The Student Room Group

Can a relationship last without sex?

Scroll to see replies

yes.
Sometimes.
It depends on the people involved, their dealbreakers and expectations of a relationship.
Their sex drive, attraction preferences and how compatible they are with each other.
I personally believe it can, but it really depends on the other person's opinion and expectations. If I may ask, are you asexual or is it just something you aren't ready for? Your answer could also affect the outcome of the relationship due to the fact you either don't want to be sexual now or ever. Either way, this is something that would need to be discussed with your s/o.
Reply 4
Original post by jellybellyb
I personally believe it can, but it really depends on the other person's opinion and expectations. If I may ask, are you asexual or is it just something you aren't ready for? Your answer could also affect the outcome of the relationship due to the fact you either don't want to be sexual now or ever. Either way, this is something that would need to be discussed with your s/o.

I don’t know what I am, I want it and think about it but when I get to it I’m not interested or it hurts. And we’ve discussed it all he’s understanding
Original post by Anonymous
I don’t know what I am, I want it and think about it but when I get to it I’m not interested or it hurts. And we’ve discussed it all he’s understanding

Well, if you think about it and it is something you want to do, then I don't believe you are asexual (but it can always change later). If you have discussed it and he is understanding then I think you should be fine. On the other hand, the reason you want sex but when it comes to it you are uninterested, may be because either it's not the right time, or you may not even be sexually attracted to whomever it is.
Tbh I wouldn't date anyone I'm not sleeping with.

Time wasters
In general, not in the long-term.
Definitely, though it highly depends.
(edited 3 years ago)
If both parties are happy without then yes. If one or other is not then eventually something will have to change-whether that’s a break up or an affair or a change in the relationship to being open... but for some people yes it can, for others no it can’t.

did you forget that asexuals exist and have/want relationships? seeing asexual erasure again and again makes me want to cry. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
No, unless the individuals involved are asexual.
Reply 12
Original post by fake_abs
did you forget that asexuals exist and have/want relationships? seeing asexual erasure again and again makes me want to cry. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's not that deep.
Original post by hajima
It's not that deep.

it might not be but they are people, and it should be mainstream to understand that asexuals exist and relationships don't rely on sex
Reply 14
Original post by fake_abs
it might not be but they are people, and it should be mainstream to understand that asexuals exist and relationships don't rely on sex

I don't think OP was asking about asexual people.
Reply 15
Original post by zetasigma
No child is born homophobic.
I'm sorry for the trauma you must've endured to make you feel this way about those who identify as gay/lesbian.

We are all entitled to our opinions. We are not, however, entitled to bullying, harrassing, and vocalising demeaning statements towards another human. I hope one day you can see how wrong it is that you've posted that comment.

I hope one day you will recognise a troll when you see one.
Reply 16

Of course it can! I'm personally just fine with cuddles and laughter :3 Life isn't all about sex, and I see why some people (asexuals) don't like sex. Emotional support is far more important in a relationship and as long as you have that, you're good.
Original post by hajima
I hope one day you will recognise a troll when you see one.

Irrelevant. I posted that because they tagged somebody. It's a specific hate comment with a target. That upsets me, and I cannot just click away without speaking up.
Reply 18
Original post by zetasigma
Irrelevant. I posted that because they tagged somebody. It's a specific hate comment with a target. That upsets me, and I cannot just click away without speaking up.

You don't know what a troll is, it's very relevant.

EDIT: now they are responding to you because you gave them a reaction, see now?

When you say it hurts, can it also be like a burning sort of sensation? And is it just certain things, or is it like, even a finger or two hurts/burns?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending