The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2020/21

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jg2012
You definitely should not only apply for just one.

There were folk last year who did this and they never had high enough scores for their chosen scheme but they had very high scores that would have allowed them on another scheme.

They ended up with nothing.

Use your 4 selections or as many as possible 🙂

I get that, but I genuinely wouldn't want to do any of the other streams. I'd rather do something else like a job or PhD. I've got a very specific career goal.
Original post by WorldofCrazies
I get that, but I genuinely wouldn't want to do any of the other streams. I'd rather do something else like a job or PhD. I've got a very specific career goal.

Right, that makes sense.

I suppose if that’s all you would want to do there isn’t any harm.

Good luck 🙂
hey guys, incoming fast streamer here happy to answer any questions you have and help where I can. Strap yourselves in for one hell of a ride :wink:
Reply 43
Original post by davidbrent101
hey guys, incoming fast streamer here happy to answer any questions you have and help where I can. Strap yourselves in for one hell of a ride :wink:

Hey :smile:

Do you know when there will be an update regarding if the fast stream is being delivered virtually for this years intake? I'm intrigued as to how that is going to work.

Thanks
Original post by lkate93
Hey :smile:

Do you know when there will be an update regarding if the fast stream is being delivered virtually for this years intake? I'm intrigued as to how that is going to work.

Thanks

we're starting remotely yes, I'm not sure when we will be going to offices but I am quite looking forward to it because I think starting remotely could be a bit more complicated
Reply 45
we're starting remotely yes, I'm not sure when we will be going to offices but I am quite looking forward to it because I think starting remotely could be a bit more complicated

I agree, I think you've probably been very complimentary using the term "complicated".

So you're starting remotely with the understanding that you will be moving into an office at some point? I just wonder if this is something they would put a time frame on for those who would need to relocate if successful.

It'll be interesting for sure. Which fast stream are you starting on if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by lkate93
I agree, I think you've probably been very complimentary using the term "complicated".

So you're starting remotely with the understanding that you will be moving into an office at some point? I just wonder if this is something they would put a time frame on for those who would need to relocate if successful.

It'll be interesting for sure. Which fast stream are you starting on if you don't mind me asking?

the general gist is that we have a location but we will start remote and at some point between now and the end of our 1 year initial placement we will end up in that office :smile: (fingers crossed anyway!). I'm on the economics stream

Hi, well done on getting onto the FS. Have you got one piece of advice you think we should keep in mind throughout the process?
Original post by 22001581
Hi, well done on getting onto the FS. Have you got one piece of advice you think we should keep in mind throughout the process?

thanks! the most important thing to keep in mind with any CS application is their success profiles. You can read more about them here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/717275/CS_Behaviours_2018.pdf

During the FS process they will explicitly state which profiles you're being tested against- I can't remember which ones they are but they will tell you. Keep them in mind during the process. This isn't like other graduate scheme applications where you have to prepare a wealth of examples for each possible competency to ever exist and try to come across as this incredibly impressive person. In fact, the only 'interview' is the video interview (some FSB may have interviews too i'm not sure, mine didn't). They want talented individuals yes of course but from what I gather, more than anything, they want people who understand the ethos of the civil service and won't rock the boat. People who are flexible and can deliver on high-stress projects in a short period of time. This is what you'll be doing as a fast streamer. This means do not be super dominating in the FSAC group exercise for instance, that indicates you will be a bad team player within the CS. My group exercise was an absolute mess with people arguing and such, if you stay diplomatic in that situation all the better for your marks. Always stay calm and keep the profiles in mind! Do not release a tirade of verbal diarrhea about how great you are and all the things you've done. Basically, don't be a prat. Personality goes a very long way in this application, hence the several rounds of testing. Some will argue it's flooded with arrogant Whitehall public school types and so good personality can't be that important- this wasn't my experience. Everyone I met at the FSAC was unbelievably down to earth, including the assessors. I went to a state school and didn't go to oxbridge, the same for my 3 mates who also got a place on the scheme. So if you're in the same boat, do not be discouraged.

I would advise using all of your 4 choices when applying. I got knocked out of 3 of mine at the very first round haha. So had I not put down my fourth (even though it was the one I wanted most) I would be in a different position. Think carefully about the order as I don't think it's changeable after (may be wrong though). If you're applying for diplomatic services don't get discouraged if you fail, the numbers are unbelievable for this scheme. 10s of thousands apply for it with i think only around 40 places (maybe even less now due to the merger of FCO and DFID).

My last tip would be, especially for the first two rounds of online testing, do not overthink it. When I did them I didn't do any prep as I thought I wanted to do a masters this year anyway so had nothing to lose. People who spend hours on them overthinking it often end up panicking and choosing weird answers and failing. Just keep a level head and think 'what would a good, well-rounded civil servant do in this situation?' but not to the point of picking answers that are so unnatural for you and ending up with a strange combination of personality traits. Keep the CS in mind, but stay natural. I would argue the only stages you can prepare for are the VI and the FSB (if you have one). IMO, trying to source loads and loads of similar practice tests is a waste of time. Spend some of that time reading up on the civil service, but most of it applying to other jobs to hedge your bets. Of ~30 grad schemes I applied to in my final year this is the only one I got offered so it's crucial to not have all your eggs in one basket. For the VI think about examples of where you have demonstrated the CS success profiles in real life. For the FSB, they will tell you all you need to prepare. When people get round to FSACs I am happy to write another detailed post giving all the tips I can think of from my experience.

Sorry if this went on way too long, i'm terrible at concise writing. Best of luck, it's a long process but unbelievably rewarding if you make it to the end. I look forward to hearing how you get on :smile:
thanks! the most important thing to keep in mind with any CS application is their success profiles. You can read more about them here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/717275/CS_Behaviours_2018.pdf

During the FS process they will explicitly state which profiles you're being tested against- I can't remember which ones they are but they will tell you. Keep them in mind during the process. This isn't like other graduate scheme applications where you have to prepare a wealth of examples for each possible competency to ever exist and try to come across as this incredibly impressive person. In fact, the only 'interview' is the video interview (some FSB may have interviews too i'm not sure, mine didn't). They want talented individuals yes of course but from what I gather, more than anything, they want people who understand the ethos of the civil service and won't rock the boat. People who are flexible and can deliver on high-stress projects in a short period of time. This is what you'll be doing as a fast streamer. This means do not be super dominating in the FSAC group exercise for instance, that indicates you will be a bad team player within the CS. My group exercise was an absolute mess with people arguing and such, if you stay diplomatic in that situation all the better for your marks. Always stay calm and keep the profiles in mind! Do not release a tirade of verbal diarrhea about how great you are and all the things you've done. Basically, don't be a prat. Personality goes a very long way in this application, hence the several rounds of testing. Some will argue it's flooded with arrogant Whitehall public school types and so good personality can't be that important- this wasn't my experience. Everyone I met at the FSAC was unbelievably down to earth, including the assessors. I went to a state school and didn't go to oxbridge, the same for my 3 mates who also got a place on the scheme. So if you're in the same boat, do not be discouraged.

I would advise using all of your 4 choices when applying. I got knocked out of 3 of mine at the very first round haha. So had I not put down my fourth (even though it was the one I wanted most) I would be in a different position. Think carefully about the order as I don't think it's changeable after (may be wrong though). If you're applying for diplomatic services don't get discouraged if you fail, the numbers are unbelievable for this scheme. 10s of thousands apply for it with i think only around 40 places (maybe even less now due to the merger of FCO and DFID).

My last tip would be, especially for the first two rounds of online testing, do not overthink it. When I did them I didn't do any prep as I thought I wanted to do a masters this year anyway so had nothing to lose. People who spend hours on them overthinking it often end up panicking and choosing weird answers and failing. Just keep a level head and think 'what would a good, well-rounded civil servant do in this situation?' but not to the point of picking answers that are so unnatural for you and ending up with a strange combination of personality traits. Keep the CS in mind, but stay natural. I would argue the only stages you can prepare for are the VI and the FSB (if you have one). IMO, trying to source loads and loads of similar practice tests is a waste of time. Spend some of that time reading up on the civil service, but most of it applying to other jobs to hedge your bets. Of ~30 grad schemes I applied to in my final year this is the only one I got offered so it's crucial to not have all your eggs in one basket. For the VI think about examples of where you have demonstrated the CS success profiles in real life. For the FSB, they will tell you all you need to prepare. When people get round to FSACs I am happy to write another detailed post giving all the tips I can think of from my experience.

Sorry if this went on way too long, i'm terrible at concise writing. Best of luck, it's a long process but unbelievably rewarding if you make it to the end. I look forward to hearing how you get on :smile:

Thank you so much, this is so helpful. The more information the better for us who have never been through the process before. I compeleted the SDIP over the summer and will hopefully be fast-tracked to the AC, so would appreciate tips for that closer to the time. Thanks again :smile:.
Original post by 22001581
Thank you so much, this is so helpful. The more information the better for us who have never been through the process before. I compeleted the SDIP over the summer and will hopefully be fast-tracked to the AC, so would appreciate tips for that closer to the time. Thanks again :smile:.

youre very welcome. Big congrats on the SDIP! thats a fantastic start to entering the FS, use everything you've learned there to smash the FSAC.
Reply 51
Hey everyone,
I'm looking to apply for the diplomatic and generalist roles when the applications open. But has anyone noticed they updated the website?! And applications open on the 24th September according to this https://www.faststream.gov.uk/

They've changed the diplomat programme for 2020, and development and diplomacy are now merged into one. But the description of this scheme is just major question marks and a lot of 'we dont really know about the 2020 applicants. You guys might just be guinea pigs for the 2021 lot, we'll see". Im just hoping they have a plan for that programme by next year :doh:
This is very random but I am 25 in a couple of weeks and I want to be getting into a career now. I'm desperately trying to move out. I haven't applied for the fast stream before so I am worried about not passing. I need to be thinking about my back up if this does happen and I was hoping someone could help me there. If I do a PCSE would I be able to do that while I'm applying for the fast stream? Teaching is really not a bad second choice for me as I do love it.

I really hope this all makes sense!
Hi guys! Good luck with your upcoming applications. I successfully applied last year for the Social Research Stream. I've deferred my place so I'll be starting next September after completing my Masters :smile:
Original post by Poppy-Ann
Hi guys! Good luck with your upcoming applications. I successfully applied last year for the Social Research Stream. I've deferred my place so I'll be starting next September after completing my Masters :smile:

Hi, congrats for getting through, I know it is a difficult process. How did you find the FS application process?
Reply 55
For anyone with previous experience of FS.... Are you told the questions in advance to prepare? Or at least the behaviours being assessed at interview?
Reply 56
Which assessment day test pack are you using? I've tried to find a website to download practice tests, but there are so many I don't know which is the best
Reply 57
Also, is there an e-tray this year or has the application process changed?
Reply 58
Does anyone know when the applications close for the fast stream this year?
Original post by nj4es
For anyone with previous experience of FS.... Are you told the questions in advance to prepare? Or at least the behaviours being assessed at interview?

"What criteria will I be assessed on during the Video Interview?

The interview focuses on a range of ‘strengths’ - relating to things you find energising and motivating.

Key strengths we ask about are (think about when you’ve demonstrated these):

Adaptable - You can adapt to variations in work or environment and your effectiveness isn’t impacted by change. You are flexible and versatile and act as an advocate for change.
Enabler - You see the potential in everybody and encourage them to learn, progress and develop.
Inclusive - You recognise everyone as an individual, accepting people for who they are and treating everyone fairly. You actively encourage and provide opportunities for others to share ideas and contributions.
Improver - You look for better ways of doing things and enjoy coming up with new and original ideas.
Learner - You are inquisitive, you seek out new information and look for new ways to develop yourself.
Relationship Builder - You quickly establish mutual respect and trust, building long lasting relationships with others.
Resilient - You have inner composure, recover quickly from setbacks and learn from them.
Responsible - You take ownership for your decisions and hold yourself accountable for what you have promised to deliver."

This is all you need, you're not told the questions in advance. Source: https://www.faststream.gov.uk/how-to-apply/index.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending