The Student Room Group

What are you most nervous about for University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by idunnwithlife
1) That I'm already behind and will be bottom of the class. It's a language course and, based on the groupchat, there's only two of us (myself included) out of the twenty that have never picked up the language before ;-;

:hugs: I think academics is a really common concern - I know I'm worried about being bottom of the class... I try to remind myself that the uni wouldn't have picked me if I wasn't able to do well really. For your course they clearly don't require prior knowledge of the language and people might be bigging up how much they know or be complacent and you'll quickly overtake them!

If it's really worrying you could you start looking at the language now (Duolingo maybe?) You probably don't need to but might help deal with the anxiety that others know more :smile:

2) That and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. All I cared about was studying before; never thought about my physical health. The habits stuck with me up until now - bad posture, eating a ton of junk and going to bed at ungodly hours. I'm starting to ease myself out, but I'm scared I won't be able to keep up when uni starts. I know it's a language course, but my uni is really intense so idk how I'll cope ;-; I can get into a study routine, but can never stick to a healthy lifestyle routine ;-;-;-;

Ah yeah not going to bed at 2am :biggrin:
If you're aware of it and actively trying to make it better though you must make some progress! Any small thing is good - you probably can't change everything overnight but eating more vegetables or going to bed at 12 rather than 1 is still positive. And when you're at uni you can buy your own food, organise your own timetable etc so it might be easier. It's a good time to actually make changes I think?

:goodluck:
Original post by yzanne
This is what I'm a little concerned about too, because we're all in bubbles of our flatmates. :redface:

Though, realistically, they'll find ways to safely do societies, and you'll meet people in seminars and things like that so I wouldn't be too worried :yep:

I try to remember that we're all in the same boat! :smile: If you think about it this way, there's no FOMO. :lol:

Yeah I'm sort of worried about what if I don't like my flatmates but they're my bubble :redface:

We just got told all our societies are now virtual for the first term due to the rule of 6 but hopefully will still be fun.

I think you're right though! Everyone has virtual freshers, flat bubbles etc so will have the same problems :rofl: Just got to remind myself of it! :biggrin:
Original post by A_J_B
I think her name is not George:confused:...maybe thats her surname?

Ooops :colondollar:
Sorry @DGeorge13!
Original post by becausethenight
Ooops :colondollar:
Sorry @DGeorge13!

Don’t worry - even some of my teachers thought I was called George!
Original post by DGeorge13
Don’t worry - even some of my teachers thought I was called George!

:ta:
How on Earth did that happen :lol:
Original post by becausethenight
:ta:
How on Earth did that happen :lol:

I guess because it’s a boys name and the register puts names backwards it would be easy to forget
I guess because it’s a boys name and the register puts names backwards it would be easy to forget

Ah I see - I was thinking ‘can’t the teachers see on the register’ but clearly that is a double edged sword!
it is every day and no sugar. Alcohol or overrated
making friends, i can't see myself making friends over zoom or other social medias, it's just not the same as face to face. also i hope i get along with my flatmates lol
Reply 69
I am also a bit worried about being flooded with too many lectures per day leaving me with no time to leave my room.
Original post by A_J_B
I am also a bit worried about being flooded with too many lectures per day leaving me with no time to leave my room.

What course are you doing? :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by 04MR17
What course are you doing? :smile:

Medicine
I’ve just switched to an economics half major.

I’m nervous about doing economics; it looks like fun but it’s going to be difficult. That I’m worried about but I hope I take it In my stride and perform well.

I have an extra module I need to do because the switch between courses meant that in my last course there was one module I did not cover in first year. Microeconomics - should be okay though. God willing.
Reply 73
:colondollar:
Original post by A_J_B

Good luck - I think medics seem to have a good social life? I’ll get back to you
Original post by A_J_B
Medicine

Okay so your timetable is going to be fairly busy. :smile: However, some days will certainly be less busy than others, and you will always have breaks at times during the day for lunch etc. Make use of the warmer evenings before the nights fully draw in - have a walk once you're finished but before you eat. :yep: Then you'll also have the weekends to go out a bit further and do some more exercise etc.

I'm currently doing full days online and it hasn't been terrible. :colondollar:
Original post by A_J_B
Medicine

Have you started yet?
I read an article somewhere saying a walk before you start working and one at the end of the day can help
Reply 77
Have you started yet?
I read an article somewhere saying a walk before you start working and one at the end of the day can help

Starting on 28th Sept, though welcome week starts on 21st Sept.
You are going to Newcastle right? When do they start?
Reply 78
Original post by 04MR17
Okay so your timetable is going to be fairly busy. :smile: However, some days will certainly be less busy than others, and you will always have breaks at times during the day for lunch etc. Make use of the warmer evenings before the nights fully draw in - have a walk once you're finished but before you eat. :yep: Then you'll also have the weekends to go out a bit further and do some more exercise etc.

I'm currently doing full days online and it hasn't been terrible. :colondollar:

Thanks for this! Will update you once we start hehe
Original post by A_J_B
Starting on 28th Sept, though welcome week starts on 21st Sept.
You are going to Newcastle right? When do they start?

Bristol actually - welcome week on 28th and course on the 5th

Quick Reply

Latest