The Student Room Group

Intergration (by parts/substitution - Can I do it?

The integral of x^2 2 sec^2 x tan x dx . I have done one lesson of integration techniques and I am stuck on this, wondering if you need substitution method. I am yet to cover this! Many Thanks.
Yes, a product of a polynomial and a trigonometric function should be amenable to IBP.

You should also be able to use the fact that the derivative of tan x is sec^2 x.

Given standard formulae, you shouldn't need to use substitution.
Reply 2
Original post by Justvisited
Yes, a product of a polynomial and a trigonometric function should be amenable to IBP.

You should also be able to use the fact that the derivative of tan x is sec^2 x.

Given standard formulae, you shouldn't need to use substitution.

Hmmm ok I have not been taught how tan x being derivative of sec ^2x will help me here, is it obvious?
Original post by tande33
Hmmm ok I have not been taught how tan x being derivative of sec ^2x will help me here, is it obvious?

Under the integral sign you got

sec^2(x) tan(x) dx

If we transform to the u variable, then we have

sec^2(x) tan(x) dx/du du

and if we look at sec^2(x)tan(x), then we have

d(tan x)/dx tan(x) dx/du du

Notice that d(tanx)/dx * dx/du can be cancelled down to a constant if we impose that u=tanx.

Thus the stuff under the integral sign reduces to

tan(x) du

I.e.

u du

So this is why it is useful to notice that sec^2 is derivative of tan. Generally, if you are integrating f'(x)f(x) you can sub in u=f(x) to see that it will help.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Ah ok thanks, I think I get that. This is likely something I will cover in class right?
Original post by tande33
Ah ok thanks, I think I get that. This is likely something I will cover in class right?

Substitution? Of course. Alongside IBP it is a fundamental integration technique, and not at all obvious in some cases.
Reply 6
Original post by RDKGames
Substitution? Of course. Alongside IBP it is a fundamental integration technique, and not at all obvious in some cases.

great thanks again!
No need for substitution - more to the point to know the chain rule, and hence working backwards to see that integrating f'(x) f(x) gives you 1/2 (f(x))^2
Reply 8
Original post by Justvisited
No need for substitution - more to the point to know the chain rule, and hence working backwards to see that integrating f'(x) f(x) gives you 1/2 (f(x))^2

hmmm ok, I don't quite understand how that helps though apart from that I can find v?
Original post by tande33
hmmm ok, I don't quite understand how that helps though apart from that I can find v?

sec^2(x) tan(x) is of the form f'(x)f(x) so it will integrate into 1/2[f(x)]^2 i.e. 1/2 tan^2(x).

I think this chain rule is what often flies over students heads to begin with ... Easy to forget that integration is just going the other way.
Reply 10
Would this work the same way with tan^2xsec^7xdx?

Quick Reply

Latest