The Student Room Group

Urgent accommodation help needed

Hi all,
I've applied to NTU and have been thinking whether to take gap year to decide exactly what I wanna do (or at least feel a bit confident that I made a good choice). I applied for accommodation yesterday so that if I want to go this year to do the course i applied for that I have uni accommodation - to my surprise i got an offer but I have only 12 hours to decide. However what I need is desperate advice on how the contract works - if I accept the accommodation offer but then decide to not go to uni this year (cancel my uni application) - will I be able to cancel it or will I be forced to pay for it while I take the gap year?

Thanks so much for your time
Original post by JellyBurger676
Hi all,
I've applied to NTU and have been thinking whether to take gap year to decide exactly what I wanna do (or at least feel a bit confident that I made a good choice). I applied for accommodation yesterday so that if I want to go this year to do the course i applied for that I have uni accommodation - to my surprise i got an offer but I have only 12 hours to decide. However what I need is desperate advice on how the contract works - if I accept the accommodation offer but then decide to not go to uni this year (cancel my uni application) - will I be able to cancel it or will I be forced to pay for it while I take the gap year?

Thanks so much for your time

What did you decide in the end? :smile:
Normally if you cancel your contract you will lose the deposit but you aren't expected to pay the rest of the year's rent.
Original post by 04MR17
What did you decide in the end? :smile:
Normally if you cancel your contract you will lose the deposit but you aren't expected to pay the rest of the year's rent.

@04MR17 I have like 10 minutes left to decide im ******** myself
@04MR17 I have like 10 minutes left to decide im ******** myself

What course are you doing and why are you hesitant about it?

I'm here for the next 10 mins. :smile:
@JellyBurger676, my advice would be to take it. If you later change your mind you aren't going to be forced to pay £0000s when the university will very likely fill the room anyway and you won't be living there. You might lose a couple of hundred quid in the form of a deposit; but that's buttons compared to the total amount of money that changes hands through tuition fees, maintenance loans and rent over the year. There's not a lot to lose in saying yes.
Original post by 04MR17
What course are you doing and why are you hesitant about it?

I'm here for the next 10 mins. :smile:

Hey History and International relations - i just worry ill bore myself with 10000 word long essays. i also wanted to do my car, loose weight and collect some money before uni
Hey History and International relations - i just worry ill bore myself with 10000 word long essays. i also wanted to do my car, loose weight and collect some money before uni

Well for a kick off you won't be looking at essays anywhere near that length this year. First years are going to be 1-2k essays, 3k tops. There's next to no chance you will be able to have your car at uni if staying in halls, just as a warning. While those are noble goals it doesn't really sound like something you could fill a year with to be honest. My advice would still be to take it. :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
Well for a kick off you won't be looking at essays anywhere near that length this year. First years are going to be 1-2k essays, 3k tops. There's next to no chance you will be able to have your car at uni if staying in halls, just as a warning. While those are noble goals it doesn't really sound like something you could fill a year with to be honest. My advice would still be to take it. :smile:

Haha I can't believe I pressed book 2 minutes before.
Oh sorry if this is a large request but could you reply to my questions or concerns relating to this problem in the next few days/ 2 weeks?

Also what you said that I could cancel it was what I wasn't very sure about (even if i loose 200 for deposit I don't care - as long as i can cancel and not end up paying a whole year for accomodation which i will never step foot on).
The website says this after I pressed book (does this link again to what you said but without paying deposit too?) :

When and what you will need to collect your room keys:

Keys will be available from the residence manager on Friday 25th to Saturday 26th September, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. Thereafter halls of residence will be manned 24/7. Please contact your hall directly if you have any further questions about your arrival.. Please advise the residence manager if you intend arriving outside of these times. If your course starts before this date, please contact the Student Accommodation Service.
You will need to bring two passport sized photographs to collect your room key.
What next?
In order to complete your booking, you will need to:

Pay the £200 Deposit (this link will open in a new window). If you have already paid the Deposit for this accommodation booking you will not need to pay again.
Within the 48 hour offer period (this link will open in a new window) accept terms and conditions of accommodation and set up your accommodation fee payment plan.
Once the payment has been made, you will receive an acknowledgement email confirming the booking. You will have 48 hours from the date the email was sent to confirm your residency payment details online. The offer of accommodation will be withdrawn if payment arrangements for your residency fees are not made within this 48 hour offer period (this link will open in a new window).

Please have your bank details ready to proceed.

Please note it may take upto 24 hours for any payment to be reflected on our systems.
Original post by 04MR17

Oh and I would like to thank you for spending your time to actually get back to me, I really appreciate it :smile: Makes me feel less alone with all this stuff
I will respond to all of this later in the day :yep:
Haha I can't believe I pressed book 2 minutes before.
Oh sorry if this is a large request but could you reply to my questions or concerns relating to this problem in the next few days/ 2 weeks?

Also what you said that I could cancel it was what I wasn't very sure about (even if i loose 200 for deposit I don't care - as long as i can cancel and not end up paying a whole year for accomodation which i will never step foot on).
The website says this after I pressed book (does this link again to what you said but without paying deposit too?) :

When and what you will need to collect your room keys:

Keys will be available from the residence manager on Friday 25th to Saturday 26th September, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. Thereafter halls of residence will be manned 24/7. Please contact your hall directly if you have any further questions about your arrival.. Please advise the residence manager if you intend arriving outside of these times. If your course starts before this date, please contact the Student Accommodation Service.
You will need to bring two passport sized photographs to collect your room key.
What next?
In order to complete your booking, you will need to:

Pay the £200 Deposit (this link will open in a new window). If you have already paid the Deposit for this accommodation booking you will not need to pay again.
Within the 48 hour offer period (this link will open in a new window) accept terms and conditions of accommodation and set up your accommodation fee payment plan.
Once the payment has been made, you will receive an acknowledgement email confirming the booking. You will have 48 hours from the date the email was sent to confirm your residency payment details online. The offer of accommodation will be withdrawn if payment arrangements for your residency fees are not made within this 48 hour offer period (this link will open in a new window).

Please have your bank details ready to proceed.

Please note it may take upto 24 hours for any payment to be reflected on our systems.

Okay so I'm a little confused - what questions would you like me to help you with? :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
Okay so I'm a little confused - what questions would you like me to help you with? :smile:

Hi,
I think I was just trying to understand the info I posted better from my accommodation page. I now have until 10am tomorrow to pay for deposit unless it will be cancelled. Even If I was to go to Uni this year i would feel bad for leaving Religious Studies/Ethics/Philosophy. I wish there was a course that did RE, history and IR haha, i just put a lot of effort into Re/philosophy/ethics it was quite hard but rewarding - and I realise I didn't get bored as often as I did in History. I don't know I'm just a very indecisive person as you can probably tell. I know no one is going to make this decision for me, I'd just like some perspective i guess - if I was to go to History & International Relations I'd feel like I'm leaving a subject i like and have worked hard for.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi,
I think I was just trying to understand the info I posted better from my accommodation page. I now have until 10am tomorrow to pay for deposit unless it will be cancelled. Even If I was to go to Uni this year i would feel bad for leaving Religious Studies/Ethics/Philosophy. I wish there was a course that did RE, history and IR haha, i just put a lot of effort into Re/philosophy/ethics it was quite hard but rewarding - and I realise I didn't get bored as often as I did in History. I don't know I'm just a very indecisive person as you can probably tell. I know no one is going to make this decision for me, I'd just like some perspective i guess - if I was to go to History & International Relations I'd feel like I'm leaving a subject i like and have worked hard for.
These feelings are all very normal :smile:

The Big question is what sort of career are you hoping to go into?
Original post by 04MR17
These feelings are all very normal :smile:

The Big question is what sort of career are you hoping to go into?

I don't really know, I don't think I'd like to be a teacher though as they have to do way too much at home. I just don't want to get bored in my career , no matter how much I get paid if the job is bad then I'll hate it.
Also if I don't do my driving licence then when? - if I do my licence after uni I'll get hit with huge premiums (I had no intention to take car to uni as I would not be able to afford the insurance, I just wanted to pass and drive for a year so life is easier afterwards ).
I know I'd probably might get bit bored during gap year but it would make the 3 years at uni less stressful as I'd have more money saved up for food, going out etc and for a semester abroad as I hoped to do (from my calculations i will only have £22 a week for food and doing anything else) and maybe I'd make up my mind up a bit better on what I want to do.
I don't really know, I don't think I'd like to be a teacher though as they have to do way too much at home. I just don't want to get bored in my career , no matter how much I get paid if the job is bad then I'll hate it.
Also if I don't do my driving licence then when? - if I do my licence after uni I'll get hit with huge premiums (I had no intention to take car to uni as I would not be able to afford the insurance, I just wanted to pass and drive for a year so life is easier afterwards ).
I know I'd probably might get bit bored during gap year but it would make the 3 years at uni less stressful as I'd have more money saved up for food, going out etc and for a semester abroad as I hoped to do (from my calculations i will only have £22 a week for food and doing anything else) and maybe I'd make up my mind up a bit better on what I want to do.
The question you need to ask yourself is would your degree be important for the sort of jobs you might be interested in? If you wish to become an electrician, the answer is going to be no.

I'm not really sure what driving has to do with it. You can learn to drive at any time - including during your degree.

There are definitely advantages to taking a gap year, but you need to have some clear goals for things to do in the year before you choose to do it. You've got 45 mins to make the decision on deposits yes?
Spend 15 minutes writing a list of things you would do on a gap year, 10 mins writing a list of career areas you'd be interested in going into and give each of them a tick if a History and IR degree will help you get there.
Original post by 04MR17
The question you need to ask yourself is would your degree be important for the sort of jobs you might be interested in? If you wish to become an electrician, the answer is going to be no.

I'm not really sure what driving has to do with it. You can learn to drive at any time - including during your degree.

There are definitely advantages to taking a gap year, but you need to have some clear goals for things to do in the year before you choose to do it. You've got 45 mins to make the decision on deposits yes?
Spend 15 minutes writing a list of things you would do on a gap year, 10 mins writing a list of career areas you'd be interested in going into and give each of them a tick if a History and IR degree will help you get there.

Ok I will do that,
What I mean about driving is I just don't see myself being able to afford driving lessons at Uni - unless I get a alright job near Clifton NTU campus which may be a little difficult as its not in a great location.
Original post by 04MR17

Ok so i thought about it.

As of right now during gap year:
Car license + drive for a year.
Loose significant amount of weight
Earn Money for Gap Year and Uni
Figure out what I want to do
Go abroad for a few weeks or months abroad - likely travel related as I haven't seen my extended family properly for a few months now.

My Career areas are quite limited as I'm not sure but I've been thinking in these directions for past few weeks and months:
Psychology/Human behaviour - Not sure if His & IR give me enough transferable skills
History/IR/Terrorism, maybe working abroad in the States, Canada or something - yeah thinks links pretty well
RE/Humanitarian work/rights + equality - ethnicity, lgbt etc etc - possibly transferable skills, maybe don't even need a degree for this hehe
Ecology - Little transferable skills but I did do geography at A level (mostly disliked it but ecology made sense and related to world)

Sorry these are more subjects than careers

Quick Reply

Latest