The Student Room Group

why do we hold so much value to oxbridge

why do i believe my career will be over before it has even started if i dont go to oxbridge? who told us that to place our self worth and value upon an institution? surely going to lse/ucl is just as good as oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by desert_fairy
why do i believe my career will be over before it has even started if i dont go to oxbridge? who told us that to place our self worth and value upon an institution? surely going to lse/ucl is just as good as oxford?

ive heard after after a year or two of work experience, nobody cares where u went for ur degree.

Just get a first and you will be fine.

Me for example, the only thing that attracts me to oxbridge is maybe ill make some smart friends with similar mindsets who I might keep with me for the rest of my life, or even meet my future wife...
i dont think thats true because if you have two candidates for the same job lets say LSE and oxford surely you would be more inclined to give the one from oxf the job?

Original post by The Torrent
ive heard after after a year or two of work experience, nobody cares where u went for ur degree.

Just get a first and you will be fine.

Me for example, the only thing that attracts me to oxbridge is maybe ill make some smart friends with similar mindsets who I might keep with me for the rest of my life, or even meet my future wife...
If you take any look at history you'll see that tradition is valued in every culture and so are the organisations that are a part of it. Many PM's have studied in Oxbridge and other notable people with a lot of power. If you think you have no chance at a career because you didnt go to Oxbridge you need to take a good look at yourself in the mirror and be realistic.
i dont think thats true because if you have two candidates for the same job lets say LSE and oxford surely you would be more inclined to give the one from oxf the job?

That's not how graduate recruitment works. The uni you go to and your degree classification is assessed but so is your character, abilities and enrichment. Someone with a ton of experience and connections from Queen Mary's can easily be chosen over someone who went to Oxbridge and that's all they have to show for themselves.
Original post by futurelawtrainee
If you take any look at history you'll see that tradition is valued in every culture and so are the organisations that are a part of it. Many PM's have studied in Oxbridge and other notable people with a lot of power. If you think you have no chance at a career because you didnt go to Oxbridge you need to take a good look at yourself in the mirror and be realistic.

aside from the fact that i really dont want to listen to someone with a bojo avi, i know i have a chance at a successful career with or without oxbridge, its the fact that there is an element of elitism to these universities that draws me in

Notice i said after a few years of work experience.

I have no advanced knowledge on this ofcourse, but I assume if one guy got a chance to work at microsoft or some other high end firm for whatever for a year and the other guy worked at a random small agency down the road, they aint gonna give a f where ur degree is from and provided they both got firsts, they will throw the job at the microsoft guy.
aside from the fact that i really dont want to listen to someone with a bojo avi, i know i have a chance at a successful career with or without oxbridge, its the fact that there is an element of elitism to these universities that draws me in

I don't support bojo so what now? The elitism of Oxbridge drew me in and is what put me off as well but its your choice at first and then its down to who accepts you. Why not apply if you want to go there.
That's not how graduate recruitment works. The uni you go to and your degree classification is assessed but so is your character, abilities and enrichment. Someone with a ton of experience and connections from Queen Mary's can easily be chosen over someone who went to Oxbridge and that's all they have to show for themselves.

that's true - i agree. tbh i'm not bothered about the job thing bcos i know i'll be able to get one, i'm bothered about potentially not being able to even try and get into oxbridge. i'm sitting the autumn exams and it would be risky/ a lot of stress to apply early
Because oxbridge is oxbridge :dontknow:
I don't support bojo so what now? The elitism of Oxbridge drew me in and is what put me off as well but its your choice at first and then its down to who accepts you. Why not apply if you want to go there.

yeah that's the thing everything is different + more confusing this year for the ex y13s who are taking the autumn exams. so i dont know whether offers would be based on other academic things/ my summer CAGs. plus the deadline for oxbridge for my school is next week which is a lot of extra stress on top of revising
that's true - i agree. tbh i'm not bothered about the job thing bcos i know i'll be able to get one, i'm bothered about potentially not being able to even try and get into oxbridge. i'm sitting the autumn exams and it would be risky/ a lot of stress to apply early

Get in touch with your careers department and see what they say, I'm sure they'll be able to support you with that.
yeah that's the thing everything is different + more confusing this year for the ex y13s who are taking the autumn exams. so i dont know whether offers would be based on other academic things/ my summer CAGs. plus the deadline for oxbridge for my school is next week which is a lot of extra stress on top of revising

I think the procedure for your case will then be to tell them your CAGs and also let them know you'll be sitting the autumn exams. I cant say for sure when they will give you an offer but they might either give you an offer that is conditional to you getting the entry requirements in your Autumn exam results or put you on a waiting list and then take action when they receive your results. Good luck.
:iiam:

Well, it's not - it's just a history thing and it gets weirdly re-reified every year when the papers treat Oxbridge places as measures of schools' success and talk about state-private ratios there incessantly rather than just, say, helping under-represented students into HE generally.

Personally it gets my goat as I've spent quite a lot of the past year explaining to other students that I didn't get rejected from Oxbridge - I didn't apply! And I had to spend ages justifying why I wasn't as the school was thinking mostly of their Twitter feed... :facepalm: Just hoping no-one cares at my uni.

I really don't know as it's all such nonsense - none of Oxbirdge/LSE/UCL are a good choice for some degrees.

It's very much a TSR thing :smile:

Imho, there are some very ill-informed posters who believe the hype ...
Original post by Nutella!
Because oxbridge is oxbridge :dontknow:

You will end up at oxford ella IMO:thumbsup:
Reply 16
Due to history and tradition.
It's coz: they've been around forever; are hyped up massively in the media; have loads of famous alumni; their tutorial/supervision systems, and they have an air of mystique about them :iiam:
Original post by Golderz Is Great
You will end up at oxford ella IMO:thumbsup:

Probably not to be fair, it doesn’t really appeal to me :dontknow:
Original post by Muttley79
I really don't know as it's all such nonsense - none of Oxbirdge/LSE/UCL are a good choice for some degrees.

It's very much a TSR thing :smile:

Imho, there are some very ill-informed posters who believe the hype ...

I agree that those unis aren't the best for some degrees but this question is debated over and over again to a boring degree anywhere with a concentration of academic students - not restricted to TSR in the slightest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending