The Student Room Group

Upset offer withdrawn

Hi I was given a place at huddersfield university to study mental health nursing. This offer has now been withdrawn by the university because I don't have the maths qualification that they want.

I applied to the exam board for a maths replacemebt certificate in July. It was meant to take them 20 days. After 39 days they still hadnt started the search. I managed to get them to do the search. They have now said they cant find any of my qualifications from when I was younger.

I asked the university if I could do the maths alongside the course but they won't let me.

I am upset about it, if the exam board had told me sooner that they couldn't find my qualification, I could have gone to Sheffield as they accepted what qualifications I had. But now it's too late. I have gcse English. Access to Higher Education level 2, which includes maths. Access to Higher Education level 3 and a psychology with Counselling degree 2.1. My gcse maths is only a d.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I emailed them yesterday but the course on the website says it is full. I wish I had known sooner.
Reply 2
They offered me a place as I did a level 2 maths course, when I was much younger ( I am a mature student) the exam board cant find the qualification. They cant find any qualifications that I did at college when I was much younger. It's taken them 43 days to tell me that and cost me 50 pounds.
Reply 3
I cant go far as I have 2 children.
Reply 4
I'm 41 years old and they want a qualification from when I was 16. I studied my psychology with Counselling degree at huddersfield university and finished 8 years ago. When I applied for the psychology with Counselling course they accepted my access level 2 maths as it is equivalent to a gcse grade c or higher. The nursing course wont accept it as they said it has to be a stand alone qualification.
Sheffield will accept a grade d maths and they also accept the access course.

After finding out that they couldn't find my maths. I waited 2 days for the university to tell me that they wont let me do the functional maths along side the course. It's a 20 week course at college or it can be done quicker online.
Original post by shoegirl12
Hi I was given a place at huddersfield university to study mental health nursing. This offer has now been withdrawn by the university because I don't have the maths qualification that they want.

From what you've said, they didn't withdraw the offer, you failed to provide proof of qualifications to meet its conditions. I'd be mad at the exam board, and myself for losing the original certificate.

Hopefully Sheffield will get someone change their mind. Good luck.

I applied to the exam board for a maths replacemebt certificate in July. It was meant to take them 20 days. After 39 days they still hadnt started the search. I managed to get them to do the search. They have now said they cant find any of my qualifications from when I was younger.

I asked the university if I could do the maths alongside the course but they won't let me.

I am upset about it, if the exam board had told me sooner that they couldn't find my qualification, I could have gone to Sheffield as they accepted what qualifications I had. But now it's too late. I have gcse English. Access to Higher Education level 2, which includes maths. Access to Higher Education level 3 and a psychology with Counselling degree 2.1. My gcse maths is only a d.

The stanadards are set by the nmc and usually you need a GCSE maths grade or equivalent and If you don't have proof of that you could end up having difficulty receiving your nmc pin at the end.
@Emily_B correct me if I'm wrong please but is this required by the nmc?
Reply 7
Original post by Seretonin
The stanadards are set by the nmc and usually you need a GCSE maths grade or equivalent and If you don't have proof of that you could end up having difficulty receiving your nmc pin at the end.

Sheffield accept a grade d. They also accept the access level 2 it is a gcse equivalent.
Reply 8
Original post by RogerOxon
From what you've said, they didn't withdraw the offer, you failed to provide proof of qualifications to meet its conditions. I'd be mad at the exam board, and myself for losing the original certificate.

Hopefully Sheffield will get someone change their mind. Good luck.

Thank you
Reply 9
Original post by Seretonin

Yes you're right, it's all to do with NMC requirements.
So the NMC approves courses, to get your pin you only need to have passed a nursing/midwifery degree approved by them. That does involve being able to do basic maths - does anyone really want a nurse who can't work out the right dose of medication to them?? I've recently been a bit of a swot and had a re-read through various standards, where for education all it says is that prospective students must be able to show that they can cope with the mathematical demands of the course, or something worded like that (and then obviously be able to do the basic maths required in the job!) This is why universities demand that you have GCSE maths - to prove that you are capable of basic maths and therefore meet NMC requirements.
Reply 10
Original post by Emily_B
Yes you're right, it's all to do with NMC requirements.
So the NMC approves courses, to get your pin you only need to have passed a nursing/midwifery degree approved by them. That does involve being able to do basic maths - does anyone really want a nurse who can't work out the right dose of medication to them?? I've recently been a bit of a swot and had a re-read through various standards, where for education all it says is that prospective students must be able to show that they can cope with the mathematical demands of the course, or something worded like that (and then obviously be able to do the basic maths required in the job!) This is why universities demand that you have GCSE maths - to prove that you are capable of basic maths and therefore meet NMC requirements.

I understand that. I have an access to Higher Education level 2 which includes maths and is a gcse equivalent. Sheffield would have accepted that and they would have accepted the grade d gcse maths. The qualification that the university wanted is now 24 years old. Whereas my access and gcse is 13 years old. My degree in which I had to do a lot of statistics is 8 years old.
They offered me a place as I did a level 2 maths course, when I was much younger ( I am a mature student) the exam board cant find the qualification. They cant find any qualifications that I did at college when I was much younger. It's taken them 43 days to tell me that and cost me 50 pounds.

Have you lost your certificates? Are you sure you checked the right board, right name, right school?
Reply 12
If I had managed to do better at school. That gcse would now be 25 years old. The university would accept that. Yet wont accept a more recent equivalent.
Could you look at other Universities nearby that may have spaces through clearing? Sheffield Hallam, Leeds Beckett etc?
Have you tried asking your old school? There's a slim chance they still have records - or even your old certificate. Equally, are you sure you asked the right exam board?

Are you sure you have the right exam board?
Make a complaint.
Why didnt you get this sorted out sooner?
Why would Huddersfield accept a grade D GCSE which is a failing grade?
I find it surprising Sheffield wouldnt also require Maths?
If I had managed to do better at school. That gcse would now be 25 years old. The university would accept that. Yet wont accept a more recent equivalent.

What is the more recent equivalent?
I understand that. I have an access to Higher Education level 2 which includes maths and is a gcse equivalent. Sheffield would have accepted that and they would have accepted the grade d gcse maths. The qualification that the university wanted is now 24 years old. Whereas my access and gcse is 13 years old. My degree in which I had to do a lot of statistics is 8 years old.

When it comes to nursing degrees, universities are unfortunately VERY specific about these sorts of things. Lesson being 1) don't lose certificates 2) can't change the past now.

Original post by 999tigger
I find it surprising Sheffield wouldnt also require Maths?

I've just had a look, seeing as I too was surprised. Uni of Sheffield don't appear to offer MH nursing, but Sheffield Hallam Uni does, and they DO state grade 4/C for English and 4/D for maths, or the access course including maths which OP has.

OP I would suggest you speak to Sheffield Hallam. There may not be much you can do about this year, but may be able to get in for either September 2021 or Jan/Feb/March 2021 if they have a new year cohort.
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
Have you lost your certificates? Are you sure you checked the right board, right name, right school?

I thought it was the right board. I have looked at another possible exam board but they are only doing searches for 2000 onwards.
Reply 19
Original post by Moana92
Could you look at other Universities nearby that may have spaces through clearing? Sheffield Hallam, Leeds Beckett etc?

They are all full.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending