The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Unable to cancel halls in the case of another lockdown?

I’ve just re-read the terms and conditions and whilst it states that you are allowed to cancel your accommodation if :

“6.4.4 are unable to occupy the accommodation, or we are unable to provide the Accommodation, as a result of events beyond yours or our control such as an outbreak of a pandemic or epidemic or the application of government controls and:
(a) you provide 4 weeks written notice of your intention to terminate this Agreement and, in the notice, you specify the End Date; and
(b) you remove all your belongings from the Accommodation;“

This seems to mean that if halls stay open in the case of another lockdown (which is looking super likely in Manchester) and you decide to move out and go home in the case that everything shuts down/moves completely online you’re liable to pay the full amount? I know it says if you’re unable to occupy the room in the case of the pandemic but I wondered if that meant an outbreak in your halls specifically? What do you guys think?
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve just re-read the terms and conditions and whilst it states that you are allowed to cancel your accommodation if :

“6.4.4 are unable to occupy the accommodation, or we are unable to provide the Accommodation, as a result of events beyond yours or our control such as an outbreak of a pandemic or epidemic or the application of government controls and:
(a) you provide 4 weeks written notice of your intention to terminate this Agreement and, in the notice, you specify the End Date; and
(b) you remove all your belongings from the Accommodation;“

This seems to mean that if halls stay open in the case of another lockdown (which is looking super likely in Manchester) and you decide to move out and go home in the case that everything shuts down/moves completely online you’re liable to pay the full amount? I know it says if you’re unable to occupy the room in the case of the pandemic but I wondered if that meant an outbreak in your halls specifically? What do you guys think?

Why does this require you use anonymous?
The clause speaks for itself. The licence is for the full length and there will be very limited opportunities to bring it to an end. The answer to your question is in the first line.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
What’s me being anonymous got to do with my query? Why have you used a username like 999tiger instead you of your full name?

Not sure why you’ve commented on this thread at all, since you’ve not provided any further insight - I’m aware there’s limited opportunities to cancel but I’m asking about one in particular.
Reply 3
Boost
Yup it states that if the halls remain open and you are able to occupy them then you can’t cancel just because you choose to move out.
If however they close the halls and/or government advise says you should move out/home then you would give written 4weeks notice and remover your belongings so would have to pay for that notice period and then nothing more.
What’s me being anonymous got to do with my query? Why have you used a username like 999tiger instead you of your full name?

Not sure why you’ve commented on this thread at all, since you’ve not provided any further insight - I’m aware there’s limited opportunities to cancel but I’m asking about one in particular.

And I said the answer is in the first line, which says if they are unable to supply the accommodation or you are unable to occupy because someone else says so, then you have an opportunity to give notice.i.e leave. In all other circumstances (other than breaches in the rest of the terms) you are required to pay for the accommodation you signed up for at the rate and for the period you agreed to, because it is a contract. That is what the clause means.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
And I said the answer is in the first line, which says if they are unable to supply the accommodation or you are unable to occupy because someone else says so, then you have an opportunity to give notice.i.e leave. In all other circumstances (other than breaches in the rest of the terms) you are required to pay for the accommodation you signed up for at the rate and for the period you agreed to, because it is a contract. That is what the clause means.

‘Because someone else says so?’

And again an unnecessary and awkward response to my post.
Reply 7
Original post by GabiAbi84
Yup it states that if the halls remain open and you are able to occupy them then you can’t cancel just because you choose to move out.
If however they close the halls and/or government advise says you should move out/home then you would give written 4weeks notice and remover your belongings so would have to pay for that notice period and then nothing more.

I thought this was the case! I just wanted to get a second opinion as things are so up in the air at the minute. Thanks for your clear and straightforward response :smile:
‘Because someone else says so?’

And again an unnecessary and awkward response to my post.

Because that is what the clause says. Not my fault you are unable to understand the clause or accept the explanation I have just given you. You are the one who asked for advice by posting this thread because you were unable to interpret it. It remains consistent with accommodation licences in halls.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending