The Student Room Group

how to show a trigonometric function is increasing?

Hi,

here (again) yes my maths teachers want to kill me before COVID does :P

I’ll attach the question and my working - i just don’t know how to explain it? I’ve drawn a diagram to prove it and worked out dy/dx.

08412422-64BE-4A26-8110-666A7E168B1D.jpeg
C77EB7F3-2402-4649-95C3-2053825253ED.jpeg

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by dxnixl
Hi,

I’ll attach the question and my working - i just don’t know how to explain it? I’ve drawn a diagram to prove it and worked out dy/dx.

A function is increasing if its derivative is 0\geq 0. So as long as you can reason out why the derivative never negative, then you're good.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
A function is increasing if its derivative is 0\geq 0. So as long as you can reason out why the derivative never negative, then you're good.

so do i just differentiate xcosx again ergh i know that but for some reason i’ve gone blank :/ What do i substitute into xcosx to prove its greater or equal to 0?
Original post by dxnixl
so do i just differentiate xcosx again ergh i know that but for some reason i’ve gone blank :/ What do i substitute into xcosx to prove its greater or equal to 0?

Not again ... you already got the derivative, you just need to explain why it is 0\geq 0.

Note what the values of x are. Are they all positive? So is cos(x) always positive? Are you always ending up with a product xcos(x) which is positive?
Reply 4
Not again ... you already got the derivative, you just need to explain why it is 0\geq 0.

Note what the values of x are. Are they all positive? So is cos(x) always positive? Are you always ending up with a product xcos(x) which is positive?

yep - if i substitute any value between 0 and Pi/2, i always get a result > 0, so it’s an increasing function.

Would writing this be enough for the marks or do i have to numerically prove it?
strictly speaking the gradient must be positive for an increasing function. if is zero then we say it is "stationary"
Original post by dxnixl
yep - if i substitute any value between 0 and Pi/2, i always get a result > 0, so it’s an increasing function.

Would writing this be enough for the marks or do i have to numerically prove it?

To numerically prove it you would need to substitute in every real number between 0 and pi/2 ... up for the challenge?

All you need to do is reason it out, and as long as you do that you will get the marks.
Original post by the bear
strictly speaking the gradient must be positive for an increasing function. if is zero then we say it is "stationary"

https://www.math24.net/increasing-decreasing-functions/

It's like sequences.

{ 0 , 0 , 0 , ...} is increasing because an+1ana_{n+1} \geq a_n

{ 0 ,1 , 2 , ... } is strictly increasing because an+1>ana_{n+1} > a_n
Reply 8
To numerically prove it you would need to substitute in every real number between 0 and pi/2 ... up for the challenge?

All you need to do is reason it out, and as long as you do that you will get the marks.

Alright thanks :smile:
Original post by dxnixl
Hi,

please double check your derivative, did you remember to use the product rule for xsinx:smile:
Original post by dxnixl
Hi,

please double check your derivative, did you remember to use the product rule for xsinx:smile:
https://www.math24.net/increasing-decreasing-functions/

It's like sequences.

{ 0 , 0 , 0 , ...} is increasing because an+1ana_{n+1} \geq a_n

{ 0 ,1 , 2 , ... } is strictly increasing because an+1>ana_{n+1} > a_n

http://www.sunshinemaths.com/topics/calculus/increasing-and-decreasing-curves/
Original post by Melvin Guna

The function is
xsin(x) + cos(x)

You can have isolated points where the gradient is zero and still have a strictly increasing function. E.g. x^3 is strictly increasing (everywhere) but has derivative 0 at x = 0. (Most A-level references won't deal with this edge case, however).
Original post by mqb2766
The function is
xsin(x) + cos(x)

yeah, but the derivative of function xsin(x) + cos(x) is not xcos(x) :smile:
Original post by Melvin Guna
yeah, but the derivative of function xsin(x) + cos(x) is not xcos(x) :smile:

What is it?
Original post by mqb2766
What is it?

apologies ... I misread your earlier comment-you are right :smile:
Original post by DFranklin
You can have isolated points where the gradient is zero and still have a strictly increasing function. E.g. x^3 is strictly increasing (everywhere) but has derivative 0 at x = 0. (Most A-level references won't deal with this edge case, however).

thank you for clarifying :h:
thank you for clarifying :h:

No problem! FWIW, RDKGames is correct that the mathematical convention is that "increasing" includes the \leq case. I confess I was somewhat surprised as "non-decreasing" seems a better (less ambiguous) way of dealing with this (and that was what I *thought* the convention was).

Quick Reply

Latest