The Student Room Group

How can I improve and also feel better?

Hey everyone!

So I started a-level biology and I’m on my second week now. I’ve really been enjoying it and haven’t struggled in class however we just had a 10 min end of topic test with 5 questions on it and I only got 3/9. I feel horrible and am really upset with my self, I feel useless because everyone else got at least higher than me in class. I revised for around 5 hours for this quiz which was meant to be on eukaryotic cells however the teacher decided to add 2 questions on maths in microscopy, I’m not very good at unit conversion but I have learnt it now and will practise. The teacher also said that he added a question that he had forgot to teach in class. However, I know it is my fault for my poor mark and I feel very discouraged and stupid compared to my classmates. What can I do to improve on these types of quizzes, although I have a pretty good idea. I think what I want to ask most importantly is how I can stop being so self critical and telling myself I’m an idiot :frown:

Thank you
I got an 8 in biology and I’m doing a level biology and we did a test and I only got 10/23. it’s normal to get quite a low score because youre brain probably hasn’t been working this hard since March.
Original post by EDeHavas
Hey everyone!

So I started a-level biology and I’m on my second week now. I’ve really been enjoying it and haven’t struggled in class however we just had a 10 min end of topic test with 5 questions on it and I only got 3/9. I feel horrible and am really upset with my self, I feel useless because everyone else got at least higher than me in class. I revised for around 5 hours for this quiz which was meant to be on eukaryotic cells however the teacher decided to add 2 questions on maths in microscopy, I’m not very good at unit conversion but I have learnt it now and will practise. The teacher also said that he added a question that he had forgot to teach in class. However, I know it is my fault for my poor mark and I feel very discouraged and stupid compared to my classmates. What can I do to improve on these types of quizzes, although I have a pretty good idea. I think what I want to ask most importantly is how I can stop being so self critical and telling myself I’m an idiot :frown:

Thank you

starting a whole new qualification which is higher than gcses is bound to be different and you're only in the first week :smile: dont be so hard on yourself you just need time to adjust xx
Reply 3
Original post by pazzarazza
I got an 8 in biology and I’m doing a level biology and we did a test and I only got 10/23. it’s normal to get quite a low score because youre brain probably hasn’t been working this hard since March.

Thank you, it makes me feel better to know I’m not the only one who experienced this :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by yourlocalwasian
starting a whole new qualification which is higher than gcses is bound to be different and you're only in the first week :smile: dont be so hard on yourself you just need time to adjust xx

Thank you so much, it made me feel better to hear this :smile: xx
Original post by EDeHavas
Thank you so much, it made me feel better to hear this :smile: xx

youll probably do really well <3but a level is such a big gap from gcses i expect so many more people across the subjects feel the samexx
Reply 6
Original post by yourlocalwasian
youll probably do really well <3but a level is such a big gap from gcses i expect so many more people across the subjects feel the samexx

Thank you, I really hope that I will get better xx and thanks so much for the advice :smile: I really appreciate it
Reply 7
I got an E in a mock 4 weeks before the actual A levels Bio exams lol. Ended up with a B which is alright, so don't worry about a little test. Long journey ahead.
Reply 8
Original post by Nuttyy
I got an E in a mock 4 weeks before the actual A levels Bio exams lol. Ended up with a B which is alright, so don't worry about a little test. Long journey ahead.

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest