The Student Room Group

RE-joiner Journey

Hey,

Just wondering if there are any re-joiners from any of the services on here. Wondering if they could shed some light on how it was for them rejoining the military and what advice on what’s good, timescales to getting back in, what to look out for and the bad?? The good, the bad & the ugly basically lol!

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which of the services did you serve in previously and which one are you hoping to join?
Reply 2
Original post by Kerzen
Which of the services did you serve in previously and which one are you hoping to join?

I was in the Army and now looking to join the RAF.
I re-joined the RAF earlier this year after nearly 4 years away. The process is different for each applicant.
Reply 4
Original post by the_worrier
I re-joined the RAF earlier this year after nearly 4 years away. The process is different for each applicant.

Hey worrier

Thanks for the reply. Realise that it would be different for everyone. What was your process like and any struggles and challenges that you found? Was it difficult to get back into the military mindset. I’ve been out 11 yrs so more of a civi then anything else lol. Has it changed it the time you’ve been away??

Thanks
Process was straight forward; still takes time.

In truth it has been a bit strange but i’m glad I did it. Changed? No.
Reply 6
Genuinely interested in people's motivation and rationale for re-joining. Is it down to missing the life and camaraderie, difficulty in adjusting back to civvy street or current and future economic conditions?

Or all of the above?

As I say, it's a genuine interest, I have no agenda. I did 32 and wouldn't conceive of returning, as the mantra 'been there, seen it, done it, got several t-shirts and wrote the book' is particularly true in my case.

A pal who hit 55, left, then re-joined as a Reservist, keeps me in touch with the day to day minutiae of life. He seems bemused that I wouldn't consider returning to the fold. I'm bemused that, with all he tells me, and what I can read for myself on open sites, he even thinks I would be remotely interested. It was what it was, I had a great life, met lifelong friends, lost too many other friends, and retired with my head held high. Move forward, never look back.

Time for the younger generation to have their fun. I have different fish to fry.
Reply 7
For me it’s boils down current and future economic state more than anything else. Also having joined up far to young and not having a civi experience and having the grass is greener mentality. Having been in civi st for over a decade whilst trying to better myself ie getting a degree ect has not for me anyway been successful. I personally feel that in the current climate I will not be having any success anytime soon and hoping the mob can hopefully help me with this, if anything I feel like I’m going backwards here in civi st. It is also missing the life, the camaraderie and sense of belonging to something greater whilst trying to make a difference which I have not managed to find since leaving just dead end jobs no prospects no hope for success or the future.
I served for 19 years, out just under 4 years, rejoined for 12 which will make me 57. Why? Just couldn’t settle in Civvy St. Not sure why.
Reply 9
Thank you both. Everyone has different circumstances and I really hope you both manage to achieve your ambitions - I'm sure you'll know how to exploit the many opportunities for personal development!

I confess I initially struggled with the rhythm of working outside the wire, but that was principally down to incompetent line managers who couldn't 'do' leadership unless it was written down in a staff manual. Once I took control of my career, moved into a different job where I was a good fit for the organisation and, importantly, it was good for me, the world became a better place. Now I have far more responsibility and influence than I ever did in the RAF, albeit on half the salary, but my new boss benefits from having a happy, confident employee who uses all the leadership, communication and soft skills honed in the military, to maximum effect.
Reply 10
See with me I only served for 6 joined as a boy soldier as driver in the army engineers not knowing what I wanted to do and with family history of serving seemed the right thing to do at the time. My time served was good managed to gain promotion to Lance jack with out really in my opinion not taking full advantage of what was on offer wit PD which is a regret. Then got injured only minor with shin splints all being a long time to diagnose and treat the issue which was the turning point for me. Felt like been put the scrap pile, so thought give civi st a try with my rose tinted glasses on.

It’s all personal experience and opinion but, Out here in civi st it’s brutal having achieved a degree out here when I came out with no GCSE’s initially with the mind set that education is king to stand out from the crowd would put me in good stead with my skill set and experience. Unfortunately it is not the case having jumped from job to job in seek of something similar to what had I left. No one is or was looking at me with my skill set when I initially left. With the current climate I feel that it will only begin to get harder. Having now applied for the police several times over the course of time with no avail and managing only to get into the volunteering aspect feel like I’ve hit a dead end with what civi st can offer, Having spent majority of my time served on a Raf camp I liked the feel of the place in comparison to that of a army camp. Personal seemed happier and better treated and looked after. Hence the app to go back into the fold for a better life again and persuit of happiness.

Hence, why I would like to know how ppl journeys have been for them going back into the fold what the recruitment process was like for them as going through now and what it’s like being back in and their experience out in civi st prior to making their decision to join up again???

Original post by the_worrier
I served for 19 years, out just under 4 years, rejoined for 12 which will make me 57. Why? Just couldn’t settle in Civvy St. Not sure why.

Original post by Ikaruss
Thank you both. Everyone has different circumstances and I really hope you both manage to achieve your ambitions - I'm sure you'll know how to exploit the many opportunities for personal development!

I confess I initially struggled with the rhythm of working outside the wire, but that was principally down to incompetent line managers who couldn't 'do' leadership unless it was written down in a staff manual. Once I took control of my career, moved into a different job where I was a good fit for the organisation and, importantly, it was good for me, the world became a better place. Now I have far more responsibility and influence than I ever did in the RAF, albeit on half the salary, but my new boss benefits from having a happy, confident employee who uses all the leadership, communication and soft skills honed in the military, to maximum effect.
Reply 11
Totally get where you're coming from buddy, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with re-joining if it works for you. However, one day you'll be driving out of the camp gates for the last time again, so maybe you should use your second spell to have fun, enjoy the life and camaraderie but also prepare yourself better for what could be a considerable period working in civvy strasse before retirement. I've done almost 10 years post RAF career, and still have plenty of working years left (mainly to fund the Boss's capital projects).

I believe you're right that the RAF is a more relaxed service than the Army (Check-in not Dig-in :smile:), but retaining total professionalism in what it does, so I'm sure you'll be able to use your personal drive and potential to be the best you can be. Take all the AT and educational opportunities on offer , and try to pcture where you'll be in 10-15 years time. The RAF has just started a journey to 're-imagine' itself (Project ASTRA) , and, if it works, it will form the foundation for a fulfilling and successful career in the service, and beyond. I was always amused at the section in the RAF role careers pages which stated the civilian equivalence jobs. For my former role of WSOp it used to be pretty restrictive eg ROV driver, but I see it has now morphed into 'transferable skills' which (for WSOp) looks far more ambitious (good job @RAF_Adam) although erring on the cautious side eg middle management - I know plenty of former WSOps who punch far above this limit. And that's the point, you should never limit yourself to what society expects of you, always reach for the stars.

Good luck and I hope someone on here can give you the relevant gen you asked for (sorry for going off piste!).
Out of interest, what RAF role are you thinking of?

Ikky
Reply 12
Original post by Ikaruss
Totally get where you're coming from buddy, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with re-joining if it works for you. However, one day you'll be driving out of the camp gates for the last time again, so maybe you should use your second spell to have fun, enjoy the life and camaraderie but also prepare yourself better for what could be a considerable period working in civvy strasse before retirement. I've done almost 10 years post RAF career, and still have plenty of working years left (mainly to fund the Boss's capital projects).

I believe you're right that the RAF is a more relaxed service than the Army (Check-in not Dig-in :smile:), but retaining total professionalism in what it does, so I'm sure you'll be able to use your personal drive and potential to be the best you can be. Take all the AT and educational opportunities on offer , and try to pcture where you'll be in 10-15 years time. The RAF has just started a journey to 're-imagine' itself (Project ASTRA) , and, if it works, it will form the foundation for a fulfilling and successful career in the service, and beyond. I was always amused at the section in the RAF role careers pages which stated the civilian equivalence jobs. For my former role of WSOp it used to be pretty restrictive eg ROV driver, but I see it has now morphed into 'transferable skills' which (for WSOp) looks far more ambitious (good job @RAF_Adam) although erring on the cautious side eg middle management - I know plenty of former WSOps who punch far above this limit. And that's the point, you should never limit yourself to what society expects of you, always reach for the stars.

Good luck and I hope someone on here can give you the relevant gen you asked for (sorry for going off piste!).
Out of interest, what RAF role are you thinking of?

Ikky

Hi ikky

Thanks for the wise words will be taking them on board. I’m going in as a driver as that’s what I “know” lol. Been given the nod for my tarc course for the start of the next yr so all is looking well to going back in. Any further advise for getting more pd and career advise etc???
Reply 13
Hi Wilson, great news for you, especially during these current challenging times and what is going to be a difficult economic future. New year, new chapter!

As you were formerly in the Army, and a wee bit older and more mature than the majority of new recruits, I'm quite sure the staff at Halton will look upon you to provide leadership and guidance to the intake. Not only will this be good for the less experienced students, but will be a good reflection on you, and is likely to be reported on favourably, which gets your RAF career off on the right foot.

Once you get your feet under the table at your first unit, then I would search out what used to be called the Education Centre, but more recently the Training and Development Flight (TDF). It may well be called the Force Development Sqn or something similar. Speak to staff there, and ask what they do and what facilities are available for your personal development. This could be signing up for educational courses including a degree, and is certainly likely to include opportunities such as Adventurous Training (AT) and other activities such as Staff Rides. These are really great and help to develop your leadership potential and awareness of military historical events and the tactical and strategic effects of those events. In my time I went on staff rides to Normandy, Norway and WW1 battlefields around Belgium and France.

There are many opportunities, both educational and physical that you just don't get in civvy street without paying an awful lot of money, and you certainly wouldn't get to do them in works time!

My over-riding advice would be to jump in with both feet, and grasp all available opportunities. This will make you stand out from the crowd, open up promotion and commissioning prospects and set you up better for when you leave the forces again.

Good luck buddy.
Reply 14
Original post by Wil son515
Hey,

Just wondering if there are any re-joiners from any of the services on here. Wondering if they could shed some light on how it was for them rejoining the military and what advice on what’s good, timescales to getting back in, what to look out for and the bad?? The good, the bad & the ugly basically lol!

Thanks in advance.

Be patient is my best advice it won't happen overnight especially with Covid 19. If you don't hear from your AFCO/ Recruiter after 3 or 4 weeks give them a gentle nudge. With Glasgow when it comes to release of docs especially service docs JPAC are your best bet. I found them very helpful after getting nowhere.
I’m coming towards the end of the re-joining process after serving 6 years in the Army 7 years ago (R. Signals). I left to go to uni, studied at the uni of Leeds, got a grad job since but something just hasn’t felt right the whole time. I first started exploring other areas related to my degree then just almost stumbled into the idea of re-joining. I thought I was crazy for wanting to join back up again (going commissioned route this time) but it’s good to hear that others miss the lifestyle the Army/ Forces has to offer. I did take this for granted at times in hindsight. There is so much on offer if you look for it even just a little bit and these opportunities just aren’t as readily available on civvie street (or as heavily subsidised).

Also, if anyone has any questions on the application process I’ll try my best to answer them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by masterspjm
I’m coming towards the end of the re-joining process after serving 6 years in the Army 7 years ago (R. Signals). I left to go to uni, studied at the uni of Leeds, got a grad job since but something just hasn’t felt right the whole time. I first started exploring other areas related to my degree then just almost stumbled into the idea of re-joining. I thought I was crazy for wanting to join back up again (going commissioned route this time) but it’s good to hear that others miss the lifestyle the Army/ Forces has to offer. I did take this for granted at times in hindsight. There is so much on offer if you look for it even just a little bit and these opportunities just aren’t as readily available on civvie street (or as heavily subsidised).

Also, if anyone has any questions on the application process I’ll try my best to answer them.

Hi, Im in an almost identical postion to you, however im very much at the other end of the process, with my CBAT coming up shortly. How long did the process take overall and have they advised on what sort of phase 1 you would do. After 7 years in R Sigs and leaving in 2013 have they put you forward for a refresher course or the full phase 1 again? I appreciate each case is different and looked at accordingly, but you are the closest to my position. Cheers.
Reply 17
Original post by ASB1990
Hi, Im in an almost identical postion to you, however im very much at the other end of the process, with my CBAT coming up shortly. How long did the process take overall and have they advised on what sort of phase 1 you would do. After 7 years in R Sigs and leaving in 2013 have they put you forward for a refresher course or the full phase 1 again? I appreciate each case is different and looked at accordingly, but you are the closest to my position. Cheers.

The General rule with re joiners as my AFCO informed me is to get you to trade training ASAP. Unless your a total muppet in which case you might do phase 1 again. 99% of re joins do the TRAC course instead
Reply 18
Original post by GMan455
Be patient is my best advice it won't happen overnight especially with Covid 19. If you don't hear from your AFCO/ Recruiter after 3 or 4 weeks give them a gentle nudge. With Glasgow when it comes to release of docs especially service docs JPAC are your best bet. I found them very helpful after getting nowhere.

Capita are a bunch of clowns they found out after I told them I had surgery in 97. Which was 2 yrs before I joined up now they want it investigated!. Then because I was signed off for 6 wks when my Mum died likewise bunch of Clowns !
Reply 19
Original post by GMan455

Cheers for the advice. You haven’t got any contact details for Glasgow by any chance. Tried ringing them the other day but couldn’t get through not if it’s due to rona or not??

Quick Reply

Latest