The Student Room Group

Accommodation says to not bring an iron??? Should I sneak one in?

I understand it is not allowed because of fire rules but it is the fact it seems like you have to share an iron and because of it I am like 😬 especially with the coronavirus.

I was planning bringing a mini iron and small an ironing board that can hang up in the wardrobe. Any advice?
Original post by Ratchet Hoe
I understand it is not allowed because of fire rules but it is the fact it seems like you have to share an iron and because of it I am like 😬 especially with the coronavirus.

I was planning bringing a mini iron and small an ironing board that can hang up in the wardrobe. Any advice?

Most people don't use an iron at uni tbh (unless you have clothes made of fabric that's prone to creasing). If you get your clothes out of the washer/dryer fast enough and hang them on hangers, they are usually fine.

I doubt the accommodation will provide an iron unless they state that in their inventory list.

I didn't use an iron at all living in halls, unless you have something that very specifically needs it i wouldn't bother.
Very few students actually iron - if there's a shared one it's very possible you would be the only one using it.

You could probably sneak one in without getting caught, (obviously if you set a fire alarm off with it you'd be in trouble) but I don't anticipate it'd be used that much.
(edited 3 years ago)
Just do it, nobody is going to check. Might want to buy some PAT testing stickers to go with it.

I had quite a lot of ironing at uni, fortunately I had a deal with the halls cleaner so she did it for me :h:
@PhoenixFortune @claireestelle @_gcx Thank you for responding guys! I in the video I saw of the halls there was a room (kinda creepy) where you would wash/dry and iron so yeah it looks like it's shared tbh but I don't like that aspect. Also do we have to pay to use the washing machine and dryer depending are where you are?
@PhoenixFortune @claireestelle @_gcx Thank you for responding guys! I in the video I saw of the halls there was a room (kinda creepy) where you would wash/dry and iron so yeah it looks like it's shared tbh but I don't like that aspect. Also do we have to pay to use the washing machine and dryer depending are where you are?

most halls charge for the washing machine and dryer.
I wouldn't smuggle one in, you risk getting into trouble i.e. being evicted altogether, or possibly not being covered by insurance. This could mean you having to pay more than you bargained for in the event of an incident e.g. a fire resulting from your decision to bring an iron in, despite being expressly asked not to. I'd suggest buying some cleaning wipes and using those.
Are you realistically going to iron something? :smile:
(My uni list says the same - not even allowed extension sockets...:frown:)
(edited 3 years ago)

I mean I brought a microwave they didn't seem to notice tho
ITT: I've learned that I was a massive outlier at uni for having an iron and ironing my clothes properly.
Original post by AcseI
ITT: I've learned that I was a massive outlier at uni for having an iron and ironing my clothes properly.

want to know how you were bothered lol
Original post by _gcx
want to know how you were bothered lol

I mostly wear shirts, which IMO look horrible when not ironed. Besides that it was a 10 minute job once or twice a week. It was less something I was bothered to do, and more just a natural thing that happened :biggrin:

Hi!

In first year when I moved into my flat with 8 others I was the only person to take an iron to uni. Nobody else used it or wanted to use my one which could be the same case for you. I only used it to iron my white shirts that I had to take to work. I've never known of uni accommodations providing an iron so I would only recommend taking one if you definitely know that you will use it, otherwise I wouldn't as its just extra things in your room that you don't use!

Have fun at uni! Sam-Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest