The Student Room Group

Plate boundaires

Hi all
Quick question about plate boundaries. How come we dont need to know what happens at a divergent oceanic-continental? Is it because none of them exist?

Thanks!
Well you only need to know about divergent plates as a continental-continental divergent plate would have the exactly the same thing happen at a oceanic-continental divergent plate.
Eg a volcano
But when I done a level geography last year - I’m now studying geology at uni - the theory for tectonics was useless and no questions are ever asked on it - it’s all about development, governance etc the later topics in the chapter so don’t stress if you don’t understand all the theory behind it
Reply 2
Original post by Megaman101
Well you only need to know about divergent plates as a continental-continental divergent plate would have the exactly the same thing happen at a oceanic-continental divergent plate.
Eg a volcano
But when I done a level geography last year - I’m now studying geology at uni - the theory for tectonics was useless and no questions are ever asked on it - it’s all about development, governance etc the later topics in the chapter so don’t stress if you don’t understand all the theory behind it

Ok thanks. I was looking at a revision guide though and they don’t seem to have an example of this boundary.
Original post by Ovobor
Hi all
Quick question about plate boundaries. How come we dont need to know what happens at a divergent oceanic-continental? Is it because none of them exist?

Thanks!

I'm not aware of any that exist - divergent plate boundaries will tend to generate oceanic crust if they exist for a significant amount of time so it would be quite difficult to get an oceanic-continental divergent boundary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending