The Student Room Group

Any advice on English Literature and Religion combined or single-honours degrees?

I have applied to study and English Literature degree at university but am now considering changing it to a combined degree with Religious Studies as I love the subject. I'm still uncertain with what job I want to to into later on but I am really interested in publishing, academia, library work and journalism plus I'm also hoping to do an MA after my degree. I thought RS would combine well with English and potentially open up a few other career paths (aid worker, human resources and religious related journalism) but unfortunately it is not a very common course in the UK. I am currently having a year out but luckily the university I already applied to for English does do the combined course which is great as I could easily swap over but now I have had my grades back I found out I would be able to reapply for more prestigious universities if I wanted to. I know Edinburgh does the English Literature and RS combined course but it's very far away from home and I'm not massively keen on doing a 4-year degree. Lancaster was also doing a degree that I loved too but unfortunately it seems like they've dropped RS this year which is a shame. I found out there is a slight chance I could get into Duhram for Theology and Religion but I do really want to study English too. For the sort of jobs I'm interested in would it be best to do an English Literature and RS combined degree at a lower ranked university or an RS/Theology degree at a prestigious university?

It's likely I will do the combined degree at the one I've already applied to as I loved the course and the university itself but I was curious to see what people thought and whether or not it's something worth considering!
(edited 3 years ago)
English Literature alone would be more than fine for any of the careers you've mentioned. If you want to combine English Lit with RS then that's your choice, but it wouldn't have a massive impact on your employability either way. You don't seem that keen on doing RS on its own so there isn't much point in you dropping your current offer just to go to a more "prestigious" university.
Original post by tiktoksensation
English Literature alone would be more than fine for any of the careers you've mentioned. If you want to combine English Lit with RS then that's your choice, but it wouldn't have a massive impact on your employability either way. You don't seem that keen on doing RS on its own so there isn't much point in you dropping your current offer just to go to a more "prestigious" university.

Thank you and yes I think it's more likely I will stick with English or possibly combine it with RS. I do actually think I would love an RS degree I've just always been a little bit worried about what options it would give me since a lot of the careers I'm interested in seem to fit best with English. I definitely want to make sure I pick the university/course I like most though rather than picking purely based on the universities ranking so thanks for this! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sleepycloud
Thank you and yes I think it's more likely I will stick with English or possibly combine it with RS. I do actually think I would love an RS degree I've just always been a little bit worried about what options it would give me since a lot of the careers I'm interested in seem to fit best with English. I definitely want to make sure I pick the university/course I like most though rather than picking purely based on the universities ranking so thanks for this! :smile:

Rankings aren't an accurate indicator of how good a university is. I'd say the student satisfaction rating is the most important out of them all. LSE for example is ranked highly overall but has really poor student satisfaction ratings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending