The Student Room Group

Access to Science - My advice and experience

Scroll to see replies

Heyy I'm going kcl and I found my modules but I have no clue how to find my timetable, I went to that website they gave but there is no "my timetable" section there so I'm just baffed
Original post by joanneg76
Are you more confident now you’ve had the induction?

I’ve got 2 weeks until my induction and I don’t start the course until 22nd. I just want to get started now!

Best of luck with it 😊

I think we're having 3 induction sessions this week. All online from what I can gather. With regards to the course itself, 3 days will be remote learning online and 1 day a week on campus. It's being strictly regulated when we go in so as to ensure social distancing at all times. Unfortunately I'm not very well at the moment so really hope I feel better before I have to get a bus and actually go in.

Gosh you're starting quite late. Do you know the modules you'll be doing now?
Original post by Auntie_Autie2019
I think we're having 3 induction sessions this week. All online from what I can gather. With regards to the course itself, 3 days will be remote learning online and 1 day a week on campus. It's being strictly regulated when we go in so as to ensure social distancing at all times. Unfortunately I'm not very well at the moment so really hope I feel better before I have to get a bus and actually go in.

Gosh you're starting quite late. Do you know the modules you'll be doing now?

It is a late start isn’t it. But worrying as I know there’s loads to cover so I’m thinking it’s going to be pretty full on!
I don’t know the modules yet, I guess we will be told at the induction which is going to be on campus. I’m doing one day in college a week and 2 days online learning.
I hope you feel better soon before you have to go in.
Original post by Ldn17
that's great! you have started the access journey and before you know it time will fly! all the best :smile:

Thank you! My first lecture is Biology on Monday. Not sure how much Biology we'll cover in the first lesson as we're starting with basic computer skills so they know we can do it. Especially as so much of the course is done electronically.
So I'm a week and a half into timetabled lectures now. It's ok so far but pretty full on and a lot to take in. I hope everyone else is doing ok.
So I'm a week and a half into timetabled lectures now. It's ok so far but pretty full on and a lot to take in. I hope everyone else is doing ok.

I just had my induction day at the college yesterday. They repeatedly told us it would be very full on, especially as its starting late this year!
I start properly on Tuesday and it’s all going to be online now, apart from when we need to come in for practicals in the lab.
Not going to lie, I felt pretty nervous coming away yesterday, I just hope I can keep up!!
I’m lucky I’m not having to work right now so I can concentrate on this only. How about you?
I just had my induction day at the college yesterday. They repeatedly told us it would be very full on, especially as its starting late this year!
I start properly on Tuesday and it’s all going to be online now, apart from when we need to come in for practicals in the lab.
Not going to lie, I felt pretty nervous coming away yesterday, I just hope I can keep up!!
I’m lucky I’m not having to work right now so I can concentrate on this only. How about you?

Yes it does feel pretty full on. We're a really big class too and they had to turn applicants away so I'm glad I applied early. Do you have any more induction sessions this week and have they told you what subjects you'll be studying? I've got Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Maths, Study Skills, Communications and Tutorial. I've been too unwell to work so I really hope I can manage this.
Yes it does feel pretty full on. We're a really big class too and they had to turn applicants away so I'm glad I applied early. Do you have any more induction sessions this week and have they told you what subjects you'll be studying? I've got Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Maths, Study Skills, Communications and Tutorial. I've been too unwell to work so I really hope I can manage this.

How are you getting on now it’s been going for a few weeks?
My course is biology, chemistry and physics together with study and writing skills, prep for HE and a wellbeing and resilience module. We’ve gone 100% online, except for practicals when they try to get us in. Had one so far for physics.
I’m enjoying it all, apart from the well-being module which I find a bit boring to be honest. I’ve got a couple of ungraded assignments due on 20th so not long away 😬.
It’s full on, but I guess we have a lot to fit into a short period of time!
Just got the uni application with personal statement to get on with now!!
How are you getting on now it’s been going for a few weeks?
My course is biology, chemistry and physics together with study and writing skills, prep for HE and a wellbeing and resilience module. We’ve gone 100% online, except for practicals when they try to get us in. Had one so far for physics.
I’m enjoying it all, apart from the well-being module which I find a bit boring to be honest. I’ve got a couple of ungraded assignments due on 20th so not long away 😬.
It’s full on, but I guess we have a lot to fit into a short period of time!
Just got the uni application with personal statement to get on with now!!

Hi. Well I can confirm that it's definitely full on and intense. I've submitted a couple of ungraded assignments so they will just be pass or referral and several pieces of homework. Even without assignments they're working us hard and setting deadlines for us to meet. Next week will be my first graded assessment deadline and I am very nervous. I knew it wouldn't be easy but I didn't expect it to be so full on quickly. In some ways being mostly online makes it easier but it can also make it more challenging in other ways too.

Will you be getting a half term soon? Ours is at the end of October but I just see it as a week without lectures. I'm sure we'll have lots of work to do during the week.

How are you finding the biology and chemistry? I find chemistry to be incredibly fast paced. Very different to school anyway.

Hope you're well.
Hi. Well I can confirm that it's definitely full on and intense. I've submitted a couple of ungraded assignments so they will just be pass or referral and several pieces of homework. Even without assignments they're working us hard and setting deadlines for us to meet. Next week will be my first graded assessment deadline and I am very nervous. I knew it wouldn't be easy but I didn't expect it to be so full on quickly. In some ways being mostly online makes it easier but it can also make it more challenging in other ways too.

Will you be getting a half term soon? Ours is at the end of October but I just see it as a week without lectures. I'm sure we'll have lots of work to do during the week.

How are you finding the biology and chemistry? I find chemistry to be incredibly fast paced. Very different to school anyway.

Hope you're well.

Hi, I'm glad you're getting on ok. There are a few people on my course that seem to be struggling and I wouldn't be surprised if a couple drop out by the end of the year.

I have a chemistry exam straight after half term and a physics assignment due in November, then a biology exam in December, so there is plenty to do this half term! I have a couple of ungraded assignments due the week before half term, one of those is about the uni applications. Have you written your personal statement yet? I've written most of mine, it's just a little short so I need to add to it this weekend and then my tutor said he's happy for me to send it to him to look over.

Online is not as bad as I thought, like you say in some ways it's easier. The lessons are very fast paced, especially biology and I have to spend a while afterwards getting my notes written up. On the whole, I'm really enjoying. Once the uni applications are done, that will be a weight of my mind though. I've got another virtual open day today, they're a bit weird as it's hard to really get a feel for the place when it's all virtual.

Keep me updated how you're getting on.
Hi @Ldn17, thank you for posting about your experience. Where did you do your access course?

I'm 25 and want to make a career change from business into Dietetics but I need chemistry to apply for a Dietetics BSc. I'm looking to start an access course as soon as I can. I wanted to do the Birkbeck Access Course but their intake is full for now, many of the online platforms I've looked into have so many poor reviews and I see a lot of people on here also giving mixed reviews.

I'm really looking for someone who can advise an access course that they did and had success. I'm working full time for this year so need it to be evening lessons or online learning.
Any advice is welcome!

Many thanks.
Reply 51
Original post by Sorchamcev
Hi @Ldn17, thank you for posting about your experience. Where did you do your access course?

I'm 25 and want to make a career change from business into Dietetics but I need chemistry to apply for a Dietetics BSc. I'm looking to start an access course as soon as I can. I wanted to do the Birkbeck Access Course but their intake is full for now, many of the online platforms I've looked into have so many poor reviews and I see a lot of people on here also giving mixed reviews.

I'm really looking for someone who can advise an access course that they did and had success. I'm working full time for this year so need it to be evening lessons or online learning.
Any advice is welcome!

Many thanks.

Hi!
Yes I can advise no problem :smile:
So I did my access course in a London college (Croydon college to be exact) and I did this access course in science which is accredited by OCN the awarding body. Universities will be specific with awarding bodies and they will check to see if the course is accredited and that your doing modules on the course which will gain you entry onto the degree.

Seeing as college has already begun and given the nature of access courses it’s highly unlikely you will be able to start one now. I would steer away from online courses , it will cost you money and it may leave you with a qualification that is not acceptable by universities.

An access course can get you onto dietetics. I got accepted onto all my chosen unis with unconditional offers and went and exceeded the entry requirements so believe me it’s doable!

If you aren’t be able to get onto an access course this year I would try to do either a foundation year at uni (preferably in nutrition) I think unis may still be in clearing and then try to apply to dietetics after.

Or I would highly recommend take this year to gain some experience in a setting with vulnerable people and start an access course next year.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need anymore advice and good luck whatever you decide to do :smile:
Reply 52
Hi, I'm glad you're getting on ok. There are a few people on my course that seem to be struggling and I wouldn't be surprised if a couple drop out by the end of the year.

I have a chemistry exam straight after half term and a physics assignment due in November, then a biology exam in December, so there is plenty to do this half term! I have a couple of ungraded assignments due the week before half term, one of those is about the uni applications. Have you written your personal statement yet? I've written most of mine, it's just a little short so I need to add to it this weekend and then my tutor said he's happy for me to send it to him to look over.

Online is not as bad as I thought, like you say in some ways it's easier. The lessons are very fast paced, especially biology and I have to spend a while afterwards getting my notes written up. On the whole, I'm really enjoying. Once the uni applications are done, that will be a weight of my mind though. I've got another virtual open day today, they're a bit weird as it's hard to really get a feel for the place when it's all virtual.

Keep going ladies :smile: sounds like you guys are busy getting stuck in and the hard work is definitely going to pay off! Rooting for you and hope the UCAS application goes well!
Thank you! That's so helpful, yes I've been trying to do the most legitimate courses, e.g. Birkbeck or one of the OCN college courses which as you said have already started and won't let me in. They also they want me to come in full time or 3 days a week, but I'm working full time for this year.

There are online access courses which are reputable, there are a lot of bad reviews out there but I think I need to take it with a pinch of salt and go for one of them as they are the only courses that will allow me to get started this year and work flexibly. Do you know anyone who did any of these courses?

https://www.learndirect.com/course/access-to-higher-education-medicine-healthcare-general
https://www.distancelearningcentre.com/career/science/
https://www.stonebridge.uk.com/course/access-to-higher-education-combined-natural-science

Many thanks,

Sorcha
Reply 54
Original post by Sorchamcev
Thank you! That's so helpful, yes I've been trying to do the most legitimate courses, e.g. Birkbeck or one of the OCN college courses which as you said have already started and won't let me in. They also they want me to come in full time or 3 days a week, but I'm working full time for this year.

There are online access courses which are reputable, there are a lot of bad reviews out there but I think I need to take it with a pinch of salt and go for one of them as they are the only courses that will allow me to get started this year and work flexibly. Do you know anyone who did any of these courses?

https://www.learndirect.com/course/access-to-higher-education-medicine-healthcare-general
https://www.distancelearningcentre.com/career/science/
https://www.stonebridge.uk.com/course/access-to-higher-education-combined-natural-science

Many thanks,

Sorcha

Heya,
I am not familiar with the online courses sorry!
One vital advice would be to check with your chosen universities if they would accept this qualification to get into dietetics. That way you know for certain and don't end up wasting your time and money.

All the best
Original post by Ldn17
Heya,
I am not familiar with the online courses sorry!
One vital advice would be to check with your chosen universities if they would accept this qualification to get into dietetics. That way you know for certain and don't end up wasting your time and money.

All the best

Yes I am going to do that now, thanks for the advice!

Hi hope you're ok. I managed to get on top all my work this week so been able to relax and recuperate this weekend. My first graded assignment has gone in so now just waiting for my marks. We also did another one in class so that's good. Our assignments for maths (Level 2) are either pass or fail and 2 have been submitted so we're definitely making progress. I'm expecting 2 new assignments to be given to us before half term. One tomorrow I think and the other on Wednesday. Apart from that maybe some homework to keep us ticking over.

I've submitted my personal statement but not had any feedback yet. We're such a big group it takes a while for them to assess our work. Everyone is doing their best though.

Dreading new government restrictions though as very worried about schools and colleges closing again. I've only just settled into a routine so it's definitely very stressful.

I hope you're ok and had a good weekend. Are you finding the workload ok? What about the online lessons? Are you managing to understand the content? I find chemistry really challenging now.
Hello all, thank you for all of your comments and advice in this thread! It has made me feel a lot more relaxed that I am not alone! I am 37 and looking to study a BSc Dietetics degree next year. I am a bit late, but finally signed up to an online Access course on Friday! I hope I didn't leave it too late, but I am looking forward to getting stuck in. I will be having a chat with my tutor tomorrow morning to set up a study plan. Good luck to everyone and hopefully we will keep in touch as we progress!
Hi hope you're ok. I managed to get on top all my work this week so been able to relax and recuperate this weekend. My first graded assignment has gone in so now just waiting for my marks. We also did another one in class so that's good. Our assignments for maths (Level 2) are either pass or fail and 2 have been submitted so we're definitely making progress. I'm expecting 2 new assignments to be given to us before half term. One tomorrow I think and the other on Wednesday. Apart from that maybe some homework to keep us ticking over.

I've submitted my personal statement but not had any feedback yet. We're such a big group it takes a while for them to assess our work. Everyone is doing their best though.

Dreading new government restrictions though as very worried about schools and colleges closing again. I've only just settled into a routine so it's definitely very stressful.

I hope you're ok and had a good weekend. Are you finding the workload ok? What about the online lessons? Are you managing to understand the content? I find chemistry really challenging now.

Hi, I’m glad you got on top of things. I managed to finish my first assignment yesterday, so I’ve had all Sunday to recharge my batteries.

I’m getting to grips with the online learning now. We had a chemistry mock exam on Friday and I think it went ok. We have the real test after half term and I think they’re going to try and get us in. Otherwise what’s to stop people checking the answers?!!

I’m getting on I’m with chemistry so far, physics is a bit harder. We have an ongoing assignment and each week our lesson covers the content for a couple more questions. Looking ahead at the assignment, it does seem to get progressively more difficult!
My favourite lesson is anatomy and physiology, it’s really interesting.

Do you get half term week soon? one more week and then a bit of a breather, although there will be lots to do, it’ll be nice to have time to get on with it without new stuff being thrown at us!!
Original post by Stacey_D
Hello all, thank you for all of your comments and advice in this thread! It has made me feel a lot more relaxed that I am not alone! I am 37 and looking to study a BSc Dietetics degree next year. I am a bit late, but finally signed up to an online Access course on Friday! I hope I didn't leave it too late, but I am looking forward to getting stuck in. I will be having a chat with my tutor tomorrow morning to set up a study plan. Good luck to everyone and hopefully we will keep in touch as we progress!

Hi, good luck with your access course. I’m sure you’ll be able to catch up. I started access to science in September, just a one year course and then I want to do BSc in nutrition next year.
My course was supposed to be at the college in person but has been mostly all online. We only went in for one practical, though they want to get us in for more soon.
I’m 44, so I’ve left it even longer than you! I worried a lot about it at first, but I think being that bit older actually helps.
Keep us updated with how you get on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending