The Student Room Group

london people who go to non london unis...

can we get an 18-25 oyster card?
pretty sure u can, at a discounted price too
Reply 2
Original post by justjas33
pretty sure u can, at a discounted price too

can you send a link
Reply 4

but it says I need to living in a london borough during term time?
Original post by Anonymous
but it says I need to living in a london borough during term time?

Yep - if u go to a London uni you’ll be living in a London borough as you’ll be living in London :smile:
Reply 6
Yep - if u go to a London uni you’ll be living in a London borough as you’ll be living in London :smile:

read the title, I am a student who lives in london (my family is based in london) but I'm going to uni elsewhere. What do I do?
read the title, I am a student who lives in london (my family is based in london) but I'm going to uni elsewhere. What do I do?

Ohh oml sorry I thought u said that you were going to a London uni!!
Well you can defo still get the 18-25 Oyster card, just not at a discounted price. My mum has one and she only goes into London like once a year. I could get one if I wanted to as well as I’ve just turned 18. No probs with that :smile: I suppose you want it for visits home?
Reply 8
Well you can defo still get the 18-25 Oyster card, just not at a discounted price. My mum has one and she only goes into London like once a year. I could get one if I wanted to as well as I’ve just turned 18. No probs with that :smile: I suppose you want it for visits home?

precisely
precisely

Oh well then it’s totally fine. Why wouldn’t it be?

This is false. You need to be living in London to get the 18-25 card. I have had multiple discussions (arguments) with TFL over this. OP, you need to be living in London and commuting in order to be eligible for the 18-25. Its frustrating but nothing can be done. Ill save you the 6 weeks of absolute stress i went through to find this information out

The only thing you can do is get a regular oyster card, like myself. I travel home every 2 weeks or so to see my family and have to pay full price. All my friends who live in London and go to London uni's have the 18-25 card, me being the only exception as i dont live in London during term time
Original post by candidate415
The only thing you can do is get a regular oyster card, like myself. I travel home every 2 weeks or so to see my family and have to pay full price. All my friends who live in London and go to London uni's have the 18-25 card, me being the only exception as i dont live in London during term time

ok thanks
If you frequently go to London and back, you could consider getting the 16-25 railcard. You can apply the discount to your Oyster card.
Original post by Plagioclase
If you frequently go to London and back, you could consider getting the 16-25 railcard. You can apply the discount to your Oyster card.

how do I apply the discount to my oyster card?
Original post by Plagioclase

I never knew this before :eek: on regular blue oyster card?
tell me more.....
how do I apply the discount to my oyster card?

Original post by candidate415
I never knew this before :eek: on regular blue oyster card?

As long as your Oyster card is registered under your name then yes you can. You basically need to take your Oyster card and railcard to a member of staff at an underground station and they'll do it for you. When I did it (this was over four years ago) the person I asked didn't know it was possible but they took it to their supervisor and they did it. At that point, the discount only lasted for two years so if you have a four-year Santander railcard then you have to go back after two years and get it applied again, but other than that it works.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending