The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

UCL comp science or LSE Accouting and finance

Hi
I am currently confused whether i should apply to uni for accounting and finance or computer science.
I know they are two completely different degrees but they both have good prospects.
the only reason i am confused is that i aim to work in an IB but the only unis i would consider going to for A&F are LSE and Kings/maybe warwick?(These are the only high unis from my perspective i'm not saying other unis are bad but i wouldn't consider going to other ones for A&F)
I dont want to put all my hopes in LSE and so that is the though behind my second option.
I can potentially apply for Oxford, UCL,ICL and kings for computer science but i would only be doing this for the sake of hopefully getting into an IB as they are driven by prestige of unis and not really the course, i do not want to have a career in programming and software
development.
I want to have a job in finance but dont want to put all hopes in LSE so any advice would be appreciated.
For background:
GCSE:8 grade 9, 2 grade 8
A level choices:Maths, comp sci and chemistry
(Predicted is 2 A* and 1A respectively.)
Original post by JJohn456
Hi
I am currently confused whether i should apply to uni for accounting and finance or computer science.
I know they are two completely different degrees but they both have good prospects.
the only reason i am confused is that i aim to work in an IB but the only unis i would consider going to for A&F are LSE and Kings/maybe warwick?(These are the only high unis from my perspective i'm not saying other unis are bad but i wouldn't consider going to other ones for A&F)
I dont want to put all my hopes in LSE and so that is the though behind my second option.
I can potentially apply for Oxford, UCL,ICL and kings for computer science but i would only be doing this for the sake of hopefully getting into an IB as they are driven by prestige of unis and not really the course, i do not want to have a career in programming and software
development.
I want to have a job in finance but dont want to put all hopes in LSE so any advice would be appreciated.
For background:
GCSE:8 grade 9, 2 grade 8
A level choices:Maths, comp sci and chemistry
(Predicted is 2 A* and 1A respectively.)

Honestly you should pick something you really enjoy doing. Computer Science is an amazing subject and we are in a tech word after all! If you ever consider being an accounting, I know from personal experience that you don't need an A&F degree for it.
I would recommend comp science as it is a rapid growing industry with so many opportunities but it is up to you
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
thanks for your advice!
Reply 3
random but we got the same gcse results lol
Go with what you want to do. Which accounting and finance. Compsci you’re only picking for prestige.

Go with acc and finance, and chose one of those unis Warwick kings or LSE for application and just hope for the best.
Reply 5
Yh that's what I made my mind up to do.
thanks for your help though
you will have a hard time getting through a CS degree if you have little interest in programming and software development.
Reply 7
yh that's what the majority of people told me aswell but I do believe I'm fairly good at programming
probably a better decision just to stick with a&f and hope to get into lse
Reply 8
lol m.s124
what courses are you applying to at which unis?
Reply 9
lol m.s124
what courses are you applying to at which unis?

im applying for economics at lse, ucl, kcl, warwick and bath (but some of these unis may change)
I haven't really been focusing on ucas stuff bc I have mocks coming up :frown:
Reply 10
yh same
just out of curiosity are your doing further maths at a level or not?
cuz that's what swayed me away from applying to Econ
Reply 11
yh same
just out of curiosity are your doing further maths at a level or not?
cuz that's what swayed me away from applying to Econ

yh I'm taking furthermaths a level
im still deciding whether to drop it as I am still taking four a levels and want to drop one lol
Reply 12
what other a levels are u doing
Reply 13
what other a levels are u doing

maths fm physics and econ
Reply 14
honestly I think you should stick with all of those, seem like they are pretty solid to me
unis always don't even care what you get in the fourth a level so offers are usually a*aee
Have you considered econ?
Reply 16
honestly I think you should stick with all of those, seem like they are pretty solid to me
unis always don't even care what you get in the fourth a level so offers are usually a*aee

hmm I see where you're coming from
I'll see what I get in my mocks and then decide
Thank you! And good luck!!
Reply 17
@anonymous I did for a bit and then I realised I didn't do further maths and so I'd be at a serious disadvantage, that's why I chose a&f
Reply 18
m.s124 Thanks and good luck to u too :smile:
@anonymous I did for a bit and then I realised I didn't do further maths and so I'd be at a serious disadvantage, that's why I chose a&f

Ohh sorry I thought you were the other poster who said they did fm

Quick Reply

Latest