio-psychology and memory . But many of my friends who picked sciences and are in Y2 picked psychology and they said it blends pretty well. Ngl if all you need is bio and chem which im guessing you really like then change psychology if you ain't feeling it because the moment A2 hits you wont be able to drop it and the content will get heavier.
Thank you so so much for replying :smile:
It was very helpful how you've explained it and even the exam questions structure which i clearly wasn't informed about
I'm going to ask to sit in a sociology lesson if they allow me to
And i shall weigh up the pros and cons and consider what i like its just i cant tell if i want to do a subject if i haven't got a taster of it
I just think that if i pick psychology am i pressurising myself with 3 very sciency topics? But then again i like science aahhefhbhdjfvj
Thank youuuu so much and i wish the best for you as well : )

Thank you as well!

I forgot to mention that in my psychology course there are 2/3 people who do Chem and Bio as well and, whilst it is a lot, they really enjoy it as they all contribute to each other. You’ll also probably breeze through the biopsychology part if you stick with psych!

And yeah, I understand, schools can be pretty terrible at explaining the exam structure until it’s too late to swap! So no problem : ))
Reply 9
Original post by 1312ACAB
Thank you as well!

I forgot to mention that in my psychology course there are 2/3 people who do Chem and Bio as well and, whilst it is a lot, they really enjoy it as they all contribute to each other. You’ll also probably breeze through the biopsychology part if you stick with psych!

And yeah, I understand, schools can be pretty terrible at explaining the exam structure until it’s too late to swap! So no problem : ))

aww thank youuu
yup i think imma stick with psych now i understand it better :smile:
all ze bestttt!

Quick Reply

Latest