The Student Room Group

Transferring to Cambridge from another University

I used to be an unmotivated lasy student who did not like to do much work. But recently I have changed my ways due to seeing the power of education. I was unable to do my A level exams but if I know started my university course, at not a great University, but worked very hard, is there any possibility I could join Cambridge, as a transfer or starting again, even if I didn't get the A level grades need for that course?
Reply 1
Original post by blwork
I used to be an unmotivated lasy student who did not like to do much work. But recently I have changed my ways due to seeing the power of education. I was unable to do my A level exams but if I know started my university course, at not a great University, but worked very hard, is there any possibility I could join Cambridge, as a transfer or starting again, even if I didn't get the A level grades need for that course?

Why were you unable to do your A Levels?

Are you taking them next year?
Reply 2
Original post by Kerzen
Why were you unable to do your A Levels?

Are you taking them next year?

The exams were cancelled. I have the chance to take a gap year and redo them or go straight to University now.
Reply 3
Original post by blwork
The exams were cancelled. I have the chance to take a gap year and redo them or go straight to University now.

I understand what you mean now. Do you have grades for your A Levels?

Which subject are you hoping to read?
Reply 4
Original post by Kerzen
I understand what you mean now. Do you have grades for your A Levels?

Which subject are you hoping to read?

Yes. I got a B in Biology, a B in Chemistry and a D in maths. I feel these results are unfair and don't represent my ability.

I would like to study Chemistry or a financial subject.

Do you think there is any chance. If not what is the best thing I do to increase my chances.
Cambridge doesn't accept transfers. As I understand it you MIGHT be considered for year 1 entry if you've achieved 80% at your other university at FHEQ level 5 (end of second year). At the end of the day, Cambridge isn't the end of the world. It isn't just about grades it is about if you are the type of person Cambridge is looking for (and if Cambridge is right for you) and even then, there may be up to 7 people interviewing per place depending on what you wish to read, even an A*A*A* student will have a/an insurance plan(s).

Another thing I'd add, is that if you're focused on Chemistry, you may want to look at the Natural Sciences Tripos in detail. A Cambridge Tripos can be heavily interdisciplinary, so in your first year you'd take papers across 4 disciplines, this is the appeal of many of courses like Natural Sciences, HSPS, Psychology and Behavioural Sciences compared to their counterparts at comparable universities; so how focused you want to be specifically on Chemistry is something to consider because it may only take up 25-50% of your papers in years one and two.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by blwork

You have virtually no chance, I'm afraid. Not only are your grades well below Cambridge's requirements, but as a matter of principle they only take transfers in exceptional circumstances.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq
Original post by blwork
Yes. I got a B in Biology, a B in Chemistry and a D in maths. I feel these results are unfair and don't represent my ability.

I would like to study Chemistry or a financial subject.

Do you think there is any chance. If not what is the best thing I do to increase my chances.

The best thing to do is contact the admissions team at the college(s) you which to apply to. They will most probably suggest you take OU (FHEQ level 5) modules or an Access to HE course.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/why-cambridge/support/mature-students/mature-student-applications
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ageshallnot
You have virtually no chance, I'm afraid. Not only are your grades well below Cambridge's requirements, but as a matter of principle they only take transfers in exceptional circumstances.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq

What would these exceptional circumstances be?
You're probably better off doing your undergraduate, performing really well in that and doing a master's at Cambridge.

Your A-Levels are far too low (the average successful applicant to Cambridge for natural sciences has at least A*A*A*), for one. Also, if you're a student who didn't like to do much work, what makes you think Cambridge would suit you?
Original post by blwork

Your best bet is do something useful and career minded, or money earning this year. Sit your A levels in the summer, which Cam have indicated they won't view as resits, so long as you haven't studied all year. Then get the grades and go to Uni, which might be Cam, or might not, after a gap year. You can't transfer into Cambridge with your A level grades as is, and why waste a year's fees anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending