The Student Room Group

university: Foundation year maths

.REMOVED
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sudanidoll
Hey so I was giving offer to study pharmacy with foundation year and one of the modules is maths . How hard is it ? I mean I got a 5 in gcses but and that was due to teacher issues yet 8s in chemistry and biology which was also maths related. I also want to apply to another university after passing foundation year hopefully, but I get my results in June so how will this work on ucas when deadline is jan 15th ? I’m doing foundation year because unfortunately my CAG grades were based on attendance/performance this year which was hindered due to circumstances, I was given BCE even though i was predicted A*AA October 2019 for early admissions. I’m not redoing the year at my sixth form as the environment and timetable has impacted my mental health and contributed to my failure.

Wouldnt you have been better doing the Autumn exams or just sitting them next summer?
It would be a lot cheaper and if your MH is so poor then you can get that under control.

Yes you can apply to other unis after foundation, but it would be a non standard entry. It is a lot easier for them to judge if you have A levels.
Be aware your foundation year will use part of your limited HE funding.
The other option is also to do a 1 year access course, which is funded from a different source, although I cant see if part of your reason wanting to do foundation is escape.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Wouldnt you have been better doing the Autumn exams or just sitting them next summer?
It would be a lot cheaper and if your MH is so poor then you can get that under control.

Yes you can apply to other unis after foundation, but it would be a non standard entry. It is a lot easier for them to judge if you have A levels.
Be aware your foundation year will use part of your limited HE funding.
The other option is also to do a 1 year access course, which is funded from a different source, although I cant see if part of your reason wanting

Yes fully aware the foundation year costs money and to resit the summer exams I would have to enrol into sixth form which is something i definitely can not do. Worst two years of my life . So you’re saying I can’t reapply to somewhere like kings with my current a-levels even after passing foundation year ?
Yes fully aware the foundation year costs money and to resit the summer exams I would have to enrol into sixth form which is something i definitely can not do. Worst two years of my life . So you’re saying I can’t reapply to somewhere like kings with my current a-levels even after passing foundation year ?

How'd you know uni won't be the same? At least with college its free and if u mess up its fine.

You can sit exams as a private candidate but you have to pay.

Ask them. Depends on where you did your foundation, your marks and what they make of your application. I wouldnt hold your breath. Not worth banking your hopes on.
Reply 5
You can sit exams as a private candidate but you have to pay.

Ask them. Depends on where you did your foundation, your marks and what they make of your application. I wouldnt hold your breath. Not worth banking your hopes on.

Yeah I can’t afford to pay for all those papers. When you say not worth banking my hopes , are you saying not to expect much ? As in it’s unlikely? I mean I appreciate your opinion I don’t want to be surprised. It’s at Lincoln uni, for pharmacy.
Original post by Ohnourlp
Yeah I can’t afford to pay for all those papers. When you say not worth banking my hopes , are you saying not to expect much ? As in it’s unlikely? I mean I appreciate your opinion I don’t want to be surprised. It’s at Lincoln uni, for pharmacy.

Just speak to them and they will either say nay or possible, but youd need to be looking at getting distinctions all the way and even then its competitive.
Your issue is you have nothing on the table. If your predicted grades were A*AA then why didnt you appeal?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
How'd you know uni won't be the same? At least with college its free and if u mess up its fine.

Trust me I know, my teachers were just very unhelpful and biased, unlikely to be anywhere else. There’s barely any colleges around me that do Aqa biology and chemistry, only sixth form. Do you think I’ll mess up in uni or ? I don’t know what to expect obviously but I’m starting to think it’s not positive now. I mean if I fail the foundation year there are other universities such as Essex that’ll accept me as they said.
Reply 8
Just speak to them and they will either say nay or possible, but youd need to be looking at getting distinctions all the way and even then its competitive.
Your issue is you have nothing on the table. If your predicted grades were A*AA then why didnt you appeal?

I wasn’t allowed to appeal, ofqual made the CAG grades final. I’ve tried everything already. But yh thanks a lot I’ll double check, they’re not answering emails and phone lines closed. It’s been a pretty unfortunate year. Just gonna try hard this year and hopefully pass, even if I can’t get into the unis close to home I will still get into the normal pharmacy degree as the foundation is integrated. Do you if the modules are hard at foundation ? Harder than alevels ?
Original post by Ohnourlp
I wasn’t allowed to appeal, ofqual made the CAG grades final. I’ve tried everything already. But yh thanks a lot I’ll double check, they’re not answering emails and phone lines closed. It’s been a pretty unfortunate year. Just gonna try hard this year and hopefully pass, even if I can’t get into the unis close to home I will still get into the normal pharmacy degree as the foundation is integrated. Do you if the modules are hard at foundation ? Harder than alevels ?

I wouldnt think so. As I said I would do A levels or access because I would have unfinished business if I knew I could get A*AA.
Whether you progress onto the main degree will depend on your grades.
Hey
So are you sure you want to study Pharmacy, a very quick scroll through your previous posts is mainly all about dentistry, is that dead now? Pharmacy is a very intense course I think from what i've heard from students on it. You mentioned having problems with 6th form and mental health and anxiety problems. Pharmacy is all about people. (Have family member in it) so are you OK working with people? The public can be very demanding, I know, from my part-time jobs! Have you managed to get a day in a community pharmacy to see if you would want to do that.
My family member always says he would never recommend it to anyone these days. The pay is bad now and he gets really stressed out he says. The reason I type is because we happened to be talking about A levels and university and I was just scrolling and saw your post. I hope you don't mind me writing but I just thought I'd mention what he said. Mainly don't just pick it to do something. He said the medicine and dentistry rejects (sorry!) were the most unhappiest because one told him, that deep down, he didn't want to be a pharmacist but felt under pressure from family and friends to just do something. I hope you get on ok whatever you pick.
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Hey
So are you sure you want to study Pharmacy, a very quick scroll through your previous posts is mainly all about dentistry, is that dead now? Pharmacy is a very intense course I think from what i've heard from students on it. You mentioned having problems with 6th form and mental health and anxiety problems. Pharmacy is all about people. (Have family member in it) so are you OK working with people? The public can be very demanding, I know, from my part-time jobs! Have you managed to get a day in a community pharmacy to see if you would want to do that.
My family member always says he would never recommend it to anyone these days. The pay is bad now and he gets really stressed out he says. The reason I type is because we happened to be talking about A levels and university and I was just scrolling and saw your post. I hope you don't mind me writing but I just thought I'd mention what he said. Mainly don't just pick it to do something. He said the medicine and dentistry rejects (sorry!) were the most unhappiest because one told him, that deep down, he didn't want to be a pharmacist but felt under pressure from family and friends to just do something. I hope you get on ok whatever you pick.

Hey thank you for your reply ! Quite the other way actually, I was kind of forced to apply to dentistry by my family, I don't really have a huge passion for oral health and I wanted to do pharmacy in year 11 but was advised not to. I love chemistry more than biology and i've worked in many hospitals and it didn't really inspire me significantly. The theatres were bloody, I wouldn't mind being a doctor but I don't have 100% passion for it. To be honest, I don't know what I want to do, I'm 18 and I'm lost which is embarrassing. I'm actually social but my school environment wasn't positive and people made me feel very insecure, fell into depression and then didn't want to go school the next day or lost the motivation to work. This is why I really don't want to re take. What you said really helped thanks i'd love to hear more ! If Pharmacy is very bad then I think i'll do biochemistry. I just want to live comfortably and work in the medical field. Isn't every degree competitive (science) though ? if I take biomedicine/chemistry in the hopes of finding work but then don't then i'll be gutted. With pharmacy at least I could say i've tried. Although this isn't great, I do put money over passion and I'm a very hard person to disappoint.

Quick Reply

Latest