The Student Room Group

ATAS delay - Course starting date impact!!!

Hey guys,

I am a PhD admit to the University of Southampton. I was supposed to receive my ATAS by 10th July 2020, but haven't received a decision on it yet!! I had applied for a second ATAS on the 27th of August. I had informed my prof. that I have lesser chances of starting my PhD on the scheduled start date (24th Sept). He said me to inform my department about ATAS and possible course commencement delays. How many of you are facing a similar situation? What did your prof. tell about delay of start date? Would your funding be impacted?
Reply 1
Hi I am in the same boat as yours. My estimated decision date was supposed to be 22nd July. Its very annoying.
Reply 2
Hi I am in the same boat as yours. My estimated decision date was supposed to be 22nd July. Its very annoying.
Reply 3
Original post by iknoor

Did you inform your university or department or Prof? What did they say?
Reply 4
Original post by VRK94
Did you inform your university or department or Prof? What did they say?

Yes, but they can't do anything. The only option is to wait. They also don't recommend applying again.
Reply 5
Original post by iknoor
Yes, but they can't do anything. The only option is to wait. They also don't recommend applying again.

Hello Iknoor,
In my case, my prof. asked me to inform the uni that I cant start my PhD on the original start date and asked me to inform the department that I will inform of start date once I receive my ATAS.
I applied my first ATAS on 13th June and was supposed to receive a decision by 10th July. So, I applied for a second one on 27th August with expected date of 24th Sept. Guess what!!! I received a response on my second ATAS application today - in fact 10 days before the expected decision date. My first ATAS is still "SUBMITTED". I strongly recommend you to apply a second ATAS and keep chasing your first one. You won't loose anything.
P.S. I applied my second ATAS with the same email id for the same course in the same uni.
Reply 6
Original post by VRK94
Hello Iknoor,
In my case, my prof. asked me to inform the uni that I cant start my PhD on the original start date and asked me to inform the department that I will inform of start date once I receive my ATAS.
I applied my first ATAS on 13th June and was supposed to receive a decision by 10th July. So, I applied for a second one on 27th August with expected date of 24th Sept. Guess what!!! I received a response on my second ATAS application today - in fact 10 days before the expected decision date. My first ATAS is still "SUBMITTED". I strongly recommend you to apply a second ATAS and keep chasing your first one. You won't loose anything.
P.S. I applied my second ATAS with the same email id for the same course in the same uni.

Hi
Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it.
However, I finally got my ATAS today after a long wait. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by iknoor
Hi
Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it.
However, I finally got my ATAS today after a long wait. :smile:

Congrats mate! Good to know that!
Reply 8
Original post by VRK94
Hello Iknoor,

Did the first one ever come through? I know someone who also applied in June and it just says "submitted".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending