The Student Room Group

How long does it take to make friends at uni?

I’ve been here for 4 days and I’ve made 0 friends but I look around and everybody already has a group of friends..like what am I doing wrong? I’ve gone up to people and introduced myself etc. It’s starting to feel so lonely how long does it take to make proper friends
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been here for 4 days and I’ve made 0 friends but I look around and everybody already has a group of friends..like what am I doing wrong? I’ve gone up to people and introduced myself etc. It’s starting to feel so lonely how long does it take to make proper friends

Hey OP!! Honestly don't worry at all - that is 100% so normal, and I bet most people are also feeling that way! It's pretty accepted the people you spend freshers with are rarely the people you stick with as your close mates through your degree - it takes a hot minute to find people you really click with!

Really really don't worry about not finding people immediately, but it can really help to make a bit of an effort and go to events (eg at the SU, or within your accommodation, or around the uni) to meet people just to have a few friendly faces around as you start out! I know it can take a lot of guts to do, but even one event a day can be awesome for meeting people, and they can be a lot of fun as well!!
Also following up with anyone you intro yourself to - adding them on social media, dropping them a message, and arranging to meet up (eg for coffee or cake or drinks etc) can be really helpful!

Have you thought about joining any societies? Are you on any group chats for your course/halls? What I found best was to literally just message people on the various chats that looked like they might be similar to me, and go from there. That’s how I made my first friends at uni :smile:

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:
If you dont mind me asking, which uni are you at? If we are at the same uni or unis nearby we can be friends. I havent made any friends either tbh
Reply 5
If you dont mind me asking, which uni are you at? If we are at the same uni or unis nearby we can be friends. I havent made any friends either tbh

Queen Mary university of London
Queen Mary university of London

Lol I will be studying at KCL, the anon was me btw dw lol. Well do you wanna be friends? If so.. hmu?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending