The Student Room Group

Fridge space in halls - someone taken my shelf-space.

Hiya.

I moved into uni yesterday, and was one of the first to get to my dorm. I took a shelf in the fridge and put some of my food and water bottles there. I hadn't done a big shop yet, but was planning to to fill up my shelf with a few things.

I was under the assumption that everyone would get at least one shelf. I went to get a drink this morning, and found that someone has put their food in front of mine.

I now don't really have any room to put any extra shopping, and I don't really know what to do. We only have one big fridge and then a small fridge that's already occupied. The rest are freezers. My uni doesn't allow minifridges in dorm rooms, unless it's for medical reasons so I don't know what to do.
Reply 1
Slap them well. Assert your dominance. I'm joking.

Try to negotiate with said person, and come to an agreement which benefits both of you.
Reply 2
Original post by gtty123
Slap them well. Assert your dominance. I'm joking.

Try to negotiate with said person, and come to an agreement which benefits both of you.

I don't know who it is, and I don't really want to cause friction because I've read that fridge issues tend to spark drama. I don't know if people were just overzealous and bought too much stuff/underestimated how big the fridges would be, so part of me is hoping that I'll be able to recoup my space once their stuff is gone?

I have anxiety, so I really don't want to get into any arguments with anyone.
Thats unfair and you need to ask your flatmates to be considerate of you
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know who it is, and I don't really want to cause friction because I've read that fridge issues tend to spark drama. I don't know if people were just overzealous and bought too much stuff/underestimated how big the fridges would be, so part of me is hoping that I'll be able to recoup my space once their stuff is gone?

I have anxiety, so I really don't want to get into any arguments with anyone.

You "hoping" won't fix anything. It could happen, or it couldn't. Anyway, what's not to say that they'd do this again?

You don't have to get into an "[argument]" with anyone. Calmly explain the situation, and show your side. If they listen - hooray. If not, find an alternative. For example, ask someone else to use their shelf.
I can understand if you don’t want to cause drama or anything, especially in the first week or so. But it doesn’t have to be confrontational, you do need to discuss it though with your flat mates as you need to establish boundaries.

Have you worked out how much space in the fridge there is per person? because if there’s enough for one shelf each then you can propose this to your flat mates.
If there’s only space for half a shelf then you may need to make the best of it and try to cram as much as you can in half a shelf. But if things are fair then most reasonable people will not be uncooperative.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hiya.

I moved into uni yesterday, and was one of the first to get to my dorm. I took a shelf in the fridge and put some of my food and water bottles there. I hadn't done a big shop yet, but was planning to to fill up my shelf with a few things.

I was under the assumption that everyone would get at least one shelf. I went to get a drink this morning, and found that someone has put their food in front of mine.

I now don't really have any room to put any extra shopping, and I don't really know what to do. We only have one big fridge and then a small fridge that's already occupied. The rest are freezers. My uni doesn't allow minifridges in dorm rooms, unless it's for medical reasons so I don't know what to do.

Hi!

This happened lots to me at the beginning of first year so don't worry even though I know it is frustrating! I would say to create a groupchat with everyone in your flat, and drop a message in it to say something vague like "hey are we all cool to have one fridge and freezer shelf each?" then i'm sure everyone will respond saying yes. It's best to be open and honest with how you are feeling as it's not fair to have other people using your shelf. Also drop a message saying that you have worked out that everyone gets 1 cupboard each and then ask who wants which one as you don'y know where to put your food. Then move your things to an empty shelf and if there aren't any just add a message to the chat or ask one of your housemates what shelf they have so that they can let you know and possibly move some of their things!

I always recommend being upfront and saying it how it is to your flatmates because at the end of the day it needs to be fair and everyone needs their own space for food!

Have the best time at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Hiya.

Even though most people do agree that everyone has one shelf each, this normally has to be verbally agreed upon. This person may not realise that the "done thing" is one shelf each, hence putting their food on your shelf. You need to sit down with your flatmates and establish some ground rules for things like this to make sure there is no misunderstanding.
Reply 8
Original post by gtty123
You "hoping" won't fix anything. It could happen, or it couldn't. Anyway, what's not to say that they'd do this again?

You don't have to get into an "[argument]" with anyone. Calmly explain the situation, and show your side. If they listen - hooray. If not, find an alternative. For example, ask someone else to use their shelf.

You're right. I suppose I'll have to broach the topic somehow. My mum's a bit incensed about this, but I don't want her to say anything as I have to fight my own battles.

Original post by Lkathryn08
I can understand if you don’t want to cause drama or anything, especially in the first week or so. But it doesn’t have to be confrontational, you do need to discuss it though with your flat mates as you need to establish boundaries.

Have you worked out how much space in the fridge there is per person? because if there’s enough for one shelf each then you can propose this to your flat mates.
If there’s only space for half a shelf then you may need to make the best of it and try to cram as much as you can in half a shelf. But if things are fair then most reasonable people will not be uncooperative.

From what I can recall, it should be 1 person per shelf. I was in the same building last year (came out due to health reasons) and the fridges are the same. Had zero issues then - we all had room for our bits and pieces.

Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

This happened lots to me at the beginning of first year so don't worry even though I know it is frustrating! I would say to create a groupchat with everyone in your flat, and drop a message in it to say something vague like "hey are we all cool to have one fridge and freezer shelf each?" then i'm sure everyone will respond saying yes. It's best to be open and honest with how you are feeling as it's not fair to have other people using your shelf. Also drop a message saying that you have worked out that everyone gets 1 cupboard each and then ask who wants which one as you don'y know where to put your food. Then move your things to an empty shelf and if there aren't any just add a message to the chat or ask one of your housemates what shelf they have so that they can let you know and possibly move some of their things!

I always recommend being upfront and saying it how it is to your flatmates because at the end of the day it needs to be fair and everyone needs their own space for food!

Have the best time at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Yeah we have a group-chat. I'll try and ask people there so hopefully we can get something sorted.

Original post by DrawTheLine
Even though most people do agree that everyone has one shelf each, this normally has to be verbally agreed upon. This person may not realise that the "done thing" is one shelf each, hence putting their food on your shelf. You need to sit down with your flatmates and establish some ground rules for things like this to make sure there is no misunderstanding.

Understood. It's just a bit difficult as I don't even think everyone has arrived yet, so I don't know what they're going to do when they rock up and the fridge is packed.
Understood. It's just a bit difficult as I don't even think everyone has arrived yet, so I don't know what they're going to do when they rock up and the fridge is packed.

You could talk to the people that are already there and say "hey, we seem to have limited fridge space, how about we divvy it up and everyone has their own shelf? Makes it fair and ensures nobody is left without any space. the door can be communal". And then as more people arrive, you can say "hi and welcome, this is the agreed upon rules of the fridge...", or something like that.
You're right. I suppose I'll have to broach the topic somehow. My mum's a bit incensed about this, but I don't want her to say anything as I have to fight my own battles.

Good luck 🙂.
It's sorted, thank you all for your help. :smile: <3
Hi!
Just kindly talk to the person who did that, tell them that you still want to do some more food shopping and that is the only shelf you have, so you need the space, it can be scary to have these conversations with someone you don't know, but it has to be done sometimes...
Good luck! 😉

Quick Reply

Latest