The Student Room Group

help! going to uni in covid

Hi! So I'm meant to be going to the UK on Friday to stay at the hall of my uni. I'm a first year by the way!
There is however an option to study online until the end of October - am I foolish to be moving overseas during this pandemic? Should I just study online??
Mostly, I'm scared that there will be a huge second wave that will force the UK to shut down or something, and that I won't be able to make it back home.
This is a very stressful situation as my fears of the current pandemic intertwine with my sadness of leaving home for the first time...

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!
Original post by 142anonyme142
Hi! So I'm meant to be going to the UK on Friday to stay at the hall of my uni. I'm a first year by the way!
There is however an option to study online until the end of October - am I foolish to be moving overseas during this pandemic? Should I just study online??
Mostly, I'm scared that there will be a huge second wave that will force the UK to shut down or something, and that I won't be able to make it back home.
This is a very stressful situation as my fears of the current pandemic intertwine with my sadness of leaving home for the first time...

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

the uk changes it's quarantining requirements with little notice, so i would move over whilst you can incase your country gets added to the list and you won't be able to go out for 2 weeks.
Original post by claireestelle
the uk changes it's quarantining requirements with little notice, so i would move over whilst you can incase your country gets added to the list and you won't be able to go out for 2 weeks.

Actually I do already need to quarantine for 2 weeks upon arrival! I just don't know what to do >.<
Actually I do already need to quarantine for 2 weeks upon arrival! I just don't know what to do >.<

Our sitch is just going to get worse as time goes on (Winter is traditionally horrible for the NHS + health system in general) and as it gets colder, viruses and whatnot spread better due to a menagerie of climate/socio/etc factors. Anyway, move while you can and get here before **** hits the fan and lockdowns start getting widespread.
Original post by Callicious
Our sitch is just going to get worse as time goes on (Winter is traditionally horrible for the NHS + health system in general) and as it gets colder, viruses and whatnot spread better due to a menagerie of climate/socio/etc factors. Anyway, move while you can and get here before **** hits the fan and lockdowns start getting widespread.

Hmm that is true! That is also what I'm worried about - really strict lockdowns which will potentially make it impossible for me to go back home (for Christmas for example)
I guess I'm just worried that I could arrive there and then just be locked in my room even after self quarantine, in which case I would have preferred to be studying at home with my family around instead of being alone ://

Going round and round in my head is exhausting 😭
Hmm that is true! That is also what I'm worried about - really strict lockdowns which will potentially make it impossible for me to go back home (for Christmas for example)
I guess I'm just worried that I could arrive there and then just be locked in my room even after self quarantine, in which case I would have preferred to be studying at home with my family around instead of being alone ://

Going round and round in my head is exhausting 😭

You aren't really locked in your room alone during lockdowns; I mean sure you can't meet up with people or whatever, but you can still go for walks and runs or out and about in your local area. Depends on where you live, but it's not that bad.

Quick Reply

Latest