Want more information about this university?

I'm a Uni Kent Postgrad (MA, PhD)...Ask me anything!

Watch
Postgrad Rep Shelly
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey! I'm an international student (American). I did my MA at Kent (Medieval and Early Modern Studies) and I'm currently going into my 3rd year of the MEMS PhD. I lived in Woolf during my MA and I've lived in town ever since. I was also the Postgrad President for a couple of years, so I know the ins and outs of events, grad school, workshops, etc. Ask me anything!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Postgrad Rep Shelly)
Hey! I'm an international student (American). I did my MA at Kent (Medieval and Early Modern Studies) and I'm currently going into my 3rd year of the MEMS PhD. I lived in Woolf during my MA and I've lived in town ever since. I was also the Postgrad President for a couple of years, so I know the ins and outs of events, grad school, workshops, etc. Ask me anything!
What do u want be when ur older
Postgrad Rep Shelly
Rep:
?
Good question! I don't even think I have answer to this...I used to be a high school teacher, and I loved it. So maybe that. But I'm realizing that the research and writing skills from the PhD could help me do what my dream job, which is writing books! I think I could write some really good history or historical fiction stuff
jokris9907
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I'm an international student as well, about to start my masters in actuarial science this September! I'm really excited, but i'm a bit nervous about making friends as i'm quite shy as a person. Do you have any tips for that? like societies and events you'd recommend?
Also how are the Darwin Houses as accomodation? i've never lived in a house type setup before, so any tips on that would be greatly appreciated as well!
Thanks
Postgrad Rep Shelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by jokris9907)
Hi! I'm an international student as well, about to start my masters in actuarial science this September! I'm really excited, but i'm a bit nervous about making friends as i'm quite shy as a person. Do you have any tips for that? like societies and events you'd recommend?
Also how are the Darwin Houses as accomodation? i've never lived in a house type setup before, so any tips on that would be greatly appreciated as well!
Thanks
I'm so excited for you! As far as making friends, be sure that you join the private postgrad group on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/kentpostgrads20202021). There are a bunch of events being planned for Postgrad Welcome Week, and they're starting to put them up now so that people can join. Most people make great friends during these events, so definitely check them out. When it comes to societies, you might want to consider getting involved in the Kent Graduate Student Association (KGSA); that's the group that runs the postgrad events, and being an officer means that you meet loads of people (I did it for 3 years!). I haven't actually been in Darwin Houses before, but they have a great location on campus. Origins bar and restaurant is in the same complex and IT'S AMAZING! I'm assuming that you're sharing a kitchen, so try to get some schedules going for when/who takes out the rubbish. Also, you'll have to sort out who gets what space in the fridge and all that...but that's not too hard. A lot of students make friends with their housemates/flatmates right away. Other than that, I'd say try to push yourself out of your comfort zone a bit. You'll definitely make friends on your course, but, in your first few weeks, try to join other new students as they go into town to do shopping or see the sights. Remember that they're all new and in the same boat, so they'll be just as eager to and nervous about making friends!
jokris9907
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm so excited for you! As far as making friends, be sure that you join the private postgrad group on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/kentpostgrads20202021). There are a bunch of events being planned for Postgrad Welcome Week, and they're starting to put them up now so that people can join. Most people make great friends during these events, so definitely check them out. When it comes to societies, you might want to consider getting involved in the Kent Graduate Student Association (KGSA); that's the group that runs the postgrad events, and being an officer means that you meet loads of people (I did it for 3 years!). I haven't actually been in Darwin Houses before, but they have a great location on campus. Origins bar and restaurant is in the same complex and IT'S AMAZING! I'm assuming that you're sharing a kitchen, so try to get some schedules going for when/who takes out the rubbish. Also, you'll have to sort out who gets what space in the fridge and all that...but that's not too hard. A lot of students make friends with their housemates/flatmates right away. Other than that, I'd say try to push yourself out of your comfort zone a bit. You'll definitely make friends on your course, but, in your first few weeks, try to join other new students as they go into town to do shopping or see the sights. Remember that they're all new and in the same boat, so they'll be just as eager to and nervous about making friends!
Alright, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
16.04%
I'm not sure (8)
2.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.13%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.37%
I'm not a current university student (134)
45.73%

Watched Threads