The Student Room Group

First automatic?

What car would you get for your first automatic? any tips on which to stay away from?
anything with a Jatco trans, all cheap autos suck so I'd say all of them but Jatcos especially, they will fail at 30k miles easily.
Original post by AH-64 APACHE
anything with a Jatco trans, all cheap autos suck so I'd say all of them but Jatcos especially, they will fail at 30k miles easily.

What about a Ford Focus?
Original post by Teddy650123
What about a Ford Focus?

Sluggish auto gearbox, don't do it.

Most cars with a decent auto gearbox for a new driver to use are from premium brands. SEAT are probably the cheapest option for an auto gearbox small engine car; but generally Audis have good auto gearboxes in their small engine cars; but they're also extremely rare because aside from some specs they are an optional factory extra, as the A1 comes with a manual as standard.
Subject is matter of opinion as you'll get one person saying get an Audi for example and another will tell you they're one of the worst autos, my suggestion would be get the car you really like and just go about it as if it was manual so if you want a focus get a focus or if you want an Audi get an Audi but either way expect problems just like you expect them when buying a manual, one thing i would 100% not do is buy one with high millage especially with Audi a3s and just autos in general i would aim if possible depending on budget for less than 50k miles unless they have well looked after it.
I've got a 2009 Peugeot 107 Automatic. It's ok - does the job. Has a relatively good kickdown when you need power. Will even drop to first if the time is right. Has a manual mode on it which can be useful to stop it going up and down gears on back/hilly roads.
I don’t really like the look of Peugeot 107s but I have heard they’re decent cars 👍I was looking at possibly an Audi A3 or possibly a Ford but everyone keeps saying the gearboxes are awful 🤣
Original post by Teddy650123
I don’t really like the look of Peugeot 107s but I have heard they’re decent cars 👍I was looking at possibly an Audi A3 or possibly a Ford but everyone keeps saying the gearboxes are awful 🤣

yeah I'm pretty sure ford focus'es have the "powershit" transmission which was absolutely terrible, but I could be mistak e
Are the Audi gearboxes that bad too? I’m yet to find a gearbox that someone doesn’t call **** lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending