The Student Room Group

Should I get cgp revision guide or student book?

I need to get a revision guide and a textbook but they’re quite expensive so should I get the cgp revision guide or student book because the student book’s content is quite similar to its revision guide.
For a level I have both the revision guide and the textbook, both cgp. Honestly buy the revision guide since I haven’t found the textbook to have any extra info in it.. they’re (textbooks) still in the box they were delivered in, unused..kinda a waste of money tbh
Reply 2
Original post by XHannahR
For a level I have both the revision guide and the textbook, both cgp. Honestly buy the revision guide since I haven’t found the textbook to have any extra info in it.. they’re (textbooks) still in the box they were delivered in, unused..kinda a waste of money tbh

Sorry I meant for GCSE but thank you anyway :smile:
Original post by abc10123
Sorry I meant for GCSE but thank you anyway :smile:

Ah my apologies! For GCSEs I didn’t buy any revision guides..I used all the resources I had to make my own notes ah! All the best of luck!
(Some good YouTube channels that you may want to check out for gcse include freesciencelessons, mrbruff and corbetmaths! )
I'm not sure what others do but what worked for me was that I bought the student books. The reason for this was that since the student books are written by the exam board themselves you get better guidance. For example, hints will be given, extra information will be given to help you understand the topic etc.
As for revision I would say taking out the main points from the book and making personal notes. I also brought practice question books (to reinforce learning) from CGP.
For gcse I just used cgp revision guides
Original post by abc10123
I need to get a revision guide and a textbook but they’re quite expensive so should I get the cgp revision guide or student book because the student book’s content is quite similar to its revision guide.

Hey @abc10123

I found the revision guides to be really useful at GCSE and used those along with my class notes to revise from!

I hope this helps
Eloise - official student rep
Reply 7
Personally the guides were not helpful at all for me. The pages were way too cluttered and it was just overwhelming and kinda patronising for a 16 year old...

Though I do know some people who did well off of them, so don’t feel you shouldn’t. But I was much happier making my own notes
If I'm not too late, I have a few cgp revision guides if you need them for science and i might have others too
Theyre triple science ones...
Original post by Zahra166
If I'm not too late, I have a few cgp revision guides if you need them for science and i might have others too
Theyre triple science ones...

This isn’t eBay
For GCSEs, I just used CGP revision guides and did many past papers. For extra help, YouTube vids.
This was enough to get my A grades.
Original post by Dexter345
This isn’t eBay

i assumed the person in question must have decided on whats best for them by now, and if they needed extra help regarding access to the guides, i offered. So, there was really no need to state the obvious, Sherlock! :smile:
Original post by Zahra166
i assumed the person in question must have decided on whats best for them by now, and if they needed extra help regarding access to the guides, i offered. So, there was really no need to state the obvious, Sherlock! :smile:

No need to cry
Original post by Dexter345
No need to cry

LOL!

Quick Reply

Latest