The Student Room Group

Midwifery Access course

Hi, I'm doing a midwifery Access course, and I'm on unit 7 (academic report about human reproduction). I know no one can really help me, especially without seeing my report, but I just wanted to vent a little bit. I'm struggling with the word count. :mad: The max word count for this assignment is 2000 words. I could easily use 3500 words, and my report wouldn't be thorough enough. I separated the unit for 17 separate little subjects (including the introduction and conclusion). It means, for every subject I can use 117 words! 117 words for subjects like female reproductive system, childbirth, menstrual cycle, etc. It's like 10-15 sentences! I cut out so many things already and shortened the sentences that I feel I don't even use proper English anymore. And the assessor in previous feedback mentioned that the bullet points are not good enough for description. It's so annoying that I have to spend more time on shortening than an actual report writing.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ulee81
Hi, I'm doing a midwifery Access course, and I'm on unit 7 (academic report about human reproduction). I know no one can really help me, especially without seeing my report, but I just wanted to vent a little bit. I'm struggling with the word count. :mad: The max word count for this assignment is 2000 words. I could easily use 3500 words, and my report wouldn't be thorough enough. I separated the unit for 17 separate little subjects (including the introduction and conclusion). It means, for every subject I can use 117 words! 117 words for subjects like female reproductive system, childbirth, menstrual cycle, etc. It's like 10-15 sentences! I cut out so many things already and shortened the sentences that I feel I don't even use proper English anymore. And the accessor in previous feedback mentioned that the bullet points are not good enough for description. It's so annoying that I have to spend more time on shortening than an actual report writing.

Ah, I remember this struggle well. I love writing and found myself rambling, even if I thought it was relevant to the topic. I got my mark back for our practice assignment on Cell Biology and I got a Merit, mainly because I wasn't being direct. A friend who got the highest mark in the class gave me a super helpful tip: write as if you hate the person reading it. Direct. Straight to the point. You don't like them. Keep it short. Don't waste words.

It worked, and I got Distinctions in every assignment after that :biggrin: Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by denideth
Ah, I remember this struggle well. I love writing and found myself rambling, even if I thought it was relevant to the topic. I got my mark back for our practice assignment on Cell Biology and I got a Merit, mainly because I wasn't being direct. A friend who got the highest mark in the class gave me a super helpful tip: write as if you hate the person reading it. Direct. Straight to the point. You don't like them. Keep it short. Don't waste words.

It worked, and I got Distinctions in every assignment after that :biggrin: Good luck.

Thanks for your advice! I actually managed to downsize it. Oh, I hated them while I was doing it, that's for sure! The assessor accepted it but said that some of the explanations were limited. At least I'm over it now. Thanks again! :smile:
Original post by ulee81
Hi, I'm doing a midwifery Access course, and I'm on unit 7 (academic report about human reproduction). I know no one can really help me, especially without seeing my report, but I just wanted to vent a little bit. I'm struggling with the word count. :mad: The max word count for this assignment is 2000 words. I could easily use 3500 words, and my report wouldn't be thorough enough. I separated the unit for 17 separate little subjects (including the introduction and conclusion). It means, for every subject I can use 117 words! 117 words for subjects like female reproductive system, childbirth, menstrual cycle, etc. It's like 10-15 sentences! I cut out so many things already and shortened the sentences that I feel I don't even use proper English anymore. And the assessor in previous feedback mentioned that the bullet points are not good enough for description. It's so annoying that I have to spend more time on shortening than an actual report writing.

Then you need to see the woods for the trees and focus on the main points whilst condensing others. Soemthing will have to give and some of your writing will not be scoring any marks even though you view it as indispensible. You need rebuilding rather than tinkering. the task is to write the best report you cna within the word limit. so some things are going to be more important than others.
Reply 4
Hi there,I am also struggling with the same issue. My first draft was almost 3000 words so I have simplified it and now my feedback is telling me that it lacks detail, presentation and structure. Could anyone help me with section 1- An explanation of the structure and functions of the female reproductive systems. How did you present the information? I created a table for the description and function for both male and female systems but apparently this isn't ok......Any help is HUGELY appreciated!! Thanks
Original post by Hwarr1
Hi there,I am also struggling with the same issue. My first draft was almost 3000 words so I have simplified it and now my feedback is telling me that it lacks detail, presentation and structure. Could anyone help me with section 1- An explanation of the structure and functions of the female reproductive systems. How did you present the information? I created a table for the description and function for both male and female systems but apparently this isn't ok......Any help is HUGELY appreciated!! Thanks

Hey, I appreciate this post was a couple of months ago but just wondering how you resolved it? I am really struggling with word count on this assignment - did you just reply on diagrams a lot?! Thanks
Reply 6
Hey no problem at all. I ended up restructuring the first section. I removed the tables I’d created and discussed each structure and function so they flowed from one part of the body to the next I used one diagram for each of the male/female systems. The next section, I spent some time discussing gametogenesis and puberty. They are closely linked, but I didn’t get too weighed down with the actual processes, like the study material does, just mostly what happens with hormone activity at puberty in male and females. I ended up getting a distinction! Word count has been my biggest challenge throughout. I love to write 😂 I’m currently finishing unit 13 and I’m already about 500 words over 🙈. Let me know if you need more help xx
Yes the tiny word counts are definitely the biggest challenge with such big areas to cover! Great that you got a distinction! I need pretty much all distinctions to get on my uni course so just trying my best and crossing my fingers!!

Which one has been your worst unit so far? Xx
Reply 8
Yes I’m in the same situation, I need mostly distinctions too. I’ve managed it so far but it’s a lot of pressure when the subjects are so varied and your teaching yourself. I’m also working to a tight schedule. I start Uni in sept so need to finish the course by end of June 😱. I would say I found units 10 and 12 the toughest so far. Mostly because they have more than one assignment for each unit. I’ve found I’m working more efficiently now tho knowing what to expect with certain assignment criteria etc. Good luck with the course! Xx
Good luck to you too, sounds like you have a lot to do before June but I’m sure you’ll get there! Brilliant that you’re starting uni in sept as well, I’m aiming for 2022 and hoping to have the access course done by Xmas x
Reply 10
Hi! Does anyone know what the times assignment entails for u it 12?! I’m Feeling nervous and there’s no suggestion of what it might be 😩😩😂🤯
I think it’s a multiple choice test but I’m not 100% as I’m not there yet x
Reply 12
Ahhh I see thanks for that! This is my hardest unit so far but finally getting getting there! Good luck to those working through it :smile:
I'm not that far into the course yet but definitely struggling with words count! Super annoying if they come back and say not enough detail or depth of knowledge when you've had to cull it so heavily. Good luck x
It’s so infuriating isn’t it? I just can’t see how you can condense massive topics into 2000 words! The whole process is painful! I spend more time cutting the word count then i do researching and writing! X
same here could someone send me a draft at all, a revision guide is what they want they said it was too much like an article, so totally stuck as to wht they actually want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending