The Student Room Group

Cpr!!! Help

Hey I need advice , I got a student loan paid in January 20 , I left uni in October due to complications in my pregnancy.
I was suffering depression and bad anxiety and was put on anti depressant, I was on beta blockers because my blood pressure was so high and was being tested for pre-eclampsia. I had a meeting with my advisor in college and she advised me I should take the year out because of my health. I also had problems with my liver and was on medication. I have had money took off my loan because I was over paid , but I thought I was entitled to that loan in January because my April one was cancelled so I assumed that one would be too if I wasn’t entitled to it. I have spoke with student finance and they said only thing I can do is apply for CPR to take into consideration to give me my full entitlement of my loan. Anyone else apply for this , in a single mother and no job and I really need this loan!
Original post by Kirstd2020
Hey I need advice , I got a student loan paid in January 20 , I left uni in October due to complications in my pregnancy.
I was suffering depression and bad anxiety and was put on anti depressant, I was on beta blockers because my blood pressure was so high and was being tested for pre-eclampsia. I had a meeting with my advisor in college and she advised me I should take the year out because of my health. I also had problems with my liver and was on medication. I have had money took off my loan because I was over paid , but I thought I was entitled to that loan in January because my April one was cancelled so I assumed that one would be too if I wasn’t entitled to it. I have spoke with student finance and they said only thing I can do is apply for CPR to take into consideration to give me my full entitlement of my loan. Anyone else apply for this , in a single mother and no job and I really need this loan!

The correct method in dealing with this should have been you told sfe as soon as you ceased to be a student back in October. From that moment on you are not entitled to student finance because you are no longer a student and any payment received they can ask for back in full.
From that moment you can temporarily try and make a compelling personal reason claim, normally its when you go back to uni to reclaim that years entitlement but you want a discretionary payment for them to keep paying you. Such payments by SFE are entirely discretionary and you have no right to be paid when you cease to be a student.

They can do this if they believe your situation was beyond your control and they treat each claim on a case by case basis.

SFE also expect you to transfer onto the main benefits system. Student mothers with dependents can claim UC.

Please refer to the links below for an explanation of cpr and what you need to do.

Besides getting the letter right, its important if you have it to supply or obtain independent supporting evidence such as a GP letter.

https://www.solent.ac.uk/finance/documents/how-to-apply-for-compelling-personal-reasons-and-discretionary-payments.pdf
http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=25908
https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/sscs/money-management/guides/personal-reasons/

I think you will have a good case for a discretionary payment, although how long that would be for is up to them and I do think they will have expected you to transfer to benefits. You will just have to supply info showing how ill you were/ are.

Quick Reply

Latest