The Student Room Group

Advice for English Literature A-level AQA

Heyyyy,

I’m in year 12 and I’ve started studying English literature! I really enjoy the subject however everyone else in my class is so smart and their ideas are so good and it’s made me realise my thoughts and ideas aren’t good at all. It’s kind of stressful because id really like to do well but my essays aren’t great and I waffle loads and I’m awful at analysing quotes with techniques etc.

Does anyone have any advice for me and how I can improve because I don’t have any confidence in sharing my ideas because i know that compared to everyone else, they suck aha

Hi, im in year 13 and im also doing english literature
honestly dont worry, your grades for literature will go down and then up, my grades were crap at the start but its now really good
its not that your ideas arent great, there are no wrong or right answer for english, its your on opinon as long as you can justify it its fine!!!!
you dont need to always share your ideas to the whole class but you can with your teachers
my advice will be to go further with your reading, look at critics and more about the books/poems/author
also jump from gcse to a-level is very big, so its okay if you dont understand or if your waffling
its gonna take time to get use to but i know your gonna be fine
extra reading outside the book will defiently help you also make sure you read ahead so you will get a better understanding of the novel
essays-i will have to say to ask your teacher for a structure, the only way to be a master at essay writing is only by praticing so take your time and always give it to ur teacher to mark
dont stress too much! good luck
Original post by Studyuuuutime
Hi, im in year 13 and im also doing english literature
honestly dont worry, your grades for literature will go down and then up, my grades were crap at the start but its now really good
its not that your ideas arent great, there are no wrong or right answer for english, its your on opinon as long as you can justify it its fine!!!!
you dont need to always share your ideas to the whole class but you can with your teachers
my advice will be to go further with your reading, look at critics and more about the books/poems/author
also jump from gcse to a-level is very big, so its okay if you dont understand or if your waffling
its gonna take time to get use to but i know your gonna be fine
extra reading outside the book will defiently help you also make sure you read ahead so you will get a better understanding of the novel
essays-i will have to say to ask your teacher for a structure, the only way to be a master at essay writing is only by praticing so take your time and always give it to ur teacher to mark
dont stress too much! good luck

Thank you so much!! What texts are you studying?

I think it’s just because the ideas that people are sharing are amazing and mine don’t compare to theirs one bit so it’s just stressed me out a bit :/
Original post by Year11Student:)
Thank you so much!! What texts are you studying?

I think it’s just because the ideas that people are sharing are amazing and mine don’t compare to theirs one bit so it’s just stressed me out a bit :/

your welcome!
Im studying Great Gatsby, Othello, The awakening
The turn of the screw (coursework) , color purple and a streetcar named desire
I'm in year 13 and doing English, and please don't get too stressed about this!! I was COMPLETELY overwhelmed when I started my A-Levels and def felt that everyone was way smarter than me and that I would never *get* it. But I think everyone's the same here, and if you enjoy English like you say you do, and are willing to put in the work, it will be fine, and I'm sure it will all click! If you're feeling less confident with sharing ideas, it is totally fine to stay quiet for the first bit, I'm sure the teachers know how overwhelming the jump between gcse and a-level can be, and would understand - but besides, I bet your ideas are just as good everyone elses, but if you're worried, try to develop them further using context and evidence? Good luck! :smile:
Original post by lovelylemon
I'm in year 13 and doing English, and please don't get too stressed about this!! I was COMPLETELY overwhelmed when I started my A-Levels and def felt that everyone was way smarter than me and that I would never *get* it. But I think everyone's the same here, and if you enjoy English like you say you do, and are willing to put in the work, it will be fine, and I'm sure it will all click! If you're feeling less confident with sharing ideas, it is totally fine to stay quiet for the first bit, I'm sure the teachers know how overwhelming the jump between gcse and a-level can be, and would understand - but besides, I bet your ideas are just as good everyone elses, but if you're worried, try to develop them further using context and evidence? Good luck! :smile:

Thank you for the advice, this is really helpful to know :smile:))
Thank you for the advice, this is really helpful to know :smile:))

No problem and good luck with your A-Levels! :smile:
Original post by Studyuuuutime
your welcome!
Im studying Great Gatsby, Othello, The awakening
The turn of the screw (coursework) , color purple and a streetcar named desire

Good luck with your alevels :smile:
Original post by lovelylemon
No problem and good luck with your A-Levels! :smile:

Thanks, good luck too :smile:
Thanks, good luck too :smile:

Thank you!