The Student Room Group

Choosing a degree/university is impossible

It’s honestly one of the most difficult things you have to do. It certainly doesn't help that whenever you make a decision you’re immediately told it’s the wrong one and you should go to a different university.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thisismyunitsr
It’s honestly one of the most difficult things you have to do. It certainly doesn't help that whenever you make a decision you’re immediately told it’s the wrong one and you should go to a different university.

The first thing is to focus on choosing the subject you want to study - are you sure about that?
Original post by harrysbar
The first thing is to focus on choosing the subject you want to study - are you sure about that?

No. I have been trying to get work experience in the field I have wanted to study for years and I can’t get the experience therefore I can’t make a decision about university
No. I have been trying to get work experience in the field I have wanted to study for years and I can’t get the experience therefore I can’t make a decision about university

That is frustrating - it's not that you need work experience for uni (apart from certain courses like medicine/vet science) but it does help to give you confidence that you will enjoy the job at the end of it all.

I totally understand your frustration! There are so many courses at so many fantastic universities :s-smilie: What sort of subjects do you enjoy at school? What ones are you academically strong in? You mentioned trying to get work experience- what field(s) are you trying to get in to?

Don't let anyone tell you that a course/uni is the "wrong" one though. Everyone makes a personal decision that's right for them when it comes to what/where you study. You have 5 choices to make on your UCAS form and it's up to you how you want to use them.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Hi @Thisismyunitsr,

If you can't get work experience, maybe try doing some short courses on things you find interesting? You can find free ones on websites like OpenLearn and Coursera. There may also be virtual work experience opportunities - a quick google search gave me these links which may be useful:
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/work-experience-and-internships/virtual-work-experience
https://barclayslifeskills.com/i-want-virtual-work-experience/school/virtual-work-experience/
https://www.speakersforschools.org/experience-2/vwex/
https://iscaexeter.co.uk/students/virtual-work-experience/

As well as deciding on course, also ask yourself questions such as: do I want to study at a uni close to where I currently live or do I want to move away? Or do I want to study an online or blended course? Do I want to live in halls or be a commuter student? Do I want to attend a city or campus university? Am I interested in sports & societies? Does the course have to have a year in industry or links with certain employers? Does the university & lecturers on the course I want to study in have any research areas that I'm particularly interested in? Am I bothered by league tables?

Hope that helps a bit.

Amy :smile:

Hi @Thisismyunitsr,

It definitely is a difficult decision but as @University of Strathclyde said, there is no 'wrong' course to choose. Maybe it would be good to have a ticklist of things that you'd want from an experience and see if that helps narrow down your choice :smile:
This could be things such as a campus/city based uni, the course, the ability to study abroad for a year etc.

Best of luck with it!
Millie
Student Rep
Original post by harrysbar
That is frustrating - it's not that you need work experience for uni (apart from certain courses like medicine/vet science) but it does help to give you confidence that you will enjoy the job at the end of it all.

Honestly the whole process is ****ing garbage. Whenever I make a decision it’s the wrong one.

Want to do film?
Don’t do that course as it’s not accredited.

Want to do media?
Don’t do that course as it won’t get you a job.

Want to do history?
Don’t do that course as it’s not high enough in the league tables.

The whole process is utterly awful and I wish I had never even considered going to university in the first place.
Take a Gap Year.
Get a job (if you can) and possibly do some travel.

Nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school.
Wait a year or two until you are more certain of what you want to do in life, and you dont have get anyone else's approval for your decisions. Then go to Uni.
Honestly the whole process is ****ing garbage. Whenever I make a decision it’s the wrong one.

Want to do film?
Don’t do that course as it’s not accredited.

Want to do media?
Don’t do that course as it won’t get you a job.

Want to do history?
Don’t do that course as it’s not high enough in the league tables.

The whole process is utterly awful and I wish I had never even considered going to university in the first place.

If you are going to do a degree, do it for yourself.
Original post by McGinger
Take a Gap Year.
Get a job (if you can) and possibly do some travel.

Nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school.
Wait a year or two until you are more certain of what you want to do in life, and you dont have get anyone else's approval for your decisions. Then go to Uni.

I AM 23. I have been unemployed for the last three years and I can’t get a job or an apprenticeship due to my lack of employment over the past three years. It’s my only option now.
I decided to take a gap year and look for apprenticeships, I now work at sky, in year 12, I was set on Loughborough, didn't get it on results day, so I re evaluated my options. for travelling I went to la for a week to see the ksi fight.
this year I was planning to go to Sri Lanka for 3 weeks, but it was cancelled due to covid so didn't exactly 'travel'

bottom line is , if your really unsure, take a gap year, your not in a rush at your age
(Please dont shout - it doesnt incline anyone to offering you any more advice)
Original post by Iliketurtles19
I decided to take a gap year and look for apprenticeships, I now work at sky, in year 12, I was set on Loughborough, didn't get it on results day, so I re evaluated my options. for travelling I went to la for a week to see the ksi fight.
this year I was planning to go to Sri Lanka for 3 weeks, but it was cancelled due to covid so didn't exactly 'travel'

bottom line is , if your really unsure, take a gap year, your not in a rush at your age

Yes but you were 19/20 when you did your apprenticeship and you had no gaps on your CV. When you’re 23 and you have a three year gap on your CV you are essentially unemployable. Going to university is unfortunately my only option even if it is the wrong one
(Please dont shout - it doesnt incline anyone to offering you any more advice)

Alright sorry.
i found it pretty easy tbh. guess i’m lucky.
Here is one suggestion - the Foundation Year in Arts and Humanities at Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/study/foundation/
Top Uni, course designed exactly for slightly older students who are 'restarting' and who are bright and ambitious. It would lead on to any of the related degrees at Bristol, or to a course like Law.
Here is one suggestion - the Foundation Year in Arts and Humanities at Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/study/foundation/
Top Uni, course designed exactly for slightly older students who are 'restarting' and who are bright and ambitious. It would lead on to any of the related degrees at Bristol, or to a course like Law.

I’m not interested in doing an essay based degree
I’m not interested in doing an essay based degree

That's narrowed it down significantly already. Any others ? Then see what you're left with.
Original post by Mkb24764
That's narrowed it down significantly already. Any others ? Then see what you're left with.

I’ve already enrolled to uni this year so it’s a bit late now but I can’t do STEM or essay based stuff so I guess it’s something creative?
If you have already ENROLLED this year, why are you even asking this question....?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending