uchiha01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I havn't done **** since march and I am about to do a chemistry degree soon. Is first year any different from A levels? Should I be revising? I have around 2 weeks before the course actually starts.
Eaphysics
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s similar. You’ll still have to put in some work but I think you’re fine
MikeOksmall
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nah you don’t need to do any work unless the university/course has set you some work to do before coming.
uchiha01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eaphysics)
It’s similar. You’ll still have to put in some work but I think you’re fine
are the exams the same tho? I remeber doing mocks and theyre all jack **** hard even though I understand my content.
uchiha01
Rep:
?
(Original post by MikeOksmall)
Nah you don’t need to do any work unless the university/course has set you some work to do before coming.
nah they didnt set any work but my mates revising maths and its making me think I should do something too. ngl i forgot everything and I dont wanna be the stupidest one in the class but idk i dont feel like revising since education has started yet technically.
Eaphysics
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by uchiha01)
are the exams the same tho? I remeber doing mocks and theyre all jack **** hard even though I understand my content.
Some will be easier and some won’t be because you’ll learn new stuff. But I don’t think it’s necessary to work before hand. You’ll be eased into it. When you start you can go full academic mode
uchiha01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eaphysics)
Some will be easier and some won’t be because you’ll learn new stuff. But I don’t think it’s necessary to work before hand. You’ll be eased into it. When you start you can go full academic mode
even wen i basically know nothing rn? like my chemistry knowledge is 0 even this is okay? i just need clarification😭😭😭😭
Rarest
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It might be useful to just brush up on a bit of the basics before you go along, but even if you don't, first year should still be fine so don't worry too much.
Eaphysics
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
even wen i basically know nothing rn? like my chemistry knowledge is 0 even this is okay? i just need clarification😭😭😭😭
Haha I hear you. Dw most people have forgotten everything too. You’ll get enough at the start to go over the basics before you going into more detail. Also your lectures will somewhat cover some of it to jog your memory
Koreaboo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
a little recap should be fine, guaranteed no else has studied during summer tho enjoy ur break fam.
Native087
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Morning.

I just finished first year chem of a 4 year course.

My first year counted towards 0% of my final grade. I would start working a bit in first year, and see how it goes. Don't do anything now other than relax and enjoy time off.
In terms of exams, we have 6 units a year, 2 were 100% coursework.
4 were exam based, where 40% is coursework and 60% is the exam. The coursework is made up of online quizzes and a laboratory report, each hold 20% weighting.
40% in each unit is needed to pass the first year, and that is possible from GCSE level, do not worry
uchiha01
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Native087)
Morning.

I just finished first year chem of a 4 year course.

My first year counted towards 0% of my final grade. I would start working a bit in first year, and see how it goes. Don't do anything now other than relax and enjoy time off.
In terms of exams, we have 6 units a year, 2 were 100% coursework.
4 were exam based, where 40% is coursework and 60% is the exam. The coursework is made up of online quizzes and a laboratory report, each hold 20% weighting.
40% in each unit is needed to pass the first year, and that is possible from GCSE level, do not worry
ahhh i see what uni did you go to? also do you think i should bring any A level chemistry stuff or just throw them out I'm conflicted.
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You don’t really need to, but if you’re the type to work at your own pace. It might help to have a look over things just before you start. This helps to prevent getting stressed in the first few weeks when you find gaps in memory or knowledge or things.
Native087
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ahhh i see what uni did you go to? also do you think i should bring any A level chemistry stuff or just throw them out I'm conflicted.
Manchester, it’s a distance learning course so could be slightly different. If you’re staying at uni accommodation, and it’s far from home, I wouldn’t bother taking any. Worst case, make scans of some stuff with adobe reader. Do not fret my friend
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.74%
I'm not sure (2)
1.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (39)
31.45%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.42%
I'm not a current university student (58)
46.77%

Watched Threads